Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pale or Tan?

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
grilled chicken Barbies - were commenting to her that every woman should take care of herself, especially (?) be tanned. She replied - "Isn't it interesting, how you can get a tan, but can not grow brains?" lol

I love those kind of girls.. we have LOTS of those here.. And I just adore how they promote health.. lol

Your friend is my kind of woman :D I've never heard grilled chicken Barbies, I'm going to use that from now on!

Yeah.. we also call them "grilled chicken" here.. But the "Isn't it interesting, how you can get a tan, but can not grow brains?".. IT HAS TO BE PUT IN MY EVERYDAY USE. lol

Juliet

A-List Customer
Well, yes. :)
Now, actually, I've always been very fair-skinned - and I usually don't tan a bit, just go red and then white again :( . But I've just returned from a trip to Slovenia and I did get a slight tan there, entirely by accident. Imagine my relief, when I discovered my Jackie Oates was still suitable in colour to my face. (BUT I'M STILL GOING BACK TO MARIBOR FIRST CHANCE I GET!!!!!!:D)

But as it happens, now that our lab got into extensive research work with collagen - and I mean the one in our skin, not the hydrolysed gelatin that is put into creams - I got even more aware of avoiding exposing my skin to direct sunlight. Darn, that damage DOES last a lifetime.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
It gets me, too. I don't know whether its because of South Park, but young people have a real thing about "gingers." I had one friend who was quite pale and freckled with flaming orange hair, and when we went to an amusement park, he was pointed and laughed at many times! It wasn't just little kids either, it was teenagers and people in their early 20's. I was disgusted, and not just because I'm a "ginger" too - because nobody should be ridiculed for something they cannot control.

I have to say, I think this whole "ginger" phenomenon is the weirdest thing ever. I'm a natural redhead. So were my mother and grandmother, and none of us have *ever* been called a ginger. I remember in high school and my early 20s everyone wanted to dye their hair red. The whole anti-ginger movement really seems to have taken hold within the last few years. I also suspect is more widespread in places outside the US. Regardless, I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

Anyone who makes fun of a "ginger" has obviously never laid eyes on Christina Hendricks (even if it isn't natural).

Edward

Bartender
It seems to be a new thing; at least it certainly wasn't something over which kids were picked on when I was at school, as recently as 1993. "Ginger" and "red" are different things, though, if you want to be technical (the prejudice affects both, however). "Ginger", strictly speaking, is a different tone than "red". "Red" is auburn, ginger is what I have also heard referred to as "strawberry blonde".

Juliet

A-List Customer
I've never come across that, too (and to my knowledge, neither have my friends). And it IS the weirdest thing. Why ridicule a haircolour? One that's not ugly, even? I guess, I could to some extent understand name-calling over green, blue or etc. hair. But ginger? *shrug*
Why not ridicule people who only have one head?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It's because of South Park. They began the joke, and the suggestible youth of today caught on to it. It's a favourite joke of my blonde and tanned brother, especially since I'm the token redhead of the family.

Christina Hendricks sure helps our reputation, though ;)

wahine

Practically Family
I can't believe grown-ups (or almost grown ups) would make fun of a hair color. I mean, I can believe it because I believe what you say and I know how people can be. But I can't BELIEVE it, you know. It's so f** stupid! :eeek:
Making fun of superficial things like appearance is just out of the question, one must be dumb to do so.

btw - here, I hear people saying a lot that red haired are extraordinarily passionate. Still superficial and a prejudice, but at least a good one.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
btw - here, I hear people saying a lot that red haired are extraordinarily passionate. Still superficial and a prejudice, but at least a good one.

It is a bit of a blanket generalization, but I think it's a good one. I love living up to that expectation :D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Had to chuckle at this GWD. I have tan lines from being a twice a week swimmer for exercise. I was looking at a particular cocktail dress that my fave saleslady at Nordstrom- when she saw me in it, said I should use a spray bronzer to 'fill in' the tan lines on my upper back. I told the Mr. about that, and he said very emphatically "No don't!" Almost all of my evening gowns show off the tan lines on my upper back. I kinda like that I have them- they are my 'stripes of honor' so to speak for being a committed to exercising and thereby more physically healthy person. The Mr. loves to swim too, so he was delighted to discover that I am a water baby also.

But I have to admit I find tan lines insanly sexy, almost to the fetish level. (Prolly Too Much Information) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
a true 'Red'- Maureen O' Hara in Sinbad the Sailor and The Quiet Man.

It seems to be a new thing; at least it certainly wasn't something over which kids were picked on when I was at school, as recently as 1993. "Ginger" and "red" are different things, though, if you want to be technical (the prejudice affects both, however). "Ginger", strictly speaking, is a different tone than "red". "Red" is auburn, ginger is what I have also heard referred to as "strawberry blonde".

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First I burn, then I peel, and at the end I'm left with unclean looking gray tan patches all over my skin (my face, naturally suffers the most: I get freckles, my nose peels off..). HOW is that attractive?! :faint:

And then there's sunblock question:
They write "can be used under your daily makeup", but it can't, not really. It's way to greasy for me. [huh]

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
I've never had a tan and I live in Australia! Haha - I freckle a lot or else I burn but unlike Stray Cat when I peel I swear i'm just as pale as I was before! I always buy moisturiser with spf but I just have to put up with the greasiness and wear sunscreen if i'm actually going to spend time in the sun - earlier in the summer I was out all day and cause of the way I had my hat half of my face got burnt...and only half of it. Not attractive at all :/

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
I've heard great things about the Mecca moisturiser with SPF (not sure if that brand is outside of Aus..).although i haven't actually used it myself. I don't tend to wear much foundation during the day so that hasn't been too much of an issue with me though I definitely get where you're coming from! I just use a No. 7 foundation and I think that has spf 15 so it's not a huge amount of protection - would be good to find out if there are foundations out there with a good level of coverage and sun protection :)

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Can you wear a tinted moisturizer? Skinceuticals has a sheer, SPF 50-block tinted moisturizer, Physical Fusion UV Defense. It's pricey but lasts quite a long time (4.2 oz, daily use, has lasted 11-months), as a little goes a long way. The viscosity is thinner than a moisturizer and doesn't sit as heavy on my skin. A light foundation can go over this product. Totally different is Bobbi Brown SPF-25 Tinted Moisturizer Balm. I use the medium tint - the product is thicker and goes on sheer and dewy. For me, it blends better with a soft makeup sponge as opposed to my fingers Again, a pricey product, but goes a long way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider