Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

bfgvti.jpg

Incredibly, it’s a promo shot for Esso.

You can buy your gal that dress at the 5 & 10,
devoid of any gratuitous prurience. :D

I was surprised it was so aggressive. I always think there was less of that back then, and then an ad like this pops up and I think - yea, nothing really changes.

As to the dress, hard to tell from the B&W, but that material looks very 40s, not easy to find today and the cut and fit are also not easy to find. My girlfriend does have some like that - both new vintage-inspired ones she's found over time and a few vintage dresses that she's also found. Also, she used to know a woman who made dresses like that from NOS material (for very, very reasonable prices). She doesn't want to look like something from the '40s, but believes that a simple well-cut dress is timeless and wishes they did more of that today.

It's funny, the "fashion" gowns of the era - the more expensive clothes that you see the "Park Avenue" women wear in the movie of the era - mainly look dated and (sometimes) silly today, but the day-to-day dresses that the "average" woman wore (look at the dresses in "Manhattan" the TV series about the Manhattan Project) have a much more timeless, classic feel that - with some exceptions - don't look out of place today. Those are the ones she loves.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Definitely...not the '40s. :eek:

29c5103.jpg

And so by the powers vested in me by the Standard Oil Company of California, I now pronounce you man and wife, except in states outside the marketing territory granted to the Standard Oil Company of California by the Standard Oil Consent Decree of 1911. Please note that in selected states outside this territory, your marriage license will be recognized at any Calso dealer.

And so by the powers vested in me by the Standard Oil Company of California, I now pronounce you man and wife, except in states outside the marketing territory granted to the Standard Oil Company of California by the Standard Oil Consent Decree of 1911. Please note that in selected states outside this territory, your marriage license will be recognized at any Calso dealer.
:rofl:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
mbrown.jpg

This dignified-looking Texaco station stood in Terre Haute, Indiana -- and from 1935 to 1948, the gentleman out front would see to your automotive needs. And if you were lucky he might talk a little baseball with you, because this fellow, one Mordecai Brown, had been one of the greatest pitchers in the National League during the first decade of the twentieth century. Here's old "Three Finger" gettng ready to oil one up.

mbrown2.jpg

And if you had any doubt who you were dealing with, Mr. Brown's business cards made it very clear.

mordecai-brown-signature-3.jpg

(This post intended as a special salute to the Cubs fans of the Lounge who have waited so long for so much.)

⬆️ I love everything about the post. That awesome stations, Mordecai Brown in his tie ready to serve and his business card. All wonderful.

I am very happy that players today are no longer de facto indentured servants to the owners and that they now capture a respectable amount of the revenue they generate, but at a cultural or, maybe, human level, we lost something when sports became so big and everyone in it so rich that they no longer participate in the world at a regular person level, like Three-Finger Brown did after his playing days.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
shell.jpg

Webber's Shell, High and Spring Streets, Belfast, Maine. Built in 1930, photographed in 1949. Demolished in the mid-1950s in favor of a larger Shell station in the "box with chimney" design. At this time Belfast -- a town of about 5000 people -- had twenty-eight gas stations in operation. Click to enlarge image.

Last edited:
On the way to the back yard of an estate sale, I walked over a piece of plywood that appeared to be 1/4 of a billboard. 5 bucks later it was in the back of my truck. All rotted around the edges and falling apart, these tow parts were carefully jigsawed out and here you are.....guessing 1950's hand painted.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Just had a terrible realization today! The little gas pump symbol came on the gauge on my Triumph Thruxton, that's when it hit me, there are absolutely no service stations down town any more! Just two 7/11s at opposite ends. Man I'm depressed!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just had a terrible realization today! The little gas pump symbol came on the gauge on my Triumph Thruxton, that's when it hit me, there are absolutely no service stations down town any more! Just two 7/11s at opposite ends. Man I'm depressed!

Even more disturbing is the realization that the standard gas pump icon no longer bears any particular resemblance to any actual gas pump you're likely to encounter in the ordinary world.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^ Great looking little fella, so is it just maintained by someone as a hobby or something?

It looks like a “labor of love”.
There was no one around to provide information.
I’m about 75 miles from this location.
I have some time-off from work this month.

2j5eu5x.png

(MapQuest photo)
Guess where I’ll be headin’ with my ’46 pick-up ? :rolleyes:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A well-maintained old service station.
akit8k.png

Corner St. Lawrence & Hamilton ~ Texas.

The Mobil at the end of my street when I was a kid had those "script top" pumps -- the lettering lights up at night and is very impressive.

There's three generations of Mobil signage there -- the Mobiloil sign is twenties vintage, the shield on the pump is 30s-50s, and the Mobil logo on the canopy is late-fifties/early sixties.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^

w1skle.jpg

This is several blocks away from me.
According to info. I found, the service station was constructed for
the Magnolia Petroleum Company in 1929, and was later acquired
by the Mobil division of Socony. It ceased as a gas station in 1985.
It has been adaptively reused into office/retail and the sign has a
preservation covenant by the San Antonio Conservation Society.

1zf5yl3.png

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Even more disturbing is the realization that the standard gas pump icon no longer bears any particular resemblance to any actual gas pump you're likely to encounter in the ordinary world.
I suppose it could be worse, they could use a visible gas pump!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points