Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

My straw shelf for summer daily wearers...

straws_a.jpg

straws_b.jpg

straws_c.jpg

straws_d.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
After the friendly hazing by Charlie and Bob, and in conjunction with my own personal regrets that kept nagging at me daily and without end, I finally got through to the showroom in Guayaquil and bought the super fino semi-calado that I held in my hands for such a brief moment. It arrived this afternoon.

It is nicer than I remembered. A nearly overwhelming experience, handling this work of art is quite the experience. Here are some lousy phone pics. You'll note there is no ribbon. A very unassuming, lite brown, cotton sweat is attached inside. I can't decide if I should send this to be finished by Art, or just keep it as-is for awhile.

I count 26-27 wpi on the brim, so 676-729 wpsi. So nice.... If I want to actually see the weaves I have to lean in close and use my bi-focals!

There's a guy outside power washing so I'll have to take better pics later. Man, this paja toquilla is majestic!

i-qpxcSZj-XL.jpg

i-Jkx4MpC-XL.jpg

i-dBXwcSQ-X2.jpg

i-r6HPTxZ-XL.jpg

i-mfWmnxr-XL.jpg

i-63h7V4S-XL.jpg

i-d5Zfs9x-X2.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
After the friendly hazing by Charlie and Bob, and in conjunction with my own personal regrets that kept nagging at me daily and without end, I finally got through to the showroom in Guayaquil and bought the super fino semi-calado that I held in my hands for such a brief moment. It arrived this afternoon.

It is nicer than I remembered. A nearly overwhelming experience, handling this work of art is quite the experience. Here are some lousy phone pics. You'll note there is no ribbon. A very unassuming, lite brown, cotton sweat is attached inside. I can't decide if I should send this to be finished by Art, or just keep it as-is for awhile.

I count 26-27 wpi on the brim, so 676-729 wpsi. So nice.... If I want to actually see the weaves I have to lean in close and use my bi-focals!

There's a guy outside power washing so I'll have to take better pics later. Man, this paja toquilla is majestic!

i-qpxcSZj-XL.jpg

i-Jkx4MpC-XL.jpg

i-dBXwcSQ-X2.jpg

i-r6HPTxZ-XL.jpg

i-mfWmnxr-XL.jpg

i-63h7V4S-XL.jpg

i-d5Zfs9x-X2.jpg
Beautiful hat Eduardo! I mean Doug.

Yun_bw

New in Town
Hi,

Thinking to buy a Panama hat, but I realized there are different brim sizes. I wonder what's the "standard" brim size for the Panama hat. I tried some before it looked more like cowboy hat for me.

Thank you

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I bow in your direction, Doug... be still, my heart!

Possibly the finest semi-C I have EVER seen. Absolutely worth changing your name for!!
No kidding, my heart flutters when I hold this hat!

The Brent Black, though, way too small..... about a 7-1/8 by my best estimate. But it runs between 21 and 24 wpi by my count, so 441 to 576 wpsi. It has a 3-1/4" brim, and a pencil curl around the sides and back. What a sweet hat, but it looks like it will be going to the classifieds or ebay. Darn, I sure wish it would re-block to 59.5 cm!

i-Bt4k67S.jpg

i-p6dPJ3K.jpg

i-m5dQmdv.jpg

The Brent Black, though, way too small..... about a 7-1/8 by my best estimate. But it runs between 21 and 24 wpi by my count, so 441 to 576 wpsi. It has a 3-1/4" brim, and a pencil curl around the sides and back. What a sweet hat, but it looks like it will be going to the classifieds or ebay. Darn, I sure wish it would re-block to 59.5 cm!

i-Bt4k67S.jpg

i-p6dPJ3K.jpg

i-m5dQmdv.jpg
I STILL like it!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

i-Bt4k67S.jpg

i-p6dPJ3K.jpg

i-m5dQmdv.jpg
I would take yours over most BB's.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
The measurements from the auction must have been off, weren't they?
Yes, I thought it might be a little small but also considered having it reblocked and creased by Art or Mike or.... this is too small for that; like an inch-plus too small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points