Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

I very rarely saw him wear anything that wasn't "forestry green", and he never, ever wore any kind of a tie with his uniforms. When they buried him in a conventional suit and tie it looked like he had on somebody else's clothes.

A man in his line of work may have found himself in that coffin a good deal sooner had he worn a necktie on the job.

Some police departments call for neckties on their uniformed officers. But those ties are clip-ons, for reasons apparent to anyone who gives the matter any thought whatsoever.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Any filling station attendant in the Era who wore a long tie either tucked it between the buttons of his shirt, Army style, or wore it under a tightly-buttoned jacket, for obvious reasons. Any attendant shown in a film or an ad doing otherwise is a fake.

The Texaco uniform guide specified that if ties were worn, they had to be clip-on bow ties made of black leather -- there was no place for delicate fabrics in a grease room. That said, I never saw anyone who worked for us wear any tie of any kind. Collars were always worn open.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Any filling station attendant in the Era who wore a long tie either tucked it between the buttons of his shirt, Army style, or wore it under a tightly-buttoned jacket, for obvious reasons. Any attendant shown in a film or an ad doing otherwise is a fake.

The Texaco uniform guide specified that if ties were worn, they had to be clip-on bow ties made of black leather -- there was no place for delicate fabrics in a grease room. That said, I never saw anyone who worked for us wear any tie of any kind. Collars were always worn open.

Unfortunately, another one of our Texaco stations, along with the Shell station across the street were torn down to make way for a new on off ramp, they were replaced by a Kum & Go! I never even heard of this company until a year ago, now they are every where.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I found this add by accident, but I like it. If you are of a certain age, you will understand it, and it will bring a smile to your face!
48d538beb72153486dfd2e84c5050151_zps324a1ade.jpg

Unfortunately, another one of our Texaco stations, along with the Shell station across the street were torn down to make way for a new on off ramp, they were replaced by a Kum & Go! I never even heard of this company until a year ago, now they are every where.

Kum & Go have been around since the 70s, primarily in the Midwest. They've been expanding for a while, so who know where they're at now. But this brings up an interesting point...about 80% of gas is now bought at convenience stores, rather than stand alone fuel stations. And none of the major oil companies (at least not the "Big Six"...ExxonMobil, Shell, Total, Chevron, BP and ConocoPhilips) own gas stations in the US anymore.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I wonder what brand of kerosene was used to fuel the Saturn V? Did Neil, Buzz, and Mike have a "tiger in their tank?"

All I know is, the tiger would have been at the pump for a very long, long time! The first stage alone had 203,400 gallons of kerosene.

in/y

One of the Regulars
Here's another survivor that's about 3/4 of a mile from where I grew up in Pennsylvania. It was a Texaco station in the 60' & 70's (and probably a little into the 80's). The owner had set aside part of the office as a candy store (old school with penny candy with a class display case) which I discovered when I was 10 or 11.
glenside1.jpg
It's interesting that the older style was married to the newer architecture.

Upon closer inspection under the current sign, the porcelain sign has been replaced by wood underneath.
glenside2.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I think this is what remains of the oldest gas station in New Bern. I imagine it once was a throbbing hubbub of engine-roaring, tire-rotating, gasoline-pumping activity. Now its lavender and blue and sells wedding bouquets.

IMG_74846496893666_zps132254f2.jpg

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk