Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants Length for 5' 10 ' Man??

radman46

New in Town
Anyone else out there 5 foot 10 give or take? How long of an inseam to you buy especially with jeans? I have always wore boots and ususally bought my pants and jeans a bit longer, but lately it seems like they are way too long. Just curious what other guys my height wear. Thanks for the help.

Edward

Bartender
I'm 5'10" bang on. Typically, I'm a 'regular', though in terms of actual measurements, I've had anything from a 29" to a 33" inside leg, all depending on how the trousers are cut. My high-waisted, Oxford bags (vintage repro) are about 29", and spot on - not too short at all, but equally not too long (important, with that amount of material!). In a pair of modern trews, I can be anywhere between 31" and 32". It varies, though I do find that often as not the higher the rise in the trousers, the lower my inside leg measurement is likely to be. [huh] Jeans I now prefer cuffed, so I always buy a length up on what I would otherwise wear (typically a 34" or 35" instead of a 32" inside leg).

Not sure I'd go by my measurements in your place, though - if you observe enough folks you'll see quite a lot of variance in the proportions of men of the same overall height - some guys have longer legs and a shorter torso and vice versa.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I agree with Edward. The proportion of leg length to torso length that combines to make up a 5' 10" man can vary enormously from person to person.

Much better to just go to a jeans store and try on several pair until you find what you like.

BTW, welcome to the Lounge.

Talbot

One Too Many
First time I visited a menswear store in the US I couldn't believe it;

"You can actually select trousers by inseam as well!!??!!"

Buying trousers you acn actuall wear out of the store - pure luxury.

Down here, everything, off the rack included, is made for basketballers. Jeans come in one length only - loooong. I have a 31 inseam and its not uncommon to have 10-12 inches of discarded trouser leg after alterations.

If you by a suit or casual, you must factor leg length alterations into the cost and time. Nothing looks more ridiculous than slightly faded off the rack blue jeans that have to be freshly altered.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wolfmanjack said:
The proportion of leg length to torso length that combines to make up a 5' 10" man can vary enormously from person to person.
QFT.

I am 5'11.5" and I tend to wear 30" inseam pants but the inseam varies from pants to pants so I wear from 29 to a 31" inseam as listed on their size tages. 32 tends to be a bit too long in most. It's been a while since I have had my measurements taken so I don't recall what the tailor came up with.

My mom said I was "long in the body" so my torso is a little longer than average. This comes into play on amusement park rides where the retaining device is the hinged and cushioned pipe style that swings down to go over ones shoulders. I am taller than most that way and these tend to crush me into a hunchback position for the length of the ride, not comfy so I tend to pass on "rides" these days.

kyboots

Practically Family
Inseam

Guys the inseam is not necessarily directly related to the overall height, but how long the legs are and where is the waist. Two people of 5'10" height may have inseams that vary by 1-4 inches. Femurs and tibias all vary in length depending on the person. If you wear pants high on the waist add to the inseam length. ( this is not the real inseam but inseam by choice). Low wearing jeans would be a different situation. I am 6'-6'1" and my inseam is 34" ( no I don't wear pants on my navel but just have long legs in proprtion to my overall body height). I still wear a 34" inseam even with low riding jeans and boots.Of course we all know there is a precise measured way of finding an inseam, but when buying pants the inseam varies by many ways. Then always consider the fit of the pants around the waist and the pelvis. Sorry if I bored anyone. John

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Inseam is not related to the waist. Inseam is crotch to hem so an individual's inseam length would not change whether the trousers were high-waisted, low-waisted or normal.

Not all trousers are cut with the same crotch placement - some are lower than others and low-crotch trousers would need a shorter inseam length than high-crotch trousers.

I'm 5'10", with jeans I wear a 30" inseam. Dress trousers usually end up with a longer inseam because I don't like low-crotch trousers and I have the tailor raise the crotch if it is too low. My waist is in a fixed position and that is where the waist on my trousers are fit.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Wolfmanjack said:
I agree with Edward. The proportion of leg length to torso length that combines to make up a 5' 10" man can vary enormously from person to person.
Agreed. I'm just under 5'10", and I take a 37 short because I have long legs and a shorter torso. (Good luck finding that size in a store, though.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ