Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Rosie

One Too Many
Oh, the no snow town sounds tempting but, what will I do with all the wonderful vintage coats I've collected? :( Not to mention my wonderful kidskin gloves. :( :(

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Rosie said:
Oh, the no snow town sounds tempting but, what will I do with all the wonderful vintage coats I've collected? :( Not to mention my wonderful kidskin gloves. :( :(

Right you are! Winter + Cold = The Best Clothes. It has been chilly here so I wore my wool glenn plaid POW pants today... :)

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
While I like the second photo better than the first, I don't think that year-round hot weather would be too good for our ideal town. I do see this town as kind of a Bedford Falls with snow at Christmas and skating on the town pond.

When not running the Water Department, I'd like to run a weather-beaten hot dog stand on the edge of town. I'd specialize in Jersey-style deep-fried hot dogs and frosty, cold mugs of birch beer to wash 'em down with. There'd be an old stove that the customers could sit around during the winter while they debate the merits of our local ballclub.

Wild Root

Gone Home
If there's to be snow, there can not be salt on the roads! Hire a good plow and keep the roads clean... salt and water will rust away a good car before you could sneeze!

Snow is a nice idea but, I lived two years in the worst Canada had to offer... it's fun but when it melts all away is the best thing in the world!lol

=WR=

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wild Root said:
If there's to be snow, there can not be salt on the roads! Hire a good plow and keep the roads clean... salt and water will rust away a good car before you could sneeze!

Snow is a nice idea but, I lived two years in the worst Canada had to offer... it's fun but when it melts all away is the best thing in the world!lol

=WR=
Snow can be fun, but when it melts it leaves behind that horrible dirty slush.
I hope there will be a good daycare center, I wouldn't want the Evil Monkey to be left alone during the day while I'm either cleaning teeth or running the candy/bakery shoppe... I hope there's an Evil Monkey doctor around as well, just in case he gets the sniffles or a tummy ache.

Daisy Buchanan

LizzieMaine said:
No snow please, until I find that perfect pair of winter boots.
You're from Maine, you must have a pair of good Bean Boots!! Everyone in New England has them. The ones with thinsulate are incredible, and the style hasn't changed for ages, so I guess they can be considered vintage.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
LizzieMaine said:
No snow please, until I find that perfect pair of winter boots.

Get a copy of "All That Heaven Allows" with Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman. She wears a great pair of black boots with a shearling top - spike heels!

Alternatively...

You mean to say you haven't any Maine Hunting Shoes?

L35481_Brown_Brown.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone mentioned a green grocer or butcher?
I'll be a nespaper man, if the job is open. The "Scoop" Wolf, yes sir, that's me.;)
Since nobody can agree on a name for the town how about Wolfville or I'll settle for
Wolfburgh.lol

Sincerely,
Scoop

Daisy Buchanan

Scotrace, those are the most comfortable boots! I have the ones with the lighter brown leather, but wish I had gotten the darker. They do make a version that is lined in Shearling, they are quite warm. I actually thought of getting them, but unlike those, I can wear the ones I have in the spring and summer rains as well as the snow. The shearling lined ones really can only be worn in the cold months. I know, not the most feminine of boots. But, I guarantee anyone living in New England will get a pair after one winter without them.

As for a name of the town I vote for Daisyville!!! A paradise for passionate vintage ladies and gents and Evil Monkey's too:D

Mike in Seattle

Wild Root said:
Well, the weather would get only as cold as 30.oF So, coats still could be worn, just no snow!
=WR=

30's below freezing so you can definitely have snow accumulating and ice forming. Actually, snow can start falling at 38 - it just won't stick if the temprature's above 32. Even in the mid-30's, it takes awhile for an accumulation of snow to melt and completely disappear.

Salt's old-fashioned - they've got newer snow & ice melters that aren't corrosive to cars. Or at least that's the story the powers that be with the county have been selling us the last few years. And there's good old sand as well for traction on the roads.

Slush is the worst? IMHO - no. The worst is when there's lots of snow on the ground and it gets up to the mid 30's, even approaching 40 for a little while during the day and then drops back into the 20's when the sun goes down. The snow's just started to melt, streets & walks get wet, and then it freezes into a slick-as-glass sheet of ice.

You haven't lived until you've parked your car on a slight slope in the shopping center lot, struggled to get your footing, slammed the car door behind you and had the car slide a few inches. Or you walk outside, hit the ice before you notice it and slide a foot or more. Fortunately, so far I've managed to keep standing during this type of adventure.

And on top of being able to wear a more varied wardrobe without being overheated, you've got more variety in plants and flowers with four true seasons a year. Bulbs burst into bloom to herald spring's arrival, followed by things like azaleas, rhododendrons and hydrangeas. Then the later summer-flowered plants like lilies and zinnias, plus blueberries & blackberries & raspberries make their appearance, and then pumpkins & apples galore for fall pies, crisps & crumbles.

Seattle's climate, especially "up here on the hill in the hinterlands" at almost 600', is great. Four seasons, but not blisteringly cold in the winter. Three or four snowfalls a year, usually lasting just a day, maybe two. Every four or five years, a big snowfall (12-18" lasting three or four days to a week). The plows clear the roads and spread sand in pretty short order. Rain? New York, Miami, Baltimore & Houston all get more. It's something of a rumor circulated to keep a great secret. :)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Daisy, I like the name for the town but it just seems to be missing Something.lol
:eek:fftopic: Was the monkey always evil?

<-------------------
The Wolf

carebear

The Wolf said:
Daisy, I like the name for the town but it just seems to be missing Something.lol
:eek:fftopic: Was the monkey always evil?

When he was younger he was just "misunderstood". :D

How about Evil Monkeyville. It should cut down on the gawkers and hoi-polloi.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, bootwise I was thinking more along the lines of something with a heel and a fur-trimmed top. Or a pair of vintage galoshes with the buckles on the front!

About salt -- I have a brother-in-law who drives a snowplow for the city, and he tells me they do still use old fashioned rock salt in outlying and rural sections, but in town they use calcium chloride with a "rust inhibitor" additive. That doesn't help much -- rust is still a real problem, and plus the stuff also leaves white stains everywhere. Sand is no fun either -- especially driving behind a sand truck that kicks up a stone and cracks your windshield.

All that said, though, there's much good in winter weather. Here in Maine, it's a way of making sure we appreciate the warm weather -- if you have to be cold and wet and grumpy for six months out of the year, imagine how good it feels when the spring finally comes!

Elaina

One Too Many
I'll volunteer to be the town tailor/seamstress as soon as I finish fashion design college, and for you men out there (and to keep my modesty) my husband can do all the hard work, like sales, fittings and talking to people. I'll sit in the back with my treadle and sew away.

As to the name missing something, what about Willohby Heights?

Elaina

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB