Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Bags

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sorry, they're not Oxford bags... those are nice 40's pants... most likely to a suit at one time. Oxford bags had more then 22" hems. They may not be bags but, they're sure sharp looking pants!

=WR=

From: Esquires Encyclopaedia of 20th Century Men's Fashions

"Having succeeded in giving knickers a baggier look, Ivy League students were ready to adopt something even baggier, the Oxford bags worn by Cambridge and Oxford students, who used them to camouflage their knickers, which had been banned for classroom wear. In 1925 these voluminous trousers, which measured about 25 inches around the knees and 22 inches around the bottoms, had been brought home by vacationing American students and were attracting widespread publicity. Advance notice had been given Americans in Men's Wear the previous year, when writers covering such fashionable events as the Henley regatta cabled word of "the very loose flannel trousers worn". Visiting American journalists reported in 1925 that the bags were so popular with upper class British students that most of them had three pairs, one of silver, one of biscuit, and one of either lavender or powder blue.

In the spring of 1925 John Wanamaker introduced the Oxford bags in New York in a full-page newspaper advertisement that read:

First in America
Redleaf-London OXFORD BAGS
The trousers that have created such a furore in England. Originated by the students at Oxford, they are worn in many places by young men of fashion.
20 to 25 inches wide at foot
Almost as wide at the knee. fashioned after the english style with high cut waistline, and pleats in front. May be worn with braces, but equipped with belt loops and side straps and buckles as a concession to the American habit.
In plain colour flannels: Biscuit ... Silver ... Grey ... Fawn ... Lovat ... Blue Grey ... Pearl Grey. $20 a pair

So those chaps pictured above (not WEEGEE) are wearing what i would consider - to quote H. P. Lovecraft - the ghoulish shade of decay, antiquity and desolation; the putrid, dripping oedolon of unwholesome revelation; the awful baring of that which the merciful earth should always hide. God knows it was not of this world - or no longer of this world ...

bk

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Well, the manufacturer has stopped producing these linen/cotton trousers. There are very limited amounts left. Oh well... another vintagesque item down the drain.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
For the saps that missed a chance

Thanks, Powerhouse!
ox_front2.jpg
ox_front.jpg
ox_side.jpg

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
YOUR WELCOME!

They look great! They fit everyone differently but always look great... and the light linen material is just what the doc ordered for summer.

Sorry about the warehouse problem... I like this color on ya' though.

Thanks.

swinggal

One Too Many
They look like normal everyday trousers to me. Nice but not bags. Bags have a HUGE straight leg wide. You can't even see the shoe! Like my friends' on the previous page. 44 inch!!!

eg:eek:riginals and my friend's

Bags.jpg

jon_big_pants.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's not why I bought them.

I didn't want to to look like I was missing the red rubber nose and squirting flower in my lapel.

These are far from "ordinary," though. They sit above my navel and are much wider through the leg from top to bottom than anything you'd find at Gap. They're obviosuly not accurate copies of the mst outrageous Oxford Baggy pants, but they are pretty nice reproductions of vintage trousers. I like 'em - wish they could still be had.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Why would someone want something like these?
I can't thinl of any body type that it would be flattering to

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Thanks, Powerhouse!
ox_front2.jpg
ox_front.jpg
ox_side.jpg

Erh, Mr.Scott, unless I am missing something... we have no issue here....

You need to see similar shots of me, they will bw supplied no problem....

Bottom line: nothing, and I mean nothin', seems a problem here with your dress sense....

What's buggin' you?

If I were you I'd feel:

(a) Slightly self conscience but.....
(b) Bloomin' cool. Dadio.... No s*** FL.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I found this photo recently. . .

oxfords.jpg

From Mens Fashion in the Twentieth Century from Frock Coats to Intelligent Fabrics by Maria Costantino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112