Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions of Baily hats?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
jpbales said:
Usually when it's raining, I don my Fed IV (it's like wearing an umbrella!)...

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I would still grab an umbrella when I slap my hat on if it's raining pretty good. I'd rock both, honestly. A designed for the rain kind of hat (not felt) works great, but they don't have the sheer amount of coverage that your average umbrella has.

A sopping wet hat looks very dramatic though, especially in the movies.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
I like my Bailey Gangster!

For what it's worth, I like my Gangster! What I like about it is the very things that other people don't like. I don't like the sloppy look of a hand bashed hat, I want it to look like it was formed by a laser guided machine, I love precision. I like a stiff dress hat, floppy is for casual hats:fishing hats, ball caps, flat caps and such. As to the shape, mine fits my head perfectly, comfortably and I get lots of complements on it, so it must look good.

jpbales

Practically Family
I find that as long as I have a coat that holds up decently in the rain, and shoes that won't soak through and through, I come out just as dry wearing a hat as I do with an umbrella. The Fed IV sheds most of the water, and stays in perfect shape, even in a full-blown downpour (which I have worn this combo in). An umbrella always leaves your feet and legs wet anyway, so as long as you have a water-resistant coat to cover your body and a hat to shield your head and face, it's actually about the same amount of coverage, I believe.

Dewhurst said:
Yeah... I'm pretty sure I would still grab an umbrella when I slap my hat on if it's raining pretty good. I'd rock both, honestly. A designed for the rain kind of hat (not felt) works great, but they don't have the sheer amount of coverage that your average umbrella has.

A sopping wet hat looks very dramatic though, especially in the movies.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Subvet642 said:
For what it's worth, I like my Gangster! What I like about it is the very things that other people don't like. I don't like the sloppy look of a hand bashed hat, I want it to look like it was formed by a laser guided machine, I love precision. I like a stiff dress hat, floppy is for casual hats:fishing hats, ball caps, flat caps and such. As to the shape, mine fits my head perfectly, comfortably and I get lots of complements on it, so it must look good.

Fair enough. :) Everyone's mileage varies, of course. Me, I'm partial to nice, soft hats, so long as they're not floppy and shapeless. lol I one day wouldn't mind a nice stiff felt hat (a bowler or somesuch), but for me the problem with the Gangster wasn't even the stiffness so much as the fact that it was just plain painful to wear after more than a few minutes.

-Tofu

Subvet642

A-List Customer
AdmiralTofu said:
Fair enough. :) Everyone's mileage varies, of course. Me, I'm partial to nice, soft hats, so long as they're not floppy and shapeless. lol I one day wouldn't mind a nice stiff felt hat (a bowler or somesuch), but for me the problem with the Gangster wasn't even the stiffness so much as the fact that it was just plain painful to wear after more than a few minutes.

-Tofu

If any hat hurt my head, I would have a big problem with that. I am, however, a little numb in the noggin, though. lol

Dewhurst

Practically Family
jpbales said:
I find that as long as I have a coat that holds up decently in the rain, and shoes that won't soak through and through, I come out just as dry wearing a hat as I do with an umbrella. The Fed IV sheds most of the water, and stays in perfect shape, even in a full-blown downpour (which I have worn this combo in). An umbrella always leaves your feet and legs wet anyway, so as long as you have a water-resistant coat to cover your body and a hat to shield your head and face, it's actually about the same amount of coverage, I believe.

Arguments about the sheer amount of surface area covered by a hat with a brim and the average umbrella aside, I suppose neither (no matter how much pride we have in them) is as good as an old fashioned poncho. It had a hood, and covered your entire body down to your shins. Being some sort of plastic, it didn't absorb any water. I can remember my mother making me wear one when it was raining and I had to walk to school. Dorky, but all dry.

Regarding the talk about hat stiffness surrounding these posts, we should probably categorize that with the thoroughly subjective. A stiff dress hat is not a bad thing, despite some people talking as if it were. Some people like a good stiff felt. Others like a good floppy felt. [huh] Stiffness and softness are not synonymous with quality.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
So, while not myself in the Pic (snagged from the maceys site) this is the suit I bought. Obviously not the most vintage thing ever. Unfortunately the few times I was wearing the thing no one was around to take pictures, so I'm reduced to this (not about to put it on and take pictures in the bathroom mirror on my cell phone)

material_london_shot_4_009_9771_135.jpg

It's actually a REALLY nice suit, the attention to detail for being a 200$ jacket and trouser set is awesome.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Madcap72 said:
Do you know that you live in one of the few cities in the US that still has a full service comprehensive hat shop downtown? It's Byrnie Utz's at 310 Union Street, (206) 623-0233. Wear your suit to the shop and let them show you what looks good with it that fits your budget.

If you want the most hat for the least money via mail order, I recommend either the Akubra Stylemaster in steel grey or the Akubra Federation IV in carbon grey. The Stylemaster is available from a number of Akubra dealers; the Federation is an exclusive available only from Hats Direct.

The Federation at current exchange rates plus shipping comes to about $94, but for that money, it's a helluva hat.

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
Yea, I popped by the hat shop Monday, but forgot everything closes for MLK day in Seattle, haven't had a chance to go back.

The Fed IV in the moonstone color REALLY catches my eye. Alas, I just got fired (for looking into raising funds for the company:rolleyes: ) So a Hat is on the back burner for now. (not that I can't afford to get a 90$ hat now, I just don't want to use it as a pot to boil top ramen later)

On the pictured suit, are there even any vintage styling cues? I suppose it's a thoroughly modern suit. What would it be classed as or described?

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
What kind of weird company were you working for with big paycuts and then getting fired for trying to get more sources of income?

R&D place, Never work for family. Was fired for giving away confidential information. The thing of of it is, the only information I gave away what the fact that there is a R&D place making windmills and power storage that's looking for money. Didn't say anything about designs, or even the name of the company or names of employees.

I think the Boss is just trying to show off how smart he is (brilliant) but really has no intention of operating a successful business. The company literally should have had millions by now, the deals where already in place, and he BLEW the time line bad.

Federersfedora

New in Town
Hello to all. I was hoping to get some advice. I was thinking of purchasing a Bailey Draper II fedora. It's going for a good price thats too tempting to not consider. The label says that it's 40% beaver and 60% rabbit fur. I figured since it's made of fur felt, it should be a good hat for all occasions i.e. in the rain/everyday. Is there anyone who has had experience with Baileys fur felt hats?

Hello to all. I was hoping to get some advice. I was thinking of purchasing a Bailey Draper II fedora. It's going for a good price thats too tempting to not consider. The label says that it's 40% beaver and 60% rabbit fur. I figured since it's made of fur felt, it should be a good hat for all occasions i.e. in the rain/everyday. Is there anyone who has had experience with Baileys fur felt hats?
I have a Bailey western in 8X beaver and I think it is a very good hat. The felt is good quality and the hat well made

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know about their fedora or new hats but I had several Baily westerns back in the 70s
I worked at a western store where I did most of the hat creasing. They were good hats, on par with Stetson and Resistol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana