Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYPD going back to super strict 8- point hat uniform policy

dostacos

Practically Family
one of the reasons the LAPD HAD a great reputation was the look of the men and women in uniform. [remember they still have less personnel covering a greater area than any other major city police force] They have had issues of late, however a well dresses cop is never a bad thing.

it is a shame, we had the most respected PD for a long long time because we did not have the corruption that others had, sadly we seem to have caught up. {rampart}

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
dostacos said:
one of the reasons the LAPD HAD a great reputation was the look of the men and women in uniform.

True enough. I grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles, South Gate. Adam-12 used to be one of my favorite shows as a kid. IIRC, the actors wore the correct uniform for the season.

In my opinion the degeneration of appearance standards in police departments is a reflection of the "casualization" of society in general. It could also be influenced by a general trend against police officers looking too "militaristic" after Viet Nam. I guess a baseball cap that says POLICE on it is thought to be more approachable. It's good to see someone is standing up and saying "Enough! We're professionals--let's look like professionals!"

Cheers,
Tom

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Maybe my Marine Corps experience spoiled me, and God knows I'm no sartorial paragon myself, but it's always bothered me to see a person in uniform who didn't make that uniform look as sharp is it could look. I'll be looking to see how this plays out. Tho I must say, most NYC cops I see on the beat look just fine. I think the hats will make a difference. Seems a lot of policemen don't like wearing their covers. In the heat of NY I can't blame them, but the hat makes them more identifiable. We'll see how this works out.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
I think all public servants should adopt similar habits concerning their appearance.

I say well done and hope it's successful on every level!!

Aerol

A-List Customer
Works for me

In Chicago the cops have been known to wear "skullies" (tight fitting ski caps) in the winter. It's hard to respect someone who looks like that.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Aerol said:
In Chicago the cops have been known to wear "skullies" (tight fitting ski caps) in the winter. It's hard to respect someone who looks like that.
I wear those during the winter. Keeping my ears warm takes precedence for me at 3 in the morning on a freezing night.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I do not think its a casualization. Most departments have extreme budget issues. When I worked for a surrounding counties sheriffs office you had to wear your issued stetson if you were working a crash or directing traffic. In fact if you were seen not wearing it you would be written up. The problem was the hat was cheap, perfectly round and would absolutely give you a migraine. Now I work for a state agency of about 30 officers total. I have been there 4 years and our operating budget has doubled. But it still does not cover everything that is needed. I would bet there is not a department in this country that has the budget it needs let alone the manpower. I have been issued all my equipment but to have what I consider the best equipment, almost everything I wear has been purchased by me. We were looking at nice custom embroidered ball caps for wear. We came up with one that would cost around 20 dollars per hat (only 30 people). The department said no too expensive. So we as officers said fine we can either cover the difference or buy or own. Once the chief heard about this he said they will purchase them. Sadly though money affects everything for us. We are the lowest priority for money. We have to fight just to get a couple of new cars every COUPLE of years.
I also think as time goes on you will see police looking more functional and less polished. In many cities its more like going out and doing battle for a shift than serving the local citizens. Because of call volumes most officers are concentrated in the worst sections so the prominent citizen is saying I never see the police.
As for our uniforms we had the sharp exspensive ones but switched suppliers to a cheaper one. I have literally had my pants start unravelling. Now we are going to experiment with a top quality supplier that I am very excited about. But it still goes away from traditional. Its got cargo pockets, which will help out since nowadays we have to carry a ton of stuff. In the end I think that the traditional hats of old are a luxury that most departments won't pay for. Letalone the fact that young new cops are ball cap wearers.
I personally do not like the big round police hats but do like the ones that are crushed if that's the right word. Like old bomber pilot hats. I've seen them on jersey cops.
Anyway sorry for the long post.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Good points, Indycop. Food for thought.

One of my many peeves is that so many people expect a large, well trained, well equiped police force, fire department, teacher cadre, etc., but when it comes time to paying for it all they scream bloody murder about not raising taxes. Well, how else will it be paid for? And if the taxes are cut, who is going to have to make do?

And I didn't consider the issue of which do you dress for: the inner-city battlezone or the affluent side?

Like everything else, it's easy to peer in from the outside and criticize, I guess. A lot of things have changed in the last 40-50 years!

Cheers,
Tom

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I have several family members and friends who are in law enforcement. Some with prior military, some without. Each of their departments demands that their uniforms at all times are squared away. A deputy can be squared away when wearing jeans and a uniform shirt if need be. The growing trend toward a paramilitary uniform for officers is a shame as far as I'm concerned. Police forces and military forces serve two different functions. A tactical team needs the kit they use, but regular officers do not.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
LEUII said:
I have several family members and friends who are in law enforcement. Some with prior military, some without. Each of their departments demands that their uniforms at all times are squared away. A deputy can be squared away when wearing jeans and a uniform shirt if need be. The growing trend toward a paramilitary uniform for officers is a shame as far as I'm concerned. Police forces and military forces serve two different functions. A tactical team needs the kit they use, but regular officers do not.
Actually given the events at columbine and VT we as patrol now carry ar-15s and some m-16s in our vehicles as well as ballistic gear. Our firearms training is going from just quailifying to a more combat oriented training. Every year more officers are killed than the year before. So I carry more than what I am issued because when it comes to it the battle for my life will likely be over before any swat arrives. My department though they do not have a swat team is sending 3 of us to Swat school next month so that we can at least be trained for it.
I understand looking professional and approachable but todays criminal has no problem killing a cop. They do prey on the unkempt unprofessional looking cops. We are training more toward warrior mentality. (An excellent book , warriors by rex grossman). I too am ex military and take pride in my uniform. I guess that influences my liking a military style outfit. But I remember joking with another officer a couple nights ago that I bet before we retire we will be dressed like star wars stormtroopers.

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I agree completely that our police forces need more tactical training and equipment. What I have a problem with is that many departments are not going about this in a professional manner. Too often men are issues weapons without adequate training in the different aspects of their usage. There is a great deal of difference in an AR15 and a combat shotgun. I was once at a hostage situation where the entry team was being covered by officers carrying 870's loaded with 00 shot. They were over 70 yards from the perp's location. Useless. There wasn't a tactical shooter on the site.

I've also seen too many younger officers in their BDU's with HK's on their hip and and AR15 in the car who just thought their were 'too tough'. They had little training as was evidenced by the way they handled their weapons and the manner in which they dealt with the public. If departments are going to be more tactical in their training they need to really TRAIN.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately florida only requires that you qualify once a year and its not realistic. My department demands 4 times a year day/night both pistol and ar-15. The problem with too young folks is there are fewer oldtimers every year so we get the new generation. And with the requirement of more college it is hard to get good people. College grads can make a whole lot more money in other professions.
Anyway back to topic I would wear a hat like the jersey style or polizei style. Just don't care for huge round one like I have for dress. I asked if I put a hat badge on my black fed could I wear that, they just looked at me like I was crazy! Haha!

Ben

One of the Regulars
Can someone post a photo of the 8-point hat? It wasn't referred to it that way in the article.

Are the police still required to wear ties? I know the open collar look is a little more casual, but it seems like you don't want to have a tie that people could grab onto. Maybe a clip on is a good compromise?

As an outside, observer, though I agree the police force shouldn't look too militaristic. It reinforces the 'Us vs. Them' mentality that causes problems and helps attract the wrong kind of people to the force.

One appearance thing that might help police forces would be to set strict physical fitness requirements. In shape folks not only look better, but have a much better time of dealing with the challenges thrown at them.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Ben said:
Are the police still required to wear ties? I know the open collar look is a little more casual, but it seems like you don't want to have a tie that people could grab onto. Maybe a clip on is a good compromise?...

Yes, most police forces with a tie in their uniform employ clip-ons. Bouncers do the same.

I think dress uniforms for formal events might have a "proper" tie. Maybe Indycop can elaborate on this...

...Or maybe he asked his chief if it was OK to wear a bowtie instead, together with his fed. lol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Yes, most police forces with a tie in their uniform employ clip-ons. Bouncers do the same.

I think dress uniforms for formal events might have a "proper" tie. Maybe Indycop can elaborate on this...

...Or maybe he asked his chief if it was OK to wear a bowtie instead, together with his fed. lol

lol if a cop wears a tie its a clipon. definite officer safety issue. We only wear our official hat and tie for big things like police memorial day.

dostacos

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Maybe my Marine Corps experience spoiled me, and God knows I'm no sartorial paragon myself, but it's always bothered me to see a person in uniform who didn't make that uniform look as sharp is it could look. I'll be looking to see how this plays out. Tho I must say, most NYC cops I see on the beat look just fine. I think the hats will make a difference. Seems a lot of policemen don't like wearing their covers. In the heat of NY I can't blame them, but the hat makes them more identifiable. We'll see how this works out.
that reminds me of a CHiPS episode where the watch commander complained that Ponch's shirts were too tailored, he kept saying he did not fit off the shelf shirts, at the end he wore a regular shirt that really looked terrible,baggy etc. the boss looked at him and told him to go back they way it waslol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
dostacos said:
that reminds me of a CHiPS episode where the watch commander complained that Ponch's shirts were too tailored, he kept saying he did not fit off the shelf shirts, at the end he wore a regular shirt that really looked terrible,baggy etc. the boss looked at him and told him to go back they way it waslol
after seeing the trooper in Wild hogs I wouldn't want to wear a fitted shirtlol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ