Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odd duck of a vintage straw "Schuman & Sullivan"

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked this up some months back
DSC_0020.jpg

It was cheap & I was looking for a good summer lid. It has these nifty fenestrations on the side to let in the cooling breezes & sports a leather hatband & real leather sweat but was sized "L" rather than traditional hat sizes, leading me to think it was a cheaper sort of hat.
It is a Schuman & Sullivan product, a company I must admit I had never heard of, based out of West Haven CT.
All that I can find out about the company is that they were (are) in the "Broad Woven Fabric Man-made Fiber & silk" trade.
Then, lo & behold another Schuman & Sullivan product surfaces for sale & is a wool blend number refered to as a "CONNECTICUT CRUSHER" ... weird.[huh]
I am not entirely sure that this is not made of some sort of paper, 'cuz it doesn't behave like any straw I have come accross e.g.- the brim doesn't "snap" it pretty much must be hot ironed into shape and the material tends to stretch and remain stretched rather than attempting to reassume its former shape.
Does anyone have another Schuman & Sullivan lid or know about the company?
Many thanks,

Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto