Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brian Sheridan said:
Just got my first straw hat today.

newhat.jpg

Brian, looks like an advertisement for the hat! Great choice, looks great!
dean

deanglen

Pilgrim said:
One thing that I notice about Dan Jones' hat and many other panamas is the way the brim breaks as it separates from the crown, and the gentle curves in the brim itself. I noticed this first in an inexpensive panama I own.

Rather than a crip 90 degree transition from crown to brim, the transition seems to be more of a curve. In fact, the brim itself seems to curve more than to "snap" into place. It's difficult to describe, but the effect seems to be that of a material (toquilla fiber) that is fairly soft and therefore changes shape somewhat more gradually than a stiff straw or felt.

I have some Milan straws; they are quite stiff and have much more crisp transition angles, and there's more "snap" to the curve in the brim.

Does this description make sense? If so, am I observing a quality of the material itself, or does it have more to do with the quality of the hat and the way it has been blocked?

Pilgrim, I'm glad someone else noticed this and commented on it. I feel pretty sure it's a consequence of the hat material and the blocking style, and
I'm wouldn't know if it's quality thing, or some other factor.

dean

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I think it is probably the nature of the paja and the technique used in blocking. When I look at hand finished hat, the block is more crisp at the brim break than those pressed on a machine.

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
I'm a big fan of panamas. If only I had a camera I'd post pictures of mine: a slightly bashed about one I wore through the middle east 2 years ago, a Pachacuti rollable fedora that I've put a thicker ribbon and windcord on, and a Christy's optimo with the top squared off.

The Pachacuti is incredibly light - just what a panama should be, and the Christy is a bit heavier, but with a nice wicking sweatband. The first I don't wear much anymore, because it's quite hot and the sweatband seems to encourage persperation rather than whisking it away.

mingoslim

Practically Family
You have some great straws . . .

Bud-n-Texas said:
Ok fellas, lets show what ya got. All straws are welcome and appreciated.

These first two are my vintage straws, a Lee panama and a Adam milan.
P1000124.jpg

But the Adam Milan looks great on you . . . I think it is your personal best.

Undertow

Here are my straws starting from finest and ending in...well, most easily worn:

monticristicuenecapanamas.jpg

The one on the left is a Montecristi fino, on the right is a Cuencas something...not sure. It's a moderate hat, but looks nice with a few suits! :)

aussiecowboy.jpg

On the left is a straw golfing hat I picked up from a friend, it's from Australia but I don't have many details on it and on the left is a HatBiz 50x, good work hat for the yard and out on the fields.

clubstraws.jpg

Last are my club hats, both are the same, just different color. You can see I've pinched the tan one because I tend to wear it more often and I prefer the pinched look on it. I wear these when I'm out and about, or running errands, etc. In other words, I wear these while I'm dressed down. Both are very comfortable.

Reactions: DRB

HungaryTom

One Too Many
My Commissioned hat from Panama Hatworks of Montecristi has arrived.

As promised a while ago I thank PanamaBob and Art Fawcett for their work in the Panama Canal.
The hat has 14 vueltas, I really could not find out the weavecount it is so fine: 40+ weaves counted horizontally and vertically.
The hat was worth the money, the wait, the trust.

PHMMontecristiArtFawcettBogeyClo-1.jpg

PHMMontecristiArtFawcettBogeyClo-4.jpg

PHMMontecristiArtFawcettBogeyClo-3.jpg

Robert and Art,

Thank you very much.

Regards:

Tom

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
My turn to jump in.

I guess I'm like most members, much more comfortable lurking in the shadows. But here is my Panama- a Montecristi from PanamaBob, 700+ WPI. It is more than I could have asked for!

DSC_5704.jpg

DSC_5707.jpg

DSC_5866.jpg

This hat has served me well all summer, from the baking heat of Las Vegas to the cool mists of Pismo Beach. Quite a "Beach Hat" don't you think!

Cheers,

RC

HungaryTom

One Too Many
RC - Nice Optimo

Very nice panama hat.

Bob always surpasses in the weave-count. At least I did not expect 1600+ wpsi. The Optimo on your head is convincing me to also try an Optimo one day.

I can not count really well since I am not an expert - I just followed the advice - "PUT YOUR MONEY IN THE WEAVE" - © by Sharpetoys.
The hat looks like skin, silk NOT straw. The texture is very fine. - I have never seen anything like that before in real life. Even the Panama Hat book photos are not really showing the colors - the photographs turned out more yellow.
I will take a magnifying glass - the bare eye can not really see those small knots.
Bob just a question - who was the weaver doing this miracle?
The commissioned hat is superbly fine - I did wear it yesterday.

Blocking and dressing: Art is really a magician: the Bogey block is really good - fitting my statue and heavy face. Better go one size up: I have RTW hats with 59/60 cm.
The 61 cm fits my head perfectly - I heard that hats tend to shrink.
Also I think Art has true size blocks - since they are vintage: not the one size fits all modern blocks, so it is better to go up one size.
Just like I did with my Ready to wear Vass shoes.
The navy ribbon is really exquisite. The brim of the hat snaps to the head shape.

Comment to the photos: as said before it is the hat that is the closest to perfection -not my head. Other: the real life color is not that ghostly white - it has nice ivory color - photos kill the true beauty. The natural straw colors can be seen the best in the photo with the vueltas.

PHMMontecristiArtFawcettBogeyKeri2.jpg

The hat has no stiffener - unlike my Cuenca (not from PHM!), but funny that it is not necessary at all.
It fits perfectly - I did not notice almost that I have one hat on my head.

PHMMontecristiArtFawcettBogeyKeri4.jpg

Thanks once again.

geckoheart

Familiar Face
The other end of the spectrum

Beautiful hat HungaryTom

Here is my Montecristi Beach Hat from PB. I re-bashed it. I am heading to Myrtle Beach on Monday morning and figured it needed a change.
From the front
coltbeachhat013.jpg

From the side

From the front top- close up

Not quite the quality of HungaryTom's, but will keep me happy at the beach all week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk