Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I do spinning 3-4 times a week and weight train 2-3 times a week. I try to stay (very far) away from white flour products and sweets. I also started Weight Watchers in March and have lost about 40 lbs since January.

When I first bought my vintage wedding dress the back wouldn't even close. In fact there were about six inches from each side. Now all 40 buttons go up with no problems.

I've gone from a 38" waist to a 31" waist and have also lost about seven inches off of my chest.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I really need to start exercising again. I know I'd feel a lot better and have more energy, but it's hard to get motivated. I don't have a lot of free time and by the time I get home from work I'm exhausted and ready to wind down. I've been considering walking on my lunch breaks so I'd at least be doing something, but like I said, it's hard to get motivated! I just need to stop making excuses for myself and - in the words of Nike - just do it!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I just quit my gym membership as I wasn't going and it was costing me a fortune every month!
I was thinking of starting yoga soon, but as birdwatching is my other consuming passion my partner and I usually do a lot of walking at the weekends so that keeps me going in the meantime.
Housework is a pretty good workout if you include scrubbing your floors and some heavy duty ironing ;)
I wonder does anyone have any articles in any vintage mags about how to keep fit?

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Hello

Karate is fantastic for keeping toned and strong, and it's low impact so it won't damage joints. I need to start getting more cardio in though, I absolutely hate it so I'm always unmotivated. Tango is also a nice way to get moving.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks ladies!

Miss Dottie wow, that is super rad! I also stay away from white flour type foods, they tend to make me feel so so tired.

The treadmill is a great tool. I am not a gym going gal, and working out at home is a real good fit for me.

As for taking in all my clothes :eek: Man it sucks! Ive taken in about 50% of all my clothes by at least a few inches! Even my support garments are not supportin anymore, if you know what I mean ;)

Still Im banking for a size 14-16. That will fit me to a tea.

LD

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I used to dance ballet, so I was in killer shape. (I danced for 10 years, but I gave it up because I hated the company I was with, and didn't want to go into proffesisonal dance anyway)

Now I just walk to work... It's about a half mile from my house, so equally a mile everyday (part is sliightly uphill). When I go downtown, I walk everywhere once I get there (live way too far away to walk downtown though heehee)

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Swing dancing and weight training. Amazing music, you get to dress like we love, bring back the era that we love in an inexplicable way, and you don't even realize that you've just burned twice as many calories as you've taken in. I used to be overweight...and then I discovered swing and my exercise is my social activity. It really can't be beat. :) Nothing makes me happier, and I am NOT the kind of person who would normally say that her form of exercise is what makes her happiest...

SwingTime

New in Town
My grandmother would always stay in shape by drinking water all the time,meaning that she would drink anything but WATER! She would also not eat after 7 p.m., and if anything it would be half of a fruit and a cup of hot water.She was very strict when it came to the way she looked, as for myself I try to stay away from anything that is fried or greasy. I drink water instead of artificial drinks such as sodas or juices, one thing I do a lot is swimming that's pretty much all I do,I really don't strive to look like a thin little thing as long as I look healthy and feel good I'm happy.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
crystalface said:
I used to dance ballet, so I was in killer shape. (I danced for 10 years, but I gave it up because I hated the company I was with, and didn't want to go into proffesisonal dance anyway)

Now I just walk to work... It's about a half mile from my house, so equally a mile everyday (part is sliightly uphill). When I go downtown, I walk everywhere once I get there (live way too far away to walk downtown though heehee)

I too was in ballet, but a very long time ago. I wish I could be in that shape again. I was with the Sacramento ballet company.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Do it for your Health

Kim_B said:
I really need to start exercising again. I know I'd feel a lot better and have more energy, but it's hard to get motivated. I don't have a lot of free time and by the time I get home from work I'm exhausted and ready to wind down. I've been considering walking on my lunch breaks so I'd at least be doing something, but like I said, it's hard to get motivated! I just need to stop making excuses for myself and - in the words of Nike - just do it!

I hear you. I don't usually feel like exercising when I get home, either.

However, if I spend a few minutes on the phone with my mother, she'll tell me about her health problems: bad back, bad knees, overweight, diabetes, pain in her legs, pain in her shoulder, and no balance. She can't drive and she can't walk without support. The diabetes could someday make her go blind or lose her feet or legs. What happened to her? For the past 30 years, she's done little except sit around and watch TV.

I never, ever want to be in such bad shape. Being at a proper weight and eating a good diet means more than fitting into attractive clothing or even liking how you look. It means you're more likely to be healthy when you get older.

Once we get off the phone, I have no trouble getting motivated to pump iron or dance up and down on the step.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I hear you. I don't usually feel like exercising when I get home, either.

However, if I spend a few minutes on the phone with my mother, she'll tell me about her health problems: bad back, bad knees, overweight, diabetes, pain in her legs, pain in her shoulder, and no balance. She can't drive and she can't walk without support. The diabetes could someday make her go blind or lose her feet or legs. What happened to her? For the past 30 years, she's done little except sit around and watch TV.

I never, ever want to be in such bad shape. Being at a proper weight and eating a good diet means more than fitting into attractive clothing or even liking how you look. It means you're more likely to be healthy when you get older.

Once we get off the phone, I have no trouble getting motivated to pump iron or dance up and down on the step.

Oh I know how that goes! Not so much with my mother, but more with my Grandmother. We've had some recent health scares in my family so I've decided that I want to be healthier...not just for myself, but so my family members won't have to worry about me. My aunt is overweight and was sent to the hospital with high blood sugar, high blood pressure, and an enlarged heart. I worry so much about her kids - namely the youngest girl (she's 16) because she is looking more and more like her mother each day, and not in a good way. So, I'm hoping with her mom being put on a strict diet and having to watch what she eats, and if I start to as well, maybe we can all get healthier together.

I also revamped my profile on SparkPeople, and I intend to stick with it this time around! Last time I lost about 10 lbs, but gained it all back with the holidays and stress from work. Since I've been diagnosed with some digestive disorders, I've been trying to watch how much I eat...I figure I might as well watch *what* I eat too!

Here's to turning over a new, healthy leaf!!:cheers1:

This is a great thread! I have been trying to loose weight and exercise since Feb. I have a knee condition that makes walking on my treadmill the only thing I can do with out agrivating it. However, if I have a flare up that means time lost with no tredmill. I have lost 15lbs since then and 2" in my waist. It is going very slow but I won't give up.
I recently tried taking Glucofast, an all natural supliment that is soposed to help if your insulin is messed up. Well I guess mine was fine (I don't eat sugary foods or white flour) and now it gave my Hypoglycemia.:mad:
I should have left well enough alone.
Now I am trying to get my system back to normal so I can get back to exersising.
Congrats to you ladies that have lost weight!:eusa_clap You are my inspiration!

olive bleu

One Too Many
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Bravo Paisley..This is the best reason of all to stay fit. I agree with you 100% by the time my mother was 32 she was on a lot of drugs for hypertension, cholestoral problems, heart disease and now she constantly complains of sore knees and a bad back. I swore i would never let that happen to me,. I eat far better than my mother ever did but i have let myself slip in the exercise dept.I absolutely loathe organized exercise ( as in gym or an aerobics class) I have always managed to do pretty well just with my normal lifestyle.I sold my car about 8 years ago and now i either walk or take the bus.But i went from a busy catering job to a desk job about a year & half ago and i have really packed on the pounds.I feel extremely unhealthy and am getting aches & pains.I have gotten lazy and hardly walk anymore. walking to work is about 2 miles but i have done it. you all really inspire me to get moving again!

Grace

Vendor
Is it possible to excercise to gain curves? ;) I've got the ideal 1920s figure.

During the summer, I walked almost every day. Now the weather is cold, and my chihuahua runs from me when she sees I've got her sweater and leash in hand.

I don't feel good now that I've quit moving so much.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I have to second the dancing and say that for some age can make a difference. I began dancing in my 20s and must say not only did it do wonders for my backside,but my once scrawny chicken legs are no more.Then,once I hit 30 my metabolism slowed and my curves blossomed.Now,I have to watch my weight which is quite a bit different from the days when I couldn't keep it on.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Yeah, I second ballet (or other studio dances) for curves. I used to have a round bottom, but now that I don't dance 12 hours a week, I am just round everywhere (plus I am over 30).

Weights can add muscle, which may translate into curves if you have enough body fat to cover them up. The key is too add muscle in the chest, back, buttocks and thighs. Then you tighten the stomach muscles, then whammo! Curves! At least in theory. I'd hire a personal trainer for that though.

I do the minimum necessary exercise at this point. I have a stair stepper machine, I do 30 minutes 4-5 times a week. I should do more if I want to lose though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112