Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Indeed I am serious. I never cease to be amazed by the publics ignorance of common things. I don't expect everyone to know everything, heaven knows I sure don't, but how does one reach middle age without having picked up some general framework of how things in our lives work? It isn't just hot water. There seems to be a feeling that if it doesn't affect me, I don't need to know about it and don't need to pay attention. Curiosity and common sense are most definitely on the decline. I don't mean to offend anyone here, because it is in no way universal, but being a university town does not help. A fair number of relatively intelligent people in their field could not change a tire or unclog the kitchen sink drain if their life depended on it. These are the same people who wrinkle their noses in distaste at those who can and do keep their civilized lives in operation.

It would be nice if common sense was more common! :)

seres

A-List Customer
… I never cease to be amazed by the publics ignorance of common things. I don't expect everyone to know everything, heaven knows I sure don't, but how does one reach middle age without having picked up some general framework of how things in our lives work? It isn't just hot water. There seems to be a feeling that if it doesn't affect me, I don't need to know about it and don't need to pay attention. Curiosity and common sense are most definitely on the decline…..

Yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I’m a naturally curious person, and like to know how things work. A complex mechanical machine always gets my attention, and I mentally try to understand how it works.

I’ve lived in two houses in my lifetime, not counting my childhood years in my parents’ house. I built both from the ground up… plumbing, electric, drywall, etc (we’ve always lived in rural areas unencumbered by codes). And when the subject occasionally comes up, most people look at me with disbelief, almost as if I was crazy. But residential construction is not rocket science. A century ago most people in rural areas built their own homes, or contributed greatly to the process.

… A fair number of relatively intelligent people in their field could not change a tire or unclog the kitchen sink drain if their life depended on it. These are the same people who wrinkle their noses in distaste at those who can and do keep their civilized lives in operation.

A good example is my sister… She is a very educated woman, holding a Doctorate in Chemistry and a law degree. But she has absolutely no common sense. Several years ago she bought a new car, one of the nicer Toyotas, and her “colleagues” advised her to only have a Toyota dealer perform the service. One day she stopped for gas (self serve) and one of the other customers mentioned one of her tires was almost flat, and that she needed to add air. So she drove across town to the Toyota dealer, with that almost-flat tire, for some Toyota air. They sold her a new tire, because the heat generated from running that almost-flat tire across town had destroyed it. I’m not making this up.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
On the other hand, finding a place with a public air pump -- even a coin-op one -- is surprisingly difficult these days. The only one in my town was hanging on the outside wall of a convenience store, but vandals crowbarred the coin box for drug money and it was never repaired. You either have to go to a tire dealer/garage or buy your own compressor.

My mom was a successful and respected bookkeeper for a small commercial real estate firm for decades. She was also a very common sense person - she could quickly "read" a situation and know how to respond. Her people skills were high and she was reasonably well read. And day to day, she managed her time well and dealt with basic household issues with a smart pragmatic approach. That said, all technology / all science was magic to her.

She had no idea how anything worked and had no interest in learning. If the car didn't start, my dad or I got involved as other than turning the key in the ignition she had no automotive skills. Water, electricity, the TV (which she still thinks is the most amazing thing in the world) are all great mysteries to her. You got heat by turning up the thermostat - what happened "behind the scenes" was all a mystery to her.

I've had all but wanted to kill myself helping her with all this for the past 25+ year since my dad died. I now take a Zen approach and just accept that it's my job and I do it. Her being in AZ, though, makes the logistics hard and the expense (hiring people) not fun - but it is what it is. And modern digital technology was invented, IMHO, just so that my mother could torture me with the most excruciatingly basic questions that I still struggle to get her to understand the answers to. (And in an act of self torture, because I want her "up to date," I get her all the new stuff - Wi-Fi, iPhone, smart TV, etc. - which only makes my life worse.)

That's it - just another example of a smart, regular and, overall, common-sense-oriented person who is completely out of touch with all technology.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
On the other hand, finding a place with a public air pump -- even a coin-op one -- is surprisingly difficult these days. The only one in my town was hanging on the outside wall of a convenience store, but vandals crowbarred the coin box for drug money and it was never repaired. You either have to go to a tire dealer/garage or buy your own compressor.

Driving through Joplin, I noticed that not only public air pumps, but gas pumps are
not available everywhere like in Texas or California where there are gas stations and convenience stores practically every five blocks in any direction.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My mom was a successful and respected bookkeeper for a small commercial real estate firm for decades. She was also a very common sense person - she could quickly "read" a situation and know how to respond. Her people skills were high and she was reasonably well read. And day to day, she managed her time well and dealt with basic household issues with a smart pragmatic approach. That said, all technology / all science was magic to her.

She had no idea how anything worked and had no interest in learning. If the car didn't start, my dad or I got involved as other than turning the key in the ignition she had no automotive skills. Water, electricity, the TV (which she still thinks is the most amazing thing in the world) are all great mysteries to her. You got heat by turning up the thermostat - what happened "behind the scenes" was all a mystery to her.

I've had all but wanted to kill myself helping her with all this for the past 25+ year since my dad died. I now take a Zen approach and just accept that it's my job and I do it. Her being in AZ, though, makes the logistics hard and the expense (hiring people) not fun - but it is what it is. And modern digital technology was invented, IMHO, just so that my mother could torture me with the most excruciatingly basic questions that I still struggle to get her to understand the answers to. (And in an act of self torture, because I want her "up to date," I get her all the new stuff - Wi-Fi, iPhone, smart TV, etc. - which only makes my life worse.)

That's it - just another example of a smart, regular and, overall, common-sense-oriented person who is completely out of touch with all technology.

My mom passed away last year. She was 92.
But actually, I lost her years before in the
sense that over the years she gradually
lost her memory or the ability to carry a
conversation. She would repeat things.
She once told me that she loved that I
never got upset over little things or used cuss words towards her like my sisters.

Because I was the oldest or her first born
she still had the ability to recognize me
up until she died. She was very strict with my sisters. Not with me. They have
much resentment and we do not speak
with each other since.
I can understand and hopefully someday
we can all get together.

My mom passed away last year. She was 92.
But actually, I lost her years before in the
sense that over the years she gradually
lost her memory or the ability to carry a
conversation.
Because I was the oldest or her first born
she still had the ability to recognize me
up until she died. She was very strict with my sisters. Not with me. They have
much resentment and we do not speak
with each other since.
I can understand and hopefully someday
we can all get together.

I am sorry. My mom has mild dementia and it's crushing as it's her but not her. Every call makes me sad and I worry - a lot - about what is to come. But we all know life is hard, so all I can do is keep peddling through each day and hope I can manage to keep her okay.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sending good vibes your way Fading Fast!
B5D3E3B9-423F-46B4-86F7-814712785C97.jpeg

23B6BD0A-82DD-4795-8A8F-24DE607A07B3.jpeg

1EFDC9C8-37E7-460F-9C38-6255C91BD0C1.jpeg

7FD7A1EF-4F27-4EB0-99EE-7326EFA9EF8C.jpeg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
1940 co-op station.
de2170ed6d65218ba6ea6134e67ea20b.jpg

Rob
City lights.png

Rob....

City street light.
Clear glass bulb atop an old telephone pole with spiked
holes from the boots that the telephone linesman used
to climb the pole.
A leather strap belt around the pole and his waist to
support himself atop the pole.
The light put out a yellow orange glow.

My grandmother’s house only had one city light at the corner of the street.
We sat outside the porch in the evenings, folks had conversations
or listened to the radio.

I sat on the steps listening to the distant sound of the
train whistle.

Gone but not forgotten! :)

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many
In our part of the world, we are overrun with Casey's General Stores. It is a convenience store that has morphed into a small grocery store and ready to eat food seller. We are now on the second and third generation of these establishments and the old buildings are becoming problematic to deal with. Some become other small businesses, but others are simply sitting empty and are on their way to becoming eyesores.

3fingers

One Too Many
2jakes I am glad to see the old buildings in use, but it breaks my heart just the same. There was a larger version of the brick structure in your last photo about 20 miles from here, built in 1933 by Mr. Roy Perry. I know who built it because the engraved stone over the door said so. It was along what was a major highway at the time and had two large service bays and a second floor above for a home. It sat empty for many years and finally met its demise a year or so ago. I had hoped someone would preserve it as a home, but it was not to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points