Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
40822ff2ca4a83d185d800fd6e992704.jpg

79be8008a35bca662b08fa090094ad2a.jpg

b9a73326d136f9263a21de13a0159c5e.jpg

64751893129e61c3fafcd2de09c29e3a.jpg

d941a2c5ef393bdc960de10e91e8221d.jpg

Rob

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 110909
Question for the Chevy experts. Did the '58 Chevy not sell well? There were and still are quite a few '59 models around here, but I can't think of a single '58 left.
The '58 was, I think, considered a "softer" car, softer-riding perhaps, than the '57. Though that could have been well after the fact, as car fans got all excited about the mechanical fuel injection available on the '57. My father had one of the Impalas that year: red below, white top, and lots of chrome. He had to have an air conditioner added to it. I never got to drive it, so I have no idea how soft or high-powered it was.

I'd think a pristine '58 Impala would be worth something, as it was the first year for that model.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

The top pic with the snow: Love the Stratoliner Dad appears to be wearing.

The second pic has a very "New Orleans in the 1950s" vibe to it -- a French Quarter or Treme street, weathered houses with shutters, etc. Might also be a Caribbean island with a significant French-speaking population; cf. "Jean Luciani."

EngProf

Practically Family
The '58 was, I think, considered a "softer" car, softer-riding perhaps, than the '57. Though that could have been well after the fact, as car fans got all excited about the mechanical fuel injection available on the '57. My father had one of the Impalas that year: red below, white top, and lots of chrome. He had to have an air conditioner added to it. I never got to drive it, so I have no idea how soft or high-powered it was.

I'd think a pristine '58 Impala would be worth something, as it was the first year for that model.

There were several strikes against the Chevy 1958's from the word "go". It was the first year of having what Chevy historians call the "X" frame, instead of a conventional ladder frame. Among other things this required the use of a two-piece driveshaft - not something people (especially people who wanted to modify it or race it) were used to. Also, getting the exhaust pipes where they needed to go was awkward. They were less stiff in the roll axis so they rode differently. (It took ~6 years for GM to recover the cost of the tooling for those, but they finally went back to the "normal" ladder frames in 1965.)

It was also the first year for the 348 engine - effectively a big and heavy truck engine - which didn't respond like the smaller 1957 283 and was never popular.

Appearance-wise, the rounded fenders (front and rear) made this year less attractive to a lot of people compared to the 1957's. I think the designers realized that and went on to the *spectacular* 1959 rear fenders to make up for it. Around our neighborhood the only 1958 Chevy I can remember was owned by our preacher, which says something about the customer base for '58's.

There were several strikes against the Chevy 1958's from the word "go". It was the first year of having what Chevy historians call the "X" frame, instead of a conventional ladder frame. Among other things this required the use of a two-piece driveshaft - not something people (especially people who wanted to modify it or race it) were used to. Also, getting the exhaust pipes where they needed to go was awkward. They were less stiff in the roll axis so they rode differently. (It took ~6 years for GM to recover the cost of the tooling for those, but they finally went back to the "normal" ladder frames in 1965.)

It was also the first year for the 348 engine - effectively a big and heavy truck engine - which didn't respond like the smaller 1957 283 and was never popular.

Appearance-wise, the rounded fenders (front and rear) made this year less attractive to a lot of people compared to the 1957's. I think the designers realized that and went on to the *spectacular* 1959 rear fenders to make up for it. Around our neighborhood the only 1958 Chevy I can remember was owned by our preacher, which says something about the customer base for '58's.
Said 58 Chevy at gas station
641b83a0565b4c0adfe731c7730f10af.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab

There was speculation (albeit pretty well reasoned) years ago in The Rodder's Journal that the 1959 redesign was the result of something like an internal coup at GM design. The thinking is that sometime in the summer of 1956, after the 1958 models had been finalized, some younger designers saw the "Suddenly it's 1960" Forward Look Mopars and realized that Harley Earl's longer/lower/wider paradigm no longer was going to rule. They and Bill Mitchell then managed to take the 1959's in a completely different design direction.

Like I said, just speculation, but convincing speculation.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Warehouse find:
23wmfm8.jpg

Found a box of empty oil cans in small town old building.
2mo5bhd.jpg

Upon close inspection, I noticed the location.
On the
search engine I found this:
slimp-oilb.jpg

Chester Slimp was the owner/operator of Slimp Oil Co.
It was a local small scale oil refining operation. It has been inoperative since 1948."
Building still exists in San Antonio.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
This 1958 Impala sold at auction in Georgia yesterday for $34k.

View attachment 111681
That's the model my father had, except his had no fender skirts, and was red with a white top. Though I don't recall the wheels being wire-style, or chromed.

Ron Howard's character drives a white or baby-blue Impala, I think, in American Graffiti. The film is set in '62, so a '58 would have been only 4-5 years old at that point.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Now those are windows.
There’s something about the brick wall building.
Looks like there were windows at one time but were covered.
Also, the small building to the right looks odd somehow.
I can see a car coming in from the left side towards the gas pumps.
But from the right side that small building is at an angle which is
hard to maneuver.
Also note the lack of signs which is rare for the times.

Unless that’s Zazu Pitts driving the car...
"Oh dear...oh my!" :(

Fading Fast...shall I fire up the Lizzie-Signal ?

a05e5ea9a7a3716708060f1caed666a1.jpg

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
EC5D8C3D-56DC-4CDC-907A-12A4432CCB9E.jpeg

William Russell putting the four gallon monthly ration of petrol into a customer's car, Drouin, Victoria. Label: "Home town Australia. Drouin's biggest service station (there are two) is owned by a company consisting of 80 year old William D. Russell and his family. Mr Russell is putting the four gallon monthly ration of gas onto a customers car. Normally he employs 16 ... Sign is for the benefit of United States servicemen using the Princes Highway ...": photo by Jim Fitzpatrick.

260606B1-4BA7-416B-82C4-26772CB23273.jpeg

11BDB6C0-EF4B-4028-A4FC-F876FAA5DB1B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21