Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Radio Recommendation.

K

kpreed

Hello all ! :)
After many years, my only radio (rare for me anyway) with phono jacks on the back and a auxiliary switch, like I need, has just died, as I can not work on any of my radio's right now ( wheelchair bound with very shaky hands right now) I need something to replace it as I use it everyday for my old radio shows. It should look older so it fits in with my other sets, but other then that, I am pretty open. Cost? I am on S.S.I. so that will be my limiting factor, but I can save-up.
Any Ideas?
Thank You.
Ken Reed

K

kpreed

LocktownDog said:
C'mon now. Don't just leave it at that. What did you end up with?

Richard
I got a nice G.E. Model.L-740 from the early 1940's. Should do the trick and match my other radio's too.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
kpreed said:
I got a nice G.E. Model.L-740 from the early 1940's. Should do the trick and match my other radio's too.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, it seems like you were waiting quite a while for a response.

I would have gladly helped you pick one to go with. Although, that being said, I would have most likely recommended something much like what you have already found. You did a good job on finding one that matched what you needed so quickly.

Many 1940s radios had phono jacks that you can plug a record player into and use the radio just for its amplifier and speaker.

K

kpreed

Thank You

RetroToday said:
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, it seems like you were waiting quite a while for a response.

I would have gladly helped you pick one to go with. Although, that being said, I would have most likely recommended something much like what you have already found. You did a good job on finding one that matched what you needed so quickly.

Many 1940s radios had phono jacks that you can plug a record player into and use the radio just for its amplifier and speaker.
Thanks. Yes,I did want some input on this, but as no ideas where coming in and I use it all day, every day. I got one on my own, now I hope it works out.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
kpreed said:
I got one on my own, now I hope it works out.

Good luck with that one, I hope it works out for you as well.

Was it serviced before you purchased it?
Tubes usually aren't the problem with a non-functioning radio (as you probably know already) but the old Paper Capacitors tend to dry up over time and cause problems. If it has been properly re-capped, etc. you can get a long amount of use out of them before they need attention again.

I they aren't re-capped, direct power can flow through a dried out cap and burn out more expensive components.

K

kpreed

Radio

I get my "new" old radio tomorrow and can not wait. Yes, it is from a radio guy and was totally checked and all new capacitors put in it. I will make a report on how it does, when I get it.
For anyone who did not know the model, this is a G.E. L-740, 1941, from the web.
GE_L-740_1941_LeFevre.jpg

RetroToday

A-List Customer
kpreed said:
I get my "new" old radio tomorrow and can not wait.
For anyone who did not know the model, this is a G.E. L-740, 1941

Great radio kpreed!

If it's been serviced by a radio guy, then it should arrive and perform A-OK.
Well, that is unless you're having it shipped by UPS. :eek: Those guys.....

I have a 1941 General Electric (Canadian) KL-70 - a nice performing radio with phono attachment. As far as I can recall, in Canadian GE radios in 1941 had the KL model number prefix. Maybe the K stood for Kanadian? :p

935705074_570f758f58.jpg

A view of my 1941 Canadian General Electric KL-70

K

kpreed

RetroToday said:

I have a 1941 General Electric (Canadian) KL-70 - a nice performing radio with phono attachment. As far as I can recall, in Canadian GE radios in 1941 had the KL model number prefix. Maybe the K stood for Kanadian? :p

935705074_570f758f58.jpg

A view of my 1941 Canadian General Electric KL-70
Very nice radio!!! I got my L-740 on Saturday and it is great, I do not think I was home but a few minutes, before I had Glenn Miller ( I have lots of big band music ) coming from the radio's speaker. The radio works great! . The radio guy lives under an hour from me, so we met-up, no mail stuff to deal with and that is always good

RetroToday

A-List Customer
kpreed said:
Very nice radio!!! I got my L-740 on Saturday and it is great, I do not think I was home but a few minutes, before I had Glenn Miller ( I have lots of big band music ) coming from the radio's speaker. The radio works great! . The radio guy lives under an hour from me, so we met-up, no mail stuff to deal with and that is always good

I'm very glad to hear it all worked out for you, hope you enjoy a lot of trouble-free listening on that old radio.

As you do, I also have a ton of big band music ready to go - I listen by CD, MP3 and I even play big band (and a couple other genres) 78s on my old gramophones and radio-phono combinations.

I realized lately I don't really listen to very much "modern" music, the older stuff just strikes a happy chord with me.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
I like your L-740...very nice radio! I'm a fan of the 1940s GE radios and like my L-633 although it doesn't have the audio jack like yours does. Enjoy!

kpreed

One of the Regulars
Thanks All! I am not really surprised it works so well, (the other radio on my desk is a 1936 Crosley 715) what gets me is the Crosley Reproduction radio I gave as a gift. It really looked cool, but made it only 18 months then died. My bad. Only vintage radios for me, from then on. They cost less (well most do) and work better I think,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112