Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Old suit? This suit was cut by Hawke's of Saville row..."

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
"...Just because the best tailoring you've ever seen is above your f***ing appendix doesn't mean anything!"

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Lounge,

Edward, Ada Veen, and myself have just been discussing, through the use of its many immortal quotes, the unimpeachable worth of a film we hope most of you know; Withnail & I. Have all of you seen it? It's quite the cult film in the U.K., but I've met an awful lot of Americans who have never even heard of it.

Withnail20and20I.jpg

Set in London in the late 1960's, it's about much, much more than just two out-of-work actors who borrow the country cottage of a highly eccentric homosexual uncle for a weekend, only to find that they've "gone on holiday by mistake".

Much more.

Decayed gentility, cruelty and friendship, the past versus the present, town versus country, sexuality, drugs, wealth, talent, pride, and even some swell clothes, mostly on a very large gay man with an English accent so flowery you can almost SEE the curlicues on the end of his sentences.

withnailandi2.jpg

So do you know it, and if so, what do you think of it?

If you don't know it, go rent it, then come back and tell us; what did you think of it?

To a Delightful Weekend In the Country,

T.

P.S. - For those of you who adore Withnail's coat, you can order one from Andrea Galer, the lady who designed it for the film...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's been my favourite comedy ever since I saw it when it came out, and I must have seen it over 20 times now. Still makes me howl with laughter.

I second, third and fourth the recommendation.

"Oh my boys, my boys!" :eek:

panamag8or

Practically Family
Is the film full of British cultural references that I won't understand, or does it translate well across the Atlantic?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
panamag8or said:
Is the film full of British cultural references that I won't understand, or does it translate well across the Atlantic?

I'm not sure panamag8tor, it's very, very dry black British humour so some Americans may like it others might not.

We actually watched it once with an American flatmate we had, and he didn't like it and didn't find it funny. So I suppose it depends. Definitely rent it, because if you like it, you'll love it.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
panamag8or said:

There are some difficult accents in places, but the themes are universal. And if there ARE any British cultural references that you won't understand, they're well worth learning for the sake of enjoying this brilliant film! I think you'd be just fine.

Well-said, Samsa. Bit louder, though...

*clears throat*

GETINTHEBACKOFTHEVAN!

Ow.

T.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
There are a couple of great expressions for hang-overs in there, which I use, too frequently.

B
T

You said it, Mister B.! My personal favourite is, "I feel like a pig shat in my head..." Lordy, it's making me laugh just typing it! lol

Two Quadruple Whiskeys and Two Ciders (Ice in the ciders),

T.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Pair of quadruple whiskies and another pair of pints please"

Love the bit in the tea rooms :D

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I frequently demand that my local victualers bring me cake and the finest wines known to humanity; I want them here and I want them now.

One of the top two movies of the eighties.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
My favourite bit is when they are in the pub and withnail goes (edited for decency)

Withnail:
What fecker said that!?

[The large Irish gentleman in the corner gets up and walks over to them.
Now he is upright we see he is very large indeed and does not look
friendly.]

Big Irish man:
I called him a ponce. And now I'm calling you one. Ponce!
Withnail:
I've a heart condition. I've a heart condition. If you hit me it's
murder!

My wife's having a baby. Listen, I don't know what my f.. [he starts
to say friend but decides on a better course of action] acquaintance
did to upset you but it's nothing to do with me. I suggest you both go
outside and discuss it sensibly, in the street.

lol lol lol lol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
BT, we knew a rather corpulent bloke at the pub back home who was a Latin teacher at a rather well-known school and spoke very similar to Monty.

Needless to say pretty soon he was known as "Monty, you terrible c..." by most of the pub.

"I demand to have some booze!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk