Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat Thread

HungaryTom

One Too Many
The purpose of this purchase was for me to get the LEGENDARY Panama hat come true in my life. I already have a normal Cuenca hat. And a gardening wheat straw hat. Those hats are there for sun protection.

This work of art was for the art collector in me.

Robert Weber:

I believed that PanamaBob could make the legend happen - despite reading info about the contrary elsewhere... Bob is cheaper in price does not mean that he is cheap in quality!

800-900 USD... I wanted somewhat extra so I just worked some extra time for that- I didn't take credit! If it goes here in Hungary - please don't tell me it doesn't work in the US! I had some fellow Hungarian guys who worked in the States: they got 3-4 times higher salaries! The US green card lottery has some applicants for reasons.

Yes, I don't own dozens of hats - but I wanted this one. Rather a few quality pieces instead of many-many.

This quality of a hat exists with PanamaBob's competitors (e.g.14 pcs in Hawaii) but for price people buy cars. Maybe it is OK for some collector to pay 10k USD for a collector quality hat but for me it was mission impossible.

Please compare like in any martial arts: featherweight vs. featherweight and heavyweight vs. heavyweight. 20-30 USD hats from PanamaBob with the other competitors 20-30 USD hats. Museo quality vs. others museo quality.

This hat with its superbly fine weave and the plenty of vueltas comes very close to vintage specimens. Thats what I saw when comparing the vintage film on a superfino and the close up photos in the Panama hat book.

This hat stands the comparison with all times and all provenances-I think. And since this hat is new it has the 60-80+ years longer lifespan and was made for my size. My great grandpa's panama (he had one in the 1920's) wouldn't fit me - I am 30 cm taller plus WW2 took also that hat, besides soo many other things.

Art Fawcett:
I think Mr. Fawcett managed to give exactly the dosage of intervention which allows the hat to get its true form on the head - its brim is floppy when it is stored on a table - but if I put it on my head and a few strokes on the brim- the miracle happens and fits! I prefer here the fine weave and texture - instead of the rigid shape. Art did preserve it the best way -the high class of blocking.

Marc Chevalier's vintage Optimo showed that Art can even restore vintage hats!
That is already a true mastery of a craft.

I showed my hat to my best friend and his wife - they also confirmed that looking backwards this hat was worth the wait. BTW it was him who instinctively compared this with skin.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Good for you Tom

As you have found out Tom, the proof is the hat in your hands. Robert and Art do not have to run down another's product in order for theirs to shine. The low class hatters show themselves for what they are, be it degrading another's hat or childish name calling to provoke those that choose not to succumb to their infantile shenanigans. Such ostentatious outburst only confirm their juvenile ways and we all have heard of their swindeling practices. You are the customer, and if you are happy, what else could matter.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My one nd only

Here's my one and only Panama, a Montecristi that I got in 2003. If I'd known about the Lounge then, I'd have known not to pick it up by the pinch. So now I have a pretty gaping hole in the front, which is quite visible. People say it gives the hat "character", I think it just looks ratty. It was a nice hat, tho, about 200 thingies per square inch. Anyhow there are rumors that a certain very nice girlfriend is in contact with a certain Panama Bob person to acquire for me an even nicer one. BUT, it is THIS HAT that you may or may not see in a scene in the upcoming Frank Langella - Elliott Gould movie, "On the Hook". We'll see if I wind up on the cutting room floor.
Panamahatsmall.jpg

Reactions: DRB

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And here's my new optimo Panama from Bob & Art:

p1011039cd1.jpg

p1011059xk3.jpg

It's not quite up to Tom's level (great hat, Tom!), but I'm awfully happy with it as my first foray into the upper end (for me) Panama market. I suspect it won't be my last.

Price aside, I'm a little wary of going too high on the wpsi as I keep hearing that they are hotter due to the denser weave (only makes sense). Considering we're in the midst of a 100+ degree heat wave I do want my Panamas to be useful to fight the heat. Of course, I fear I may be the victim of wpsi creep over time!

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
And here's my new optimo Panama from Bob & Art:

p1011039cd1.jpg

p1011059xk3.jpg

It's not quite up to Tom's level (great hat, Tom!), but I'm awfully happy with it as my first foray into the upper end (for me) Panama market. I suspect it won't be my last.

Price aside, I'm a little wary of going too high on the wpsi as I keep hearing that they are hotter due to the denser weave (only makes sense). Considering we're in the midst of a 100+ degree heat wave I do want my Panamas to be useful to fight the heat. Of course, I fear I may be the victim of wpsi creep over time!
PanamaBob, Alan & FL what is the ideal wpsi for coolness?

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Richard, Bud, Alan,

Thank you for the compliments. Alan, you look elegant in your Optimo.

Dherman,

I firmly believe your replacement hat will be a very nice one.

Apipe,

I think if it is really hot - you can use an open weave crown hat or a coarser weave if you don't like the open weave style.

Regards:

Tom

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
please explain

HungaryTom said:
Richard, Bud, Alan,

Thank you for the compliments. Alan, you look elegant in your Optimo.

Dherman,

I firmly believe your replacement hat will be a very nice one.

Apipe,

I think if it is really hot - you can use an open weave crown hat or a coarser weave if you don't like the open weave style.

Regards:

Tom
Huh???

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
apipeguy said:
PanamaBob, Alan & FL what is the ideal wpsi for coolness?

I'm certainly not the man to ask. I would assume the more open the weave the cooler it would be up to the point where the weave would be too porous to block the sun effectively.

Robert, Art and Sharpetoys are probably the men to ask.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you Hungary Tom for posting your hat. As you know, I worried quite a while over that one.
Apipe..There are open weave panamas that are called either "semi calado" or full calado. I don't have pics handy but I know that PB has posted some here on the lounge this summer so if you could do a search on those terms you should find it. A picture will replace 1K words.
Enjoy

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Almost embarassed to post this after the MC masterpiece

However, I am extremely happy with this, my second panama from PB. This is a Bogie, blocked by Art. I'm way too lazy to actually count the weaves, but I estimate it to be in the neighborhood of 1000. Soft, lightweight, comfortable. I'm loving it...

DSC_6021.jpg

DSC_6023.jpg

Thank you immensely, both PB and Art!

Cheers,

RC

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
My two cents on this

AlanC said:
I'm certainly not the man to ask. I would assume the more open the weave the cooler it would be up to the point where the weave would be too porous to block the sun effectively.

Robert, Art and Sharpetoys are probably the men to ask.

I think the perfect weave for a everyday hat is 800 to a 1000 weaves per square inch Montecristi. It still blocks the sun and keeps your head cool within reason.

I like my dress hats woven finer since they are only for dress/dinner etc.

I have a 1000 wpsi Cuenca that Robert Weber had woven for me in a different weave than a Montecristi and that is a very nice hat also.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Art Fawcett said:
There are open weave panamas that are called either "semi calado" or full calado.[/QUOTE

I notice from my Collins Spanish Dictionary that "calado" translates as "open work" or "fretwork" and originally means soaked. There is an expresion "con la boina calada hasta las orejas" = "with his beret pulled down over his ears" where calada seems to suggest "pulled down". Over to you Art for the hatter's definition.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Apologies for this delayed reply, but I only just discovered this thread. Some lovely hats in here. I'm currently looking for a panama for a present (and maybe another for myself), so this thread is very helpful and its resurfacing is well-timed.

DOUGLAS said:

Hey Doug you've got a real Hannibal Lecter thing going on in that last picture. Like he was in "Hannibal"? Ever seen that? You need to carry a Bronica and you're all set. I think it's the brim.

Personally, I really liked several of the hats in your post, "throw-away" or not. In particular I love the first one, and the third. Hope you've still got them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points