Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old smells, that immeditately transport you back in time?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Bay Rum cologne!
I don't know why, but every time I put some on I picture myself in a sharp suit walking down a busy city street in the 60s...

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The smell of isopropyl alcohol =
nycin6.png

Oh ....! Today, I investigated again and a little more about the german classic "Marbert Man" Cologne (Eau de Toilette), which seems comparable to the sweet old classic "Aramis", which I have got here at home. I love "Aramis", so now, I'm nervous, to get "Marbert Man" or not. And it's cheaper, than more famous brands around Germany, too!
"Marbert Man" is mainly a spicy cinnamon/honey-fragrance (heartnote). It seems, that it's not really known, out of Germany.

Bixie Bliss

New in Town
Blue grass perfume - my mum still wears it now!
Pond's cold cream - my nana.

Every so often I'll smell something that makes me feel nostalgic but not sure what it is the smell is reminding me of. Smell is definitely the strongest link to memory.

That smell that large piles of dead leaves gives off will always take me back to college in the fall. I went to Rutgers at its old New Brunswick campus (looks like every classic architecture, old brick buildings, leafy campus of the 1920s) and the smell of dead leaves (and the rustling sound walking through them makes) brings me right back to college, right back to being in my late teens, backpack full of books, Levi's, wool sweater (as it's starting to get cold), days getting shorter and being young and thinking about the future as scary but wide opened. My girlfriend and I took a walk through Central Park the other day and we hit a patch that smelled of dead leaves and, for a moment I wasn't 51, I was 18, at college, a kid again.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The combined smell of oil and steam, best accompanied with the clanking sound of the steam train as it pulls into the station.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
"The smell of "Sea & Ski"suntan lotion (do they even make it anymore?) will always be summers in Santa Barbara in the early '60s. "English Leather"cologne takes me back to high school when you were first starting to do guy stuff like shave and wear after-shave lotion.The whiff of coal smoke puts me back in army barracks and field tents, where the smell was pervasive. I haven't smelled it in many decades, but there was a smell inside the bellows-style passageways that connected passenger cars on the old railroads that was totally distinctive. I've long wondered what it was.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"The smell of "Sea & Ski"suntan lotion (do they even make it anymore?) will always be summers in Santa Barbara in the early '60s. "English Leather"cologne takes me back to high school when you were first starting to do guy stuff like shave and wear after-shave lotion.The whiff of coal smoke puts me back in army barracks and field tents, where the smell was pervasive. I haven't smelled it in many decades, but there was a smell inside the bellows-style passageways that connected passenger cars on the old railroads that was totally distinctive. I've long wondered what it was.
I bought a Chinese Lathe a couple of years ago, which was covered with a lot of preservative for the trip across the ocean. When my neighbor was helping me lift it onto the bench he said, "smells like the military!" I said, sure does.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The theatre projection booth of my childhood had a very distinctive smell that I can instantly recall -- it was a combination of burning carbon, hot oil, hot vacuum tubes, film cement, and BO. Booths today don't smell like that, but every time I went into the booth to visit my uncle as a kid, that smell hit me across the face. There is nothing today like it.

BDetroit

New in Town
Mine's Old Spice. It always reminds me of my dad. As kids that was tradition for my sister and i to buy my dad Old Spice for Christmas. i have never worn it but now that i have little ones I told them they could get me Old spice for Christmas. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ