Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of Sheep-Dip, Rot-Gut, and Furniture Polish. The worst of the worst.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Liquors, beers, wines, concoctions. There are some that make you wonder- What were they thinking?!

Have have two in my bar right now;
Gordon's Grapefruit Gin & Gordon's Spearmint Gin.
Blah! *yucky* Nothing slightly appealing about either one. I tried the Grapefruit Gin in a Gimlet, wound up tasting like a lime ice pop, not in a good way.

"So,,, what won't you have?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Thread inspired by Tomasso's:
Tomasso said:
The mere utterance of Peppermint Schnapps starts my stomach fluttering.:eek:

*Dedicated to Mr. jamespowers.;) :D

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I'd still like to try those two Gins - just for the experience.

My suggestions - Campari, Cynar, Suze and Frangelico.

bottomlesspit_abitoffun.jpg

Ethan Bentley said:
I'd still like to try those two Gins - just for the experience.

My suggestions - Campari, Cynar, Suze and Frangelico.

bottomlesspit_abitoffun.jpg

Your list is pretty much my list. However, Frangelico is good in certain mixed drinks. ;)
French Fry
1 oz Frangelico® hazelnut liqueur
1/2 oz triple sec
2 oz lime juice
1 dash pineapple juice

Frangelico Float
1 cup ice cream
1 1/4 oz Frangelico® hazelnut liqueur
1 oz creme de cacao
1/4 cup milk
1 oz chocolate syrup

I have to add Pimms and Unicum to this list. *yucky* What were they thinking? :eusa_doh: ;)

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Your list is pretty much my list. However, Frangelico is good in certain mixed drinks. ;)

I have to add Pimms and Unicum to this list. *yucky* What were they thinking? :eusa_doh: ;)

I've not had the pleasure, or not as the case may be, of trying Unicum. But Mrs. B would be livid if I got rid of Pimm's.

Scotch, Absinthe and Pimm's are the order of the day for her.

Are you drinking it on it's own or mixed like this?

wi_sippingnews15_093.jpg

Your mixing of Frangelico looks like you're putting a good amount of things to hide the sickly taste. :) I had it in a liqueur glass and in a poor relation of a Martini.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Four Roses - A Blend

This is NOT the wonderful Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel or any of the Straight Bourbon Whiskey versions. For Honorable Mention in the rot-gut category I nominate the Four Roses bottling, the one found right at floor level in your shop, the shelves and bottles with all the dust on them, right next to the Sterno. This is the stuff which is made with a whisper of the real stuff and then adulterated with 2 hour old white-dog. I'm not qualified to say that this is the worst legally produced stuff on the planet but it's in the herd, for sure.

filfoster

One Too Many
Casket floral spray

Boodles said:
This is NOT the wonderful Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel or any of the Straight Bourbon Whiskey versions. For Honorable Mention in the rot-gut category I nominate the Four Roses bottling, the one found right at floor level in your shop, the shelves and bottles with all the dust on them, right next to the Sterno. This is the stuff which is made with a whisper of the real stuff and then adulterated with 2 hour old white-dog. I'm not qualified to say that this is the worst legally produced stuff on the planet but it's in the herd, for sure.
I can recall actually drinking this once at a field party. This is a strong contender.

Geesie

Practically Family
Chartreuse. Why does it exist and why is it so expensive? Is there something that it can mix in that tastes good?

Geesie said:
Chartreuse. Why does it exist and why is it so expensive? Is there something that it can mix in that tastes good?

Midnight Frolic
2 oz Hendrick’s gin
1 oz Yellow Chartreuse
Fresh blueberries
Muddle the berries and shake all ingredients in a shaker with ice.
Pour the contents over the muddled blueberries. :D

This is actually ok. I have tasted much worse. I know we are hiding the Chartreuse taste here as well. ;)

Now this is nasty:

Art of Choke
1oz white rum
1oz Cynar
1/8 oz lime juice
1/8 oz demerara syrup
1/3 oz Green Chartreuse
Fresh mint sprig (garnish)
Muddle a mint sprig in the mixing glass
with the other ingredients
Stir and strain over fresh ice in a rocks glass
Garnish with an artfully positioned mint sprig and you have wasted your time on this drink. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

filfoster

One Too Many
Pick your Green Fire poison

jamespowers said:
Now this is nasty:

Art of Choke
1oz white rum
1oz Cynar
1/8 oz lime juice
1/8 oz demerara syrup
1/3 oz Green Chartreuse
Garnish with an artfully positioned mint sprig and you have wasted your time on this drink. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

That's why you're the Bartender...

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Now this is nasty:

Art of Choke
1oz white rum
1oz Cynar
1/8 oz lime juice
1/8 oz demerara syrup
1/3 oz Green Chartreuse

Have you just made this up? :) Does it come with a Campari chaser? lol

filfoster

One Too Many
Picked your poison

jamespowers said:
Try the midnight Frolic. I am serious. It tastes just fine and won't kill you like Cynar or Campari. ;) :p
Jamespowers, I believe you. It is too embarassing to admit that I have NONE of these ingredients in house at the moment. Well, I have gin, but my tastes are low and I admit to liking Gordon's and Beefeaters. Someday.....

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Advocaat and peach schnapps, disgusting things. And I can't stand any of those sparkling sweet wines like Asti Spumante (or Asti Spewmadly as we used to call it back home) that teenage girls throw down themselves in vast quantities.

I love Pimms though, one of the most refreshing of summer drinks.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
Grapefruit gin doesn't actually sound too bad. MINT gin on the other hand...

Let's see... cheap akvavit is pretty nasty stuff. It's not so bad when chilled until it is viscous, after a few toasts (you have to toast each person in the room individually, of course, so if there are five people, everyone takes four shots).

Cheap grappa is pretty foul; probably the worst clear liquor I've had.

I can't abide most liqueurs alone. They have to be mixed with something that cuts the sweetness significantly.

As far as mixed drinks, there's the Cement Mixer, favorite first college drink of gullible freshmen:
Take half a shot of Bailey's. Hold it in your mouth.
Take half a shot of lime juice. Swish it around.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
No. It is a real drink that you can look up in a few large bartender books. Large being the operative word.
I am sure you could make it even worse by adding Campari. ;) :p
However, I am sure someone here will make it and love it. C'est la vie. [huh] :eusa_doh:

Sounds like a challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko