Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK...so what is your oldest hat?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That is a cool hat.

It really is! Ive seen it in person and that hat not only has a lot of character but its truly a real "soft hat." I was surprised how much stiffener that felt contained and even after all these years, still would hold a dry crease.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Borsalino Nutria that I bought from randooch I have it dated from 1921

$(KGrHqN,!iUE2L-ZNhY5BNsvj(VeTQ~~0_3.JPG

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That is such a neat hat! That ribbon is so wide, it makes the crown look short. Which I'm sure its not. How wide is that ribbon? That's a great looking 4 row stitched brim edge as well. I think later on, Stetson had a edge treatment like that. I believe they called it their Wafer-Edge.

Iyor

One of the Regulars
The ribbon is about 2 3/4" wide. I'm having the ribbon fixed by Gary White so that it stays straight against the hat.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
The ribbon is about 2 3/4" wide. I'm having the ribbon fixed by Gary White so that it stays straight against the hat.

2 3/4, wow, thats a wide ribbon! I'm sure that Gary White will do an excellent job securing the ribbon. I would love to see a photo of the open crown profile of that hat.

Very nice boater... on the date, I think it's hard. Straw boaters in this style were popular into the fifties. There are a number of major brand examples on ebay now that share identifying elements from 1950's hats, but because they are boaters, are invariably advertised as 1920s-1930s.

Both companies go back a long way, but Lock & Co. uses the same logo today. I have a fifties Brooks Brothers fedora with a very similar sans serif "made in England" imprint and sweatband finish. The taped sweatband seam, interesting corrugated material behind the sweat and the size label are features that suggest this example might be older than that.

Not very helpful, I'm afraid!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Lefty, Thats one of my favorites from your collection. The finish is gorgeous, the pug looks great on the hat (even if its a replacement), and I love how flat the brim is. Is there a leather sweatband underneath the fabric, or is the sweatband completely fabric?

I have a number of hats from the 1930s and a Stetson derby that might drift back to the twenties. Looking at the liner imprint, I'm going out on a limb guessing that this boater might be earlier than 1920. Only reference I can find to the maker is an 1890 want ad from the San Francisco Morning Call.

eagle5.jpg

eagle3.jpg

eagle2.jpg

chronicle2.jpg

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Very nice boater... on the date, I think it's hard. Straw boaters in this style were popular into the fifties. There are a number of major brand examples on ebay now that share identifying elements from 1950's hats, but because they are boaters, are invariably advertised as 1920s-1930s.

Both companies go back a long way, but Lock & Co. uses the same logo today. I have a fifties Brooks Brothers fedora with a very similar sans serif "made in England" imprint and sweatband finish. The taped sweatband seam, interesting corrugated material behind the sweat and the size label are features that suggest this example might be older than that.

Not very helpful, I'm afraid!

NO very helpful indeed! Hopefully between '25 and '55... still my oldest :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21