Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

palm beach suits

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Hi All,

I just found that a local tailoring shop sells linen suits, single breasted. I asked if I could get it in tan and they said yes. My question is this: how close are they to Palm Beach suits? And if they cant match the color of a PB, how would I go about dying it to match?

Thanks

Mike

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My question is this: how close are they to Palm Beach suits?

Depends on how you categorize linen and Palm Beach cloth. If you see linen as a warm-weather suiting fabric, then you'll find it akin to Palm Beach cloth. If you see linen as a smooth-surfaced, wrinkly fabric that's cool to the touch, then you'll notice that it differs from Palm Beach cloth's rougher, less wrinkly, more wooly 'hand'.

Or ... depends on how you categorize suits made of Palm Beach cloth. (There was no such thing as 'Palm Beach suits' per se.) The fact is that Palm Beach cloth suits were designed and made to look like typical suitings of the time. Two-piece, three-piece, single-breasted, double-breasted, notch lapel, peaked lapel, plain back, belted back: all could be had in Palm Beach cloth.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points