Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

3fingers

One Too Many
Kinda reminds me of the thread,
"This or that?" :D

MOBIL with an "E" at the end?
View attachment 103291

or

Sinclair?
View attachment 103292
The original Little America was on the Lincoln Highway out in the middle of nowhere. It started small and grew like crazy.
The old fellow who owned it got caught out in a blizzard there and promised to build a travelers haven to keep others from meeting the same fate. It was quite a place.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
This was the inspiration that led to the building of "Little America" in Wyoming:

51ZeMqbN6vL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

4B3B133A-D57A-4E4E-A235-E6F49B5E2AF8.jpeg

And this is what he created:
7347706F-F6EB-4943-BC58-7DFAA3BA7233.jpeg

Post script:
Lindbergh to Byrd, 1929,
Although Lindbergh and Byrd were considered competitors, their relationship
was also one of mutual respect, as shown by this radiogram from Lindbergh thanking
Byrd for naming an inlet in the Bay of Whales for him.

RADIOGRAM_5041.jpg

Last edited:
The original Little America was on the Lincoln Highway out in the middle of nowhere. It started small and grew like crazy.
The old fellow who owned it got caught out in a blizzard there and promised to build a travelers haven to keep others from meeting the same fate. It was quite a place.
This was the inspiration that led to the building of "Little America" in Wyoming:

View attachment 103334
View attachment 103323

And this is what he created:
View attachment 103324

Post script:
Lindbergh to Byrd, 1929,
Although Lindbergh and Byrd were considered competitors, their relationship
was also one of mutual respect, as shown by this radiogram from Lindbergh thanking
Byrd for naming an inlet in the Bay of Whales for him.

View attachment 103332

Guys, thank you for all the great info. A travel agent seems like a good career path for a penguin; unfortunately, today, like every other job, "disruption" has made it much harder.

seres

A-List Customer
When I was a young teen, our next door neighbor built a grease pit in his home garage. He sawed the concrete floor nice and straight, hand dug the pit, placed concrete blocks for the walls and poured a concrete floor. All first rate. Every time I would visit I worked my way over to his garage to stare with envy.

Then one day his wife put her car in the garage, and somehow drove one wheel into the pit. After that fiasco, he filled-in the pit. But I still wish I had a grease pit in my home garage!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The free-standing garage in my first house was built sometime before 1914 (I know this because an early owner had calculated his fuel economy on the wall in pencil and left behind the date July 2, 1914). It had a pit in the bay nearer the house, all brick lined. Someone in the past had fabricated a covering of heavy boards for it and I never worried about anyone driving into it. The biggest danger of pits, as I understand it, is accumulation of carbon monoxide, which is heavier than air. Thankfully, when I stood in the pit my head was above ground, so it wasn’t a huge risk for me. Nowadays I don’t even have a garage and it’s KILLING me.

34484_1572926568196_1348902_n.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
When I was a young teen, our next door neighbor built a grease pit in his home garage. He sawed the concrete floor nice and straight, hand dug the pit, placed concrete blocks for the walls and poured a concrete floor. All first rate. Every time I would visit I worked my way over to his garage to stare with envy.

Then one day his wife put her car in the garage, and somehow drove one wheel into the pit. After that fiasco, he filled-in the pit. But I still wish I had a grease pit in my home garage!

A Short Garage Story

F048A10B-7984-4CDE-96D8-D0A9837A759A.jpeg

I was nine.
Fell asleep on top of the car inside the garage.
Woke up as the car drove out.
There was a nail sticking out on top frame of the garage entrance.
I still have the scar on my back!

If you plan on sleeping on top of a car
inside a garage...make sure to remove the nail first.

The End.

PS:
For those of you healots who might be
thinking it...
Yes I was lucky it was on my back and not somewhere else and there was no infection! :cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana