Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P-40 found in desert

Story

I'll Lock Up
No offence, but that story really sucks! What happened to the pilot, they didn't even bother to post him missing?

'Sucks' is the nature of many wartime tales, which get forgotten and/or overlooked with time.

We really were in retreat, and Copping was temporarily forgotten.

Landman

One Too Many
I can't believe the CO found it hilarious. I also can't believe they didn't send out a search party. How long did they think somebody could survive out there? Everybody seemed to drop the ball here. The pilot with Copping should have tried to push them to search for him.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As I understand, the plane ditched 200 miles from the nearest town. Wasn't any hope of rescue (just think, it's taken this long for the plane to be found!). He probably realised that too. Let's not kid ourselves, it wouldn't have been a quick nor painless death, both physically and emotionally :(

Now that the plane has been found, the Brits (the RAF Museum at Hendon, London) are trying to get it repatriated back to the UK. In the meanwhile, locals are stripping it down for scrap so how much will be left is anyone's guess, and you know how long bureaucracy can take to sign the papers and get the plane home.

Pappyb23

New in Town
Very sad, reminds me of the B-24 " Lady B Good" that crashed during the war. It's a shame he was just written off, but there were without a doubt many others who shared the same fate waiting to be discovered in the deserts and oceans.

Story

I'll Lock Up
That adds a whole other dimension to the story. The pilot's surviving nephew could maybe spur efforts to find his uncle's remains.

Not without significant Egyptian assistance.

Captain Paul Collins, British defence attaché to Egypt, confirmed a search would be mounted for the airman’s remains but admitted it was ‘extremely unlikely’ it would be successful. The spot could be marked as a war grave after the aircraft is recovered.

Captain Collins added: ‘The scene is close to a smuggling line from Sudan and Libya. We will need to go there with the Egyptian army because it is a dangerous area.’

MrBern

I'll Lock Up

Ghost Fighter Photos from Natl Geographic

lost-ww2-fighter-plane-found-desert-egypt-front_53831_600x450.jpg

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/05/pictures/120524-world-war-ii-plane-egypt-desert-science-p-40-lost/

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
It's sad to think the aircraft will make it home before the pilot. Yeah, I know there are thousands like him lying out there, unshriven so to speak, but it's still rather sad. I just hope that when the old bird's cleaned up and sitting in a museum, folks spare a thought for the fellow who didn't make it back...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk