• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

On This Day In History....

Discussion in 'The Reading Room' started by Mike K., Aug 6, 2008.

1. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Ninety years ago, on April 21st 1926, Queen Elizabeth II was born.

2. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

God Save the Queen!

3. DNO

DNO One Too Many

April 22nd, 1915...the Germans release chlorine gas during the Second Battle of Ypres, making a nasty brutal war even worse.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  4. GHT

GHT My Mail is Forwarded Here

On this day 400 years ago, The Bard, William Shakespeare, died aged 52. Such a legacy he left the world, and not only plays and sonnets. He modernised the English language, creatively made up words and he packed theatres.

Many will say that Shakespeare, his plays that is, are as dull as ditch water. To that I would argue that without Romeo & Juliet there would have been no West Side Story. Without Hamlet, no Lion King. Without The Tempest, no Return to the Forbidden Planet and without The Taming of the Shrew, no Kiss me Kate, as well as many, many more.

So on this day, April 23rd, St. George's day, the patron saint of England, I shall raise a glass to John McCardle, the school teacher who took a motley lot of young schoolchildren, me included, to see Othello, and afterwards, when the rest of the audience had left, the cast came back on stage for an hour long question and answer session. It was magical, I have loved Shakespeare ever since.

Frunobulax and DNO like this.
  5. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Today is ANZAC day in Australia and New Zealand. It originally commemorated the landing at Gallipoli in 1915 but I believe it has become the national day of mourning for all their war dead. Out of respect, memorial events are being held in 8 major Canadian cities as well.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  6. DNO

DNO One Too Many

May 4th, 1910: the Naval Service of Canada was created. It became the Royal Canadian Navy in 1911.

And in 1970, an event I certainly remember well...Ohio National Guardsmen opened fire on student protesters at Kent State University, killing 4 and wounding 9.

7. March 3rd, 1934. 83 years ago John Dillinger escaped from the inescapable Crown Point, Indiana jail using a wooden gun.

83 years ago today, in Sioux Falls, South Dakota John Dillinger Robbed a bank. Just like at many robberies, he took hostages to aid in his getaway. Among these hostages was my great aunt Mary Lucas. She sat on his lap on the ride out of town.

8. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Just reminded by a Google doodle... Mary Pickford was born Gladys Louise Smith in Toronto 125 years ago today.

9. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

100 years ago today, the battle for Vimy Ridge began:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

London, Ontario's Free Press, 10th April 1917.

[​IMG]

11. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.
    -A Midsummer Night's Dream;)

12. April 15th, 1947 in Brooklyn USA. And deep within the mechanism of the universe, a gear shifts.

[​IMG]

13. GHT

GHT My Mail is Forwarded Here

Today (16th) is the birthday of: Charlie Chaplin, as well as: Wilbur Wright, the aviator. Spike (Terence) Milligan, Pope Benedict XVI, Peter Ustinov, Henry Mancini, Bobby Vinton, Dusty Springfield, Ellen Barkin, Jimmy Osmond & comedian Martin Lawrence.

14. DNO

DNO One Too Many

This is of somewhat local interest but at around 8 pm on a cold, windy April 19th in 1904, a constable on his regular beat discovered a fire on the premises of E. Currie's neckwear factory on Wellington Street. By the time the fire was extinguished, 20 hours later, 98 buildings had been destroyed. This was in downtown Toronto on Bay Street south of Richmond...our current financial district. The buildings destroyed were all brick or stone...no wood buildings. It must have been one intense fire, yet only one person died and that was in the clean up later. It was the largest fire in Toronto's history and quite devastating at the time.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

It was 50 years ago today (in North America) that Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released:

[​IMG]

I have always dug Paul's Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) patch:

[​IMG]

2jakes likes this.
  16. Fond memories.
    Buying this LP album when I got paid from one of my first jobs after I got out of high school. :)

MisterCairo likes this.
  17. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

I first heard the album while babysitting one night, I was about 14. Asked for and got the LP for Christmas that year (1981). Just blew me away. It was the first CD I ever bought, twenty years to the day after its first release, June 2nd 1987.

I did not have a CD player yet!

I am beyond upset that all my Beatles CDs were stolen during a move. Mainly because of that first disk.

18. And here I was having a “pity-party” by myself because I no longer have my
    Roberts reel to reel stereo tape recorder and player to listen to the Beatles.
    [​IMG]

All that remains is this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was heading to ’Nam when this first came out!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    MisterCairo likes this.
  19. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Hello Goodbye is my eldest daughter's favourite Beatles tune.

She keeps asking why hula dancers suddenly appear at the end of the video. I always answer "because"...

2jakes likes this.
  20. 90 years ago today was the premiere of The Jazz Singer, the first movie with recorded music and dialogue.

[​IMG]

Fading Fast likes this.