Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orvis Explorer's Shirt

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
In keeping with my ongoing seach for a half-front shirt like Stewart Granger's in King Solomon's Mine, I noticed Orvis recently introduced this shirt:
95CHFHnatural.jpg

Explorer's Shirt

It's like they heard me! Unfortunately, they did not hear the part about needing a tall! Dangit! I'd have to buy two to be able to add some cartridge loops to hold my pipe, though.

picture17go1.jpg

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Nice shirt! But of course, Orvis is still prejudiced against small amigos, and they don't have anything smaller than a medium :rage: :rage: :rage:

Looks like my option there is to homemake it, or have Magnoli do it. Homemade keeps getting better and better... those shell loops are very cool.

I watched my copy of KSM with Granger and immediately went to my Grandfather's (now deceased) pipe collection and found the one that looked most like Quatermain's :D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
I rather like Richard Carlsons shirt in KSM. The way the pockets bellow out and the inset bib.
Hemingway and I were just talking about that shirt! Intriguing, isn't it? Definately a unique look, and I'd be interested to learn a bit more about it.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Mojave Jack said:
Hemingway and I were just talking about that shirt! Intriguing, isn't it? Definately a unique look, and I'd be interested to learn a bit more about it.

Can anybody post some pics/screengrabs for me to base this on?

I'm thinking about having Magnoli do one, if the price is right. If not, Grandma to the rescue!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Jack if you got that shirt and took the left pocket off you'd have the material for the loops. There isn't a pocket on Grangers is there?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That's a good idea, Nick. I tried putting my pipe in the shooting glasses loop on one of my shooting shirts, and the smell of stale tobacco was making me ill after about 20 minutes! :eek: I like the look of the cartridge loops, but I think I'd get more use from the pockets. Those I use every day. You know how it is out here; you can't leave home without sunglasses ro you'll be sorry!

Steve

Practically Family
Well, it was a heckuva lot longer than a week, but I finally ordered myself one. I'll let you all know how it wears.

Cabela's may have something close!

Cabella's safari shirts might be good for you and they have expedition / guide shirts too.

http://www.cabelas.com/

I have several of their safari shirts in short sleeve that I like a lot, hiking shorts and some of their chinos too.

The quality seems pretty good, I wear them alot and they have lasted quite a while, no problems yet.:eusa_clap

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I love my Cabela's Serengeti shirts. I have three of them! They're not strictly Golden Age due to the zippered pockets, but I wear them a lot in both long and short sleeve versions. Sort of in keeping with my "newstalgia" approach to dressing; classic looks, modern convenience! I like their safari shirt styling, too, but I wish they'd make it in an all cotton version. The poly blends tend to be really hot.

I've got several pairs of their pants, though I've sent a couple pairs back that were styled too much like jeans. I find jeans so constricting that I just can't wear them. To short a rise, for starters. Cabela's does offer a decent selection, though.

Steve

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Cabella's safari shirts might be good for you and they have expedition / guide shirts too.

http://www.cabelas.com/

I have several of their safari shirts in short sleeve that I like a lot, hiking shorts and some of their chinos too.

The quality seems pretty good, I wear them alot and they have lasted quite a while, no problems yet.:eusa_clap
I also must vouch for Cabela's quality, but except in mild weather, the standard safari shirt isn't simply too warm as Mojave Jack mentioned. I sweat quite a bit in warm temperatures, so if I stand outside for a while, then go back in, the sweat cools and I get a very uncomfortable sticky chill on my back. The Serenget model serves me much better.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Ditto that Steve. Although the regular shirt has better styling. If only they offered it in the Serengeti fabric...

Steve

Practically Family
The shirt has arrived! I've worn it twice, and I like it as much or more than anything I've owned up till now. The fabric is different, being a knit instead of twill or canvas. It's very dynamic, but thick and comfortable. The half-button style gives it great character.

The only problem I have with it is the length. It is very, very long, and could probably stand being two inches shorter at the bottom hem. But all in all, I give at 4 1/2 out of five stars.

(I aplogize for this picture, I look completely uncomfortable in my own skin.)

img3452pi5.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Steve, that shirt looks good! How loose of a knit is that? Does it stretch like a polo shirt, or is it more of an open weave, like a linen or an Aertex shirt? Of course I have to ask, too, how are the sleeves? lol Do you wear a tall or a regular in shirts?

Steve

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Steve, that shirt looks good! How loose of a knit is that? Does it stretch like a polo shirt, or is it more of an open weave, like a linen or an Aertex shirt? Of course I have to ask, too, how are the sleeves? lol Do you wear a tall or a regular in shirts?
How loose of a knit? Well, it feels slightly stiffer than a t-shirt, but not much. It's hard to describe really. The best way to say it is that it has the same feel of a pullover sweater, but thinner and tighter-woven.

The sleeves are pretty wide at the armhole, and they stretch out a little bit with wear, but they're comfortable. I wore it with my A-2 earlier tonight and it felt fine.

Usually I'm a regular in shirts, but with Cabelas I wear a medium tall for a trimmer cut. The standard hem on this shirt is at least an inch taller than any tall shirt I've ever worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ