Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Odd question: daily clothes..

The Good

Call Me a Cab
treasure2.jpg

Heh, this one's my avatar, it's Humphrey Bogart as Fred C. Dobbs from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, if you didn't get the reference. This look sported by Bogart is actually a pretty big inspiration for how I dress if I'm not wearing a sport coat (I don't have an actual suit, unfortunately). This attire, while simple in that it just consists of a weather-beaten fedora, an everyday work shirt (I believe the actual shirt is blue denim, since there's a colored film poster depicting it), slacks, and leather shoes or boots, is ironically often perceived as a bit dressy by today's standards. Most of what I wear in particular, is olive-colored or khaki pants, jeans of various shades of blue, polos or short sleeved button-down shirts for when it's particularly warm, and long-sleeved dress shirts, and maybe the occasional flannel shirt, as well as a conservative looking belt (one that does not bring to mind rock or metal bands), leather shoes or boots (not necessarily dress shoes, but...), and of course, a fedora (I have a Panama that's for the hot days, mostly in summer too).

My advice is to just be yourself. You don't have to faithfully copy the attire of your favorite actor or fictional character (Indiana Jones comes to mind), or else you may not feel as natural as you should. But if you do feel natural, you'll definitely carry off the look better for it.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Mysterious Mose said:
Yep, but wear it like you mean it. For me it's like wearing shoes. I never leave the house without some kind of headgear, did it by accident once last year, when I noticed I felt very exposed :eek:

A really good point, I'm of the impression that you could wear almost anything as long as you are confident in wearing it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Only three weeks. That's the salient point. Wear the hat when you feel like it. The more you do it, the more natural it will feel. There's nothing unnatural about a fedora and a T shirt, really. If the weather gets seriously warm, it might be time to consider a Panama, maybe from good old PanamaBob. A Panama hat in the summer time is a very pleasant thing.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Ethan Bentley said:
A really good point, I'm of the impression that you could wear almost anything as long as you are confident in wearing it.

So am I, Mr. Bentley. That's a good impression, and it rings true to me. If one is shy and highly self-conscious about wearing an outfit, it will show to the public around him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points