Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original vs Repro A2

Xopher

A-List Customer
Do you fellas prefer wearing original A2s or repros?

I've noticed that you can get an original for about the same price as a high end repro. If you were to have a daily wearer would you get a repro or original?

I think I personally would be afraid to ruin an original, unless it was already in very used condition with no names and paint on it.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Back in the early 1980s, well from 1982ish, Leather jackets were not that popular with the Rockabilly set in the UK. The men primarily preferred vintage 1950s US clothing(The Yanks were not into it) consisting of sports coats, peg trousers and Hawaiian shirts etc. I was just into original A2s and would wear mine(Mainly my Lucky 7 Seven) to these events on a regular basis. I would not claim to have introduced the style but was certainly the most regular wearer at the clubs I frequented. I rarely pulled the girls as they were into the boys in the suits etc rather than some old greasy leather jacket type.
Within a couple of years old leather jackets were everywhere, probably due to the appearance in various TV and films.
I had my Battersea contract Aero A2 but that was an everyday wearer, but I would think I wore the original most once I got it. Yes I was a seven day A2 wearer but mainly originals because they looked cooler than repro's.

Marv

A-List Customer
I don't own an original A2 but at the other end of the spectrum, you can pick up original G1s from various years much cheaper than the high end repros so I am much more likely to wear a 60's issue G1 over say my Eastman G1 repro.

If fact I acutally own more original issue G1s than I do G1 repros and not matter how old or what condition they are in, they always just seem to fit and drape better, maybe that's just age (jacket) thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points