Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Been trying for three days to contact the auctioneer at a non-so-local auction house to see if the three highly desirable hats listed at a small auction of otherwise not so desirable crap are my size or if they take phone or on-line bids. No response to multiple emails and the phone messages are "full". :mad:

Probably the universe's way of telling me that I should keep my credit cards locked up. Or that I should learn the proper use of sentence structure. :rolleyes:

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
Which one of you snatched this strat up on etsy after it was posted for several minutes?
c2ce22f6725049e4102c35994e621160.jpg
eda0ae5bc4bfb341d06a7a04e0afb87e.jpg
02ca84e87a7f4057011ac061a24d60cc.jpg
b6dccbf66f33d4d0e4f5a207830eeff1.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
I stumbled across a pretty cool, and what I'm assuming, is an older Christys top hat. Found it on etsy and is being sold out of a museum in Tombstone. I'm really digging this hat but it appears to have some staining along the brim. Would this hat clean up as I'm seriously considering buying it? Though I'm not sure what on earth I'd wear it with lol!
IMG_1007.jpg
IMG_1008.jpg
IMG_1009.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
It depends on what the stain is. The question I have is whether this is a silk top hat or fur felt? I'm not up on cleaning silk, but fur felt can be cleaned pretty well with naptha/white gas/camp stove fuel on things like dirt, grime, grease, etc. I have not had good luck cleaning rust type stains, though.

It looks like a pretty cool hat. It looks like something you'd see a guy wearing in the Deadwood series on HBO.

Last edited:
I stumbled across a pretty cool, and what I'm assuming, is an older Christys top hat. Found it on etsy and is being sold out of a museum in Tombstone. I'm really digging this hat but it appears to have some staining along the brim. Would this hat clean up as I'm seriously considering buying it? Though I'm not sure what on earth I'd wear it with lol! View attachment 84371 View attachment 84372 View attachment 84373
These ascot top hats (or simply: ascot) are fur felt. I wonder if it is is really that old: the size tag looks rather new to me. Usually the older ones don't have a size tag at all because as they are hard hats, they were made to fit the specific customer.

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
These ascot top hats (or simply: ascot) are fur felt. I wonder if it is is really that old: the size tag looks rather new to me. Usually the older ones don't have a size tag at all because as they are hard hats, they were made to fit the specific customer.
I kind of thought the size tag looked a bit out of place and to new for it to be truly old. I hopped on Christys' of London's website and the Ascot top hat is still made in almost this exact same design in both fur felt and wool felt. I found a 1950s vintage liner on a different hat that is similar to the one in the photo I posted. It appears this was probably a costume/prop at the now closed museum in Tombstone and not particularly vintage... Rather unfortunate but still a cool looking hat :)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rV5oMVj.jpg

Procured today from a page called "Bernard's hats" out of Calgary, Alberta, made by Smithbilt right downtown, fur felt with a fabric sweat. I asked if they (Bernard's) had a brick and mortar place as I'll be thru town in a few weeks. I like the vintage smithbilt I have and have visited the current Smithbilt store before, nice folks. Other than the very mediocre McGill hats I think they are the last hatmaker up there.

RJR

rV5oMVj.jpg

Procured today from a page called "Bernard's hats" out of Calgary, Alberta, made by Smithbilt right downtown, fur felt with a fabric sweat. I asked if they (Bernard's) had a brick and mortar place as I'll be thru town in a few weeks. I like the vintage smithbilt I have and have visited the current Smithbilt store before, nice folks. Other than the very mediocre McGill hats I think they are the last hatmaker up there.
Good looking.

[QUOE="Rick Blaine, post: 2294327, member: 1212"]
rV5oMVj.jpg

Procured today from a page called "Bernard's hats" out of Calgary, Alberta, made by Smithbilt right downtown, fur felt with a fabric sweat. I asked if they (Bernard's) had a brick and mortar place as I'll be thru town in a few weeks. I like the vintage smithbilt I have and have visited the current Smithbilt store before, nice folks. Other than the very mediocre McGill hats I think they are the last hatmaker up there.[/QUOTE]
Yes I believe you are right and it is a shame as we have a surplus of damage inflicting beavers up here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider