Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Another period one...
hq IMG_0035.jpg

Rob

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Although Pure started that "quaint little cottage" trend in the '20s, other companies also used it. Cities Service built a lot of them as well, usually in stucco or brick. The definitive characteristic was the gable front with a glass inset of the company's delta-in-a-trefoil logo.

6755167179_a9382c5718_b.jpg

4461634145_a83e3c9a86_b.jpg

Often the logo glass will have been long since broken or replaced with something else, but you can usually tell where it was.

arcities3.jpg

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Although Pure started that "quaint little cottage" trend in the '20s, other companies also used it. Cities Service built a lot of them as well, usually in stucco or brick. The definitive characteristic was the gable front with a glass inset of the company's delta-in-a-trefoil logo.

6755167179_a9382c5718_b.jpg

4461634145_a83e3c9a86_b.jpg

Often the logo glass will have been long since broken or replaced with something else, but you can usually tell where it was.

arcities3.jpg

Thanks for this info, Lizzie...now I'll know this brand, when I see one in the flesh. ;)

Rob

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Hottest Brand Going", used by Conoco in the 1950s, has got to be the dopiest slogan any company ever used. It's the sort of thing a bunch of brand consultants who never talked to anyone else but other brand consultants would come up with. It tells the consumer nothing, it raises no expectation of quality products or service, and offers nothing but a limp attempt at bandwagoning.

The advertising campaigns were pretty lame too - the iconic image used in the ads was of a cowboy thrusting a red-hot branding iron with the Conoco logo directly into the face of the reader. Yeah, that'll get me buying.

"Hottest Brand Going", used by Conoco in the 1950s, has got to be the dopiest slogan any company ever used. It's the sort of thing a bunch of brand consultants who never talked to anyone else but other brand consultants would come up with. It tells the consumer nothing, it raises no expectation of quality products or service, and offers nothing but a limp attempt at bandwagoning.

The advertising campaigns were pretty lame too - the iconic image used in the ads was of a cowboy thrusting a red-hot branding iron with the Conoco logo directly into the face of the reader. Yeah, that'll get me buying.

It's certainly no "Put a Tiger in the Tank." Now that was a Boys From Marketing classic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points