Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Blue Chip was S&H's top competitor during the trading stamp craze of the 1960s. Others were Gold Bond, Top Value, and Plaid Stamps. We gave out Top Value -- with redemption books featuring their cartoon mascot Toppie The Elephant -- and I've still got a few loose stamps in my desk drawer at home.

Toppie was a *plaid* elephant wearing a tam-o-shanter, which, along with rival "Plaid Stamps," played on the "thrifty Scotchman" stereotype to suggest the value of the stamps. At least they didn't draw him wearing a kilt.
I can see that point...but, he wasn't the only one suffering during the depression, and many a young boy was in a similar predicament but never turned to crime.

Extenuating factors aside, that's why I find it harder to sympathize with Clyde, and how he pursued his criminal career...he never was as 'classy' (or smart) as Dillinger, even though they both came from poverty and a hard life, and he would kill you as soon as look at you...something JD would try to avoid, if possible.

Of course, Baby Face Nelson was another nut job, entirely. :)

Rob

Agreed. At some age of adulthood - you own your life and your actions. Everyone's upbringing has stuff - someone else's is always worse and someone else's is always much better - but as an adult you are responsible for your own actions. And we're not talking about Jean Valjean here; we're talking about cold blood murder to get a bunch of things (not just a loaf of bread).

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
IMG_9405.JPG

"The property 1 1/4 miles north of Caledonia where the BARROW gang stopped belonged to Frank MARSH. He was the one who called the sheriff. Frank's grandson John MAY recalled that when the campers were later identified, there was quite a scare in the family when a stranger came to the house asking for Frank. It wasn't known if the man was a member of the BARROW gang or not.

Walter PUTNEY said that Bonnie and Clyde had "borrowed" a can of gasoline from their farm, leaving a $10 bill behind, which was a lot of money back then."
Ringgold County.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Lol....I can see it.

I also see her coin change maker on her belt...haven't seen one of those in years.

Rob

Last time I saw a coin changer was when I would take the city bus on Saturdays
to go downtown.
First stop was the library building that was similar to the ones that Fading Fast has
described including the wood interiors with those lovely desks and shelves.

Next was the afternoon matinee.
We had our own *LizzieMaine* running the projection. Only difference was he was
an old man who always carried a copper Rayovac. He would zap you with it
if he thought you were putting your chewing gum under the seats. :(

Last stop was the Coney Island diner and hotdogs with a cold bottle of Dr. Pepper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana