Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old-fashioned hiking boots

normanf

One of the Regulars
I ordered the urban version of Galibier's famous Super Guide mountain boots. The Super Touring is double-stitched, all-leather boot made by Richard Pontvert in France. Here is a picture:

product_thumb.php

The Super Guide was the top of the line boot, worn by mountaineers in expeditions all over the world. Its still one of the few boots still hand-made.

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
According to several Finnish sources, traditional Finnish "Lappish boots" (fi. lapikkaat) were the best option for boreal spring, summer and fall. These boots have been made since 1930 with the same patterns by the same factory. These were also used by the Finnish Defense Forces from 1920s to ~1980s. These were treated with mixture of tar, tallow and blubber to make them almost waterproof (I have recipes if anyone is interested).

Lappish boots - Töysän Kenkätehdas Oy

001PV-np.jpg

toysalapikas.jpg

botty

Familiar Face
I have just bought a pair of these. They feel really well made, the sole is not as curved as the picture suggests. Going to take some breaking in though but the feel like they will live longer than I will.

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/268r-hill-boots.html

edit to add: If someone can work out how to post the photo off the website feel free. The picture seems to have some protection on it.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I have just bought a pair of these. They feel really well made, the sole is not as curved as the picture suggests. Going to take some breaking in though but the feel like they will live longer than I will.

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/268r-hill-boots.html

edit to add: If someone can work out how to post the photo off the website feel free. The picture seems to have some protection on it.
Here you go:

268R-big.jpg

botty

Familiar Face
Just started the breaking in process. 6 mile walk home tonight went well but it feels like you are walking with 2 house bricks strapped to your feet!

budrichard

Familiar Face
"To summarize the above thread, I found two practical options, Mendl from Germany and Limmer in the U.S. Limmer is a custom boot maker in New Hampshire that also sells a line of ready made boots manufa ctured for them by Mendl in Germany."

My wife and I have custom Limmer's made for us about 20 years ago. While waiting for the custom Limmer's I purchased a pair of their ready made which I think were a first or so offering and I don't know who manufactured them.
There is no comparison between a custom Limmer and ready made Limmer or any other hiking boot. Custom Limmer's have a wide toe box such that it almost looks like your are club footed but the protection, comfort and fit are great. The ready made is good quality and heavy duty ( they have since come out with a lighter model) but just don't have the fit of custom. If purchasing Limmer, go custom but I don't know the delivery time these days?
I noticed from the website that Limmer requires a final fit in Intervale at the shop. That is how it should be. My first pair had to be remade because of my high arch and I would not order another pair without going to the shop. In Wisconsin my hunting boots are made by Russell and I have them fitted at the shop also.
It's a bit of trouble but well worth it as the difference can be like night and day!-Dick

Last edited:

andy richards

Practically Family
A few weeks ago I found this new pair of Dutch army boots dated 1/1967 which cost me only $ 15,-. Right now I walk every day on them as I intend to use them for my hiking trips. They fit perfect and look like the old US Army style boot I was told on the FL.
Cheers,
Andy

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family
I have an old pair of Vasque mid weight boots that I purchased back in 1972 when stationed in Turkey, to wear boar hunting back in the mountains. The waffle stomper soles were much better than our issue combat boots for hiking those mountain trails.

After a lot of use there for two years they have only seen occasional casual use since and are still in excellent shape.

I purchased them mail order from Eddie Bauer, when they were still a real outfitter.

Renault

One Too Many
Month ago did a hike thru the Guadalupe mountains national park in my new redwing iron rangers. These are some of the best boots I have ever owned! They did very well.

Renault

Wolfgang

New in Town
I am just ordering new reproduced gebirgsjäger mountain boots for my WW2 reenactment, so I am selling this Swiss mountain boots from '50/'60-ies

gj1110.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto