Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutty Neighbors

Roger

A-List Customer
Well, I'm living in this corporate owned home here in California for a while. One neighbor is a real jerk. A couple branches from a tree grew over the fence and was 10 feet above the ground. So he cut it back to the fence, fine with me, but instead of disposing of the branches himself the moron threw them over into my yard. I came home from work, saw what he did and threw them right back over the fence. "Al" comes out in his too small sweats and tells me that he didn't want it growing into his yard and since it was my tree I should get rid of it. So I told him that "you cut it, you dispose of it. If you do that again it will be you who will be thrown over the fence". Was I being too diplomatic?:D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A year or so back my next-door-neighbor didn't just cut down the tree limbs that spread over into his yard, he cut *all the trees* along the property line, right down to ground level, even the ones that were on my side of the line. Turned out his wife had given him a chain saw for his birthday, and he just wanted to be sure it worked right. Now I get to see his kids bouncing on their trampoline all day and they get a lovely view of my washing hanging on the clothesline. I miss the trees!

Novella

Practically Family
My parents use to live next to someone who, on a few occasions, threw dog poop over the fence instead of cleaning it up themselves.

Once the dog jumped the fence. Considering the height of the fence that was the quite the feat. Being a little kid, I thought it was cool to have a dog magically appear in the backyard.

Kim_B

Practically Family
One of our neighbors feels the need to burn piles of leaves in our yard - close enough to their side of the property line that they think we won't notice it's really in our yard. The spot happens to be where we place our trash for pick-up and since we usually take the trash out at night, aren't able to see the ashy mess we've just walked into. Between DH and I, three pairs of shoes have been ruined! :eusa_doh:

Their daughter, on the other hand, is a total sweetheart and will often mow our yard in the summer or shovel snow in the winter simply because "she's bored."

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My neighbor built a six foot high wooden privacy fence along the property line - about 2 feet on my side. It was undiscovered until I had my lot surveyed.
So I used his fence as one wall when I fenced the rest of the yard.

This may seem like a major offense, but I'm grateful for the fence when he and his formidable bare belly are outdoors in the summer.

A friend of mine used to ride his bicycle to campus every day. And every day some guy that lived near him would chase himand try to push him off his bike. We think the guy was a care-in-the-community type (there is a mental health outpatients clinic on my block). Other than that, my neighbours have been decidedly normal.

bk

How's this for psychologically disturbed:

I rent the top floor of a two-family. My ex had rigged up a little pulley system out the back window so she could feed the stray cats in the alley. Well, the downstairs neighbors moved out at some point and had their hillbilly cousin installed. (We knew we were in trouble when we happened to see his 'decor' of 1) a poster of Pacino as Scarface, and, 2) a wall-sized Confederate flag) He wasn't there less than a week when my girlfriend hoisted up the tray one morning to find this note: 'If you want to feed cats, go get some of your own. If I see any cats back here, I will kill them.'

Obviously, I flipped out on him and tried to get him evicted, but five years later, he's still there. Occasionally, we grunt at each other.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Every Fall my neighbor and I would have the War of the Leaf Blowers. He would blow the leaves onto my lawn and then I would graciously reciprocate. Same leaves back and forth all season. He moved a few weeks ago so I guess I win !

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im glad I live in my box :)

My across the hall neighbor is afraid of my dog (Georgia). Her kids know and love my dog, but she wont let them play with her.

Shes very rude as to if I have Georgia and we are waiting for the elevator, she will rush in it first and not give me a chance. I just let her. She must think that if she is in an enclosed space for too long with my dog, that my dog will go crazy and just bite whatever is close at hand. I mean thats logical right? We have lived her nearly two years and I just think its crazy.

Where as there is a lady beneath me who has a three year old who loved my pooch and so does her son. [huh]

LD

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Our next door neighbor (literally, since we live in an apartment) happens to be a meth addict. Fabulous! At least once a day we hear him banging on the walls in his apartment (when my roomie asked him what was up he said he was "fixing things", but in reality he's just tearing the place apart), sobbing really loudly or shouting curse words like there's no tomorrow.

We feel bad for the guy though, he's been very nice to us and he just seems like he's going through a really bad spot in his life right now.

Shearer

Practically Family
A few years ago my parents got into a Hatfield/McCoy situation with a neighbor who called a tree trimming service, posed as the resident of my parents' house and had them hack the tops off all of their pepper trees.

I didn't know trees were so infuriating 'til I started reading all of these [huh]

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
One of the reasons that I moved back here to Des Moines to be with my mother is that we have a drug house just up the street. The cars line up in the alleyway to receive their meth or weed or crack or whatever it is, you can see them coming to the place even in the middle of the night.

Neighbors on all sides of them have complained; the police come, bust them for a few days and then they are home and right back at it. Must be some sort of payola going on, that is what the neighbors think. They did manage to lose their little 8-year-old boy, who has been adopted out.

Mother and I like to sit out on the porch, but sometimes we go in when the really rowdy looking characters come around. I told mother if she ever hears a popping noise, to get inside as fast as she can, or at least to get down on the porch. I know people who have been killed on their porches because of evil neighbors.

Mind you, this is a lower-middle-class neighborhood in the Heartland, last place on earth I would have thought would turn into meth heaven. I hate drugs, but they seem to follow me: when I lived in NYC, it was the drug capital of the world, then I moved to San Diego and, for awhile, it was the crystal meth capital of the world. Now, here I am in Iowa and....

karol

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I think we are the nutty neighbors, cuz looking around I dont see anyone else. Ok, well maybe the guy who is constantly working on his car.....and parks one of them infront of our house.....other than that..nope.

dr greg

One Too Many
good fences make good neighbours

The degenerate hillbilly on the next hill over from me owns a bull, the nice retired schoolteacher on the other side of me has a few cows. I have only steers on my place. So naturally, when the bull breaks down the fences to get across my place to the cows, and my steers nearly kill him, it's my fault. After insulting my wife, who had been voluntarily trying to teach his inbred scum offspring some basic stuff like reading, he threatened to shoot me and my cattle (not for the first time), then got drunk and rang me up and said he wanted to drive me out and back to the city and offering me some more physical threats "meet me down at the gate now" etc. Righto, said I ,and went down in the middle of a thunderstorm to meet him. I paced up and down bashing his fence with a piece of wood daring him to come out and get some. You know who came out? HIS WIFE, telling me there was no need for this kind of thing, and that it was all my fault. The gutless ratbag was all talk. I told her that unlike her husband I don't insult women, but if he ever pulled something like that again, serious harm would definitely follow regardless of the consequences.
Didn't hear a thing from him for 2 years, a bully is a bully is a bully whatever their age...you just have to call the bluff.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Pigeon toe's story reminds me of the days when I had the privilege of living next door to a meth lab -- it was quiet and inconspicuous most of the time, but on delivery days, chaos would be in full bloom. The most memorable incident happened when the meth crowd got hold of a whole crate of fireworks -- skyrockets, boomers, screamers, the real deal -- and decided in one of their drug-fueled binges to set them all off in the middle of the street, firing some of them *horizontally,* not vertically, for added thrills.

Who says life in a small town is quiet and peaceful?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ