Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK...so what is your oldest hat?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oldest hat.

Hey Art, this is Rob, you know the tall guy from the vintage expo in Santa Monica? Yeah I think my oldest hat would be the good old wool 8 piece cap. It is a light blue with a green window pane pattern, very nice condition as well! I would say that it is from the early 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s could be late 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. It has a green liner that has some grate graphics on it. It was made in Chicago by Kuehns. The address is in it as well. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure you have seen it Art, I know that I have worn it to the vintage shows a few times. Speaking of which, is Roberto coming down to Santa Monica in Feb? Or does he only do the San Fran show now.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Rob, it's good to talk to you again!! Yes, I know the cap. Very cool!!
Roberto isn't doing the Santa Monica shows anymore. With tightend airline security he doesn't get as much time off anymore + Jula is having some problems. I'll fill yo uin at the end of the month.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hay Art! Yeah, I thought you would remember that cap. Any way, that's to bad about Roberto not coming down any more. I guess I'll have to save up some change and go see him.

So, is there an expo this month? Or is it in Feb?

Any way, good to chat with ay and and take care.

PS. As for the oldest hat, I think you have us all beat! 1830's Top Hat eh, Yeah that's what I call an old hat!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sounds grate! Hey, if you are in Hollywood around the 19th this month you should go to the Argyle Hotel and see Dean Mora's band play! I don't know if you have seen or heard there band but they play only music from 1925-1937. They are the best band and the Argyle is a 1930's Art Deco hotel on Sunset. It's the best place to see a grate band, dance and sport the best vintage in the closet!!!

The cover is $15.00 at the door and it starts around 9:00pm and goes to 11:30.

Well, I got to get dressed up to go dancing in Pasadena! Take care,

Rob.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Well being pretty small into the hat angle, I really only have a few and they are pretty new ones at that. However, today I met with Art at his store and I got my newest and most favorite lid. It's a great fitting Borsalino. I put it on and left it on for a 1/2 hour while Art showed me around his store. When it was time to go, I couldn't say good bye to it, so it came home with me. Thanks also Art for the Borsalino hat box to house it in.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Well Art the Borsalino is just great. I love it. I don't know the vintage of it, but since it's my only old hat, I thought it would certainly be my oldest ala the name of this thread.

Then I remembered I have two Police Bobby helmets from New Zealand that have the kings crown (rather than the newer Queens crown) medallion on the front. I also have a English and an Italian Bobby style helmet.

HatsEnough

Banned
I guess this 1920s Stetson long hair is my oldest hat…

stetsonlonghair03.jpg

stetsonlonghair01.jpg

stetsonlonghair02.jpg

stetsonlonghair05.jpg

stetsonlonghair07.jpg

The reeding n the sweatband is breaking up, but it is still serviceable. I've worn it many times.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
My oldest hats thus far

I have a good amount from the 20's and 30's, but these two are pretty early...

Fedora:

1916 Stetson Pace Maker

DSC05104.jpg

DSC05106.jpg

DSC05077.jpg

Bowler:

Early 1900s Stetson Bowler

DSC04554.jpg

DSC04555.jpg

DSC04560.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1916 seems very specific. Is it dated?

Its not dated, but after a good amount of research by quite a few guys on the lounge, advertisements do not show the hat before 1916 and not after about 1919. The really wide leather sweat and old Large Stetson Select Quality Stamp make the hat pretty early. Its really a 1916-1919, but I would honestly say its earlier than later.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
Hey, I forgot I have an early 1900's era Stetson Bowler, too.

stetsonbowler07.jpg

stetsonbowler01.jpg

stetsonbowler05.jpg

stetsonbowler03.jpg

stetsonbowler06.jpg

It's sort of interesting that the buffer/hat cleaner pad came with the hat. It was tucked up inside the sweatband. It also came in its original hat box. I am a sucker for the original hat box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112