Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the fence- vintage Tauber’s Horsehide Pull-over…yes or no?

technovox

One Too Many
At one of my favorite stops today, I spotted this vintage Tauber’s Horsehide motorcycle pull-over. Not really my thing, didn’t even want to try it on, but dang it, when I did- it fit like it was tailored made for me. It’s got side zips, and zips on the arms- makes it a little easier to pull on. And the leather patina on it is absolutely gorgeous. Total swagger and cool vibe going on. It’s the kind of piece I could see hanging on the wall like a piece of art.
Jeez, I’m really on the fence on this one… assuming it’s still available.

Pros-

Beautiful, rare, and good shape
Fits like a proverbial glove
Longer arms (which I hardly ever find on a vintage piece)

Cons
I just can’t see any situation where I’d really wear it
Not cheap
Don't really need another vintage jacket- especially something this rare and fragile

Any thoughts?

main.JPG

IMG_7190.JPG

IMG_7192.JPG

IMG_7191.JPG

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I think these pullovers are crazy cool if you're riding, I don't think I could pull it off anywhere else but on a bike though. This one in particular I'm no fan of though, I don't like the patina on it. These look so much cooler in black. Wouldn't go for it. Get a Langlitz or Vanson if you dig the look, imho.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fanch is probably right. Still, whenever I find something that fits me that well I think it's some kind of message from God. Plus, one of the actors on the old TV show Wagon Train, Robert Fulton, had one just like it. I'd have a hard time passing it by. I hope this helps.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it looks pretty cool. I also agree that you probably wouldn't get to wear it all that often. If you have been able to resist the temptation to buy it thus far, then maybe it is best to pass on this one.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
If it's not rotten.
If it's not damaged.
If it's not a really, really stupid price...

Then I say buy it!
You'll never wear a new one enough to put that kind of patina on it, and it'll never get to look this cool, so you'll likely never be able to justify the expense of a new one. But this one's got enough character to justify buying it, even if you don't wear it a lot.

MET

A-List Customer
Can you wear it and walk among the public? If no then do not. It would be a waste of money. If you are collector then buy it and introduce it to your herd.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Not my bag in any shape or form - like this or new. If you like it, though, and you can afford it, then the only question to ask yourself is whether you feel you cansee yourself wearing it often enough for it to be worth having in your wardrobe. Of course, if it's not big money, you could always give it a go for a while and see.

I love these but I could never pull it off, figuratively and literally. I think the on-off is something that would be far too troublesome for me to even consider. I think this one looks great on you techno...if you think you could wear it as a shirt...I'd go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana