Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo Treatment to my Brown Borsalino

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I sent my favorite lid to the fellas at Optimo to get a few things done.

1) Clean and reattach the liner.

2) Put that great Indy ribbon on it.

Also I wanted them to see this hat. I have yet to see a crown or brim come out of Optimo that looks like mine and wanted to know if they can do that.

Anyway....the hat looks great. I love the ribbon and the liner is attached properly. This hat is perfect. I am done with it.

There is nothing left to do with it but wear it. :fedora:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Treatment

Did they clean the entire hat or just the liner? They cleaned my vintage Cavanagh and replaced the ribbon. It came back looking new, with a better look to the felt. Guess it looks better without 40 years of vintage dirt on it! They are a full service shop.....

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I asked for the felt to not be changed in any way. Kevin wanted to flange the brim, but I didn't want to take a chance.

Why mess with perfection?

At some point I will post some pics. You guys should get a chance to see the best Indy hat yet.:p

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
My heads been spinning all weekend with this concept. Could I get one or both of my old Stetsons reblocked by Optimo and darker ribbons put on them?

Also, I want the ultimate block on my Akubra. It's just FINE the way it is but I want it to be THE BEST.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Renderking Fisk
Could they reblock my Reg Akubra while keeping the crown hight the same and leave the ribbon as is?

Fisk,

In a word, yes. Last Christmas I received a Federation Deluxe from my wife. Not content with the crown shape I sent it to Optimo for a re-block with instructions to keep the original lining, sweat band and ribbon. What I received back was a Fed-dlx with all the stock accessories but with a much less tapered crown but it wasn't stove pipe straight. I wasn't entirely pleased with their job at first. However, after some wear the crown actually became, and is, completely untapered. Total cost: $50. I just included a check in the box with my hat and two weeks later I had my hat back.

The other thing I wasn't happy with was their attachment of the ribbon. It was put on very loose and not as robust as what Akubra does. I ended up replacing the entire stock ribbon with a black one so I didn't bother them about it.

I would definitely use Optimo for any future cleaning and blocking needs. Their prices are actually very low for the service. I have a local hatter that I went to at first and he wanted $75 and up. My Fed-dlx is still going strong with no signs of taper. My regular Federation may end up heading off to Optimo sometime with in the next six months for a refurbish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch