Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

parbuntal straw hats

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Well, I was hoping for better light to photograph my finished product. Just my luck the sun goes away...I did manage to get a few decent shots yesterday, before a few final tweaks.
Anyways, after deciding to finish it, I spent sone time making a few pugs out of various fabrics, including tie-dyeing a white silk scarf in green and brown, before deciding that all that was just too distracting from the real star of the show, the artistry of the weaver that created the thing all those years ago. So, simple it was. I originally sewed in a grosgrain ribbon for a sweat, but decided it was too flimsy and replaced it with cotton twill. I did dye my ribbon to a dark brown for the band.
The straw itself is amazing. I was afraid at first that it's fineness equalled delicateness, but boy was I mistaken! It is strong, flexible, resilient, and with just a little moistening as pliable as play-doh. It seems to be impervious to everything my ham-hands could do to it in the process of making it resemble a hat. Even with stitching in the sweat twice, not a single straw broke. Open weave helps on that, I'm sure. So, even though I know my work is clumsy compared to the professionals, my stitches are a bit crooked, my bow could be nicer, etc., I am still pretty proud of the finished product.

moehawk Original No. 7

1b9a2ec14aa30b19b120d6e0edc2a1d2.jpg
11102259bfcdf84f9aef92494739984f.jpg
4d1f5627dbf0152e1fafa3e417ceb64a.jpg
f95a5ccaaee184839a4021d36b76bb4c.jpg

As far as a name for this one goes, it's narrowed down to:
The Fino Fino Filipino,
Or,
The Chilla from Manila.
I like both about the same.:)

John Galt

Vendor
That one looks like a cousin to the the Stetson Balibuntal posted earlier in this thread. It appears to be treated or coated with a similar bronze hue. I've wondered if there is water resistance there though I've never tried to find out.

It does look similar, Alan. Mine is newer, I fear, and although it does have sheen I don't see on the tube hats, it is a true black finish. The button itself looks identical to my eye.

John Galt

Vendor
Well, I was hoping for better light to photograph my finished product. Just my luck the sun goes away...I did manage to get a few decent shots yesterday, before a few final tweaks.
Anyways, after deciding to finish it, I spent sone time making a few pugs out of various fabrics, including tie-dyeing a white silk scarf in green and brown, before deciding that all that was just too distracting from the real star of the show, the artistry of the weaver that created the thing all those years ago. So, simple it was. I originally sewed in a grosgrain ribbon for a sweat, but decided it was too flimsy and replaced it with cotton twill. I did dye my ribbon to a dark brown for the band.
The straw itself is amazing. I was afraid at first that it's fineness equalled delicateness, but boy was I mistaken! It is strong, flexible, resilient, and with just a little moistening as pliable as play-doh. It seems to be impervious to everything my ham-hands could do to it in the process of making it resemble a hat. Even with stitching in the sweat twice, not a single straw broke. Open weave helps on that, I'm sure. So, even though I know my work is clumsy compared to the professionals, my stitches are a bit crooked, my bow could be nicer, etc., I am still pretty proud of the finished product.

moehawk Original No. 7

As far as a name for this one goes, it's narrowed down to:
The Fino Fino Filipino,
Or,
The Chilla from Manila.
I like both about the same.:)

Moh,

I think it looks very good, especially in light of - if I understand correctly- hand shaping the crease. I have little experience with straw but did block one of these before selling the body. I did not finish it, and when I got back to it I wished I had left it on the block or immediately put a sweat in it because the crown had started to open up in the interim. If I had any advise anyone wanted to listen to, that would be it. As for the straw, it truly is an amazing material, and the body itself is fine art in my opinion. I don't think you've done it any damage in the event you want it redone professionally at some point in the future, and you've made yourself a very handsome hat! Huzzah!

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
TY John and Bob! I appreciate the compliments.
Yes, the crease and dents were done by hand, mostly with just gentle pressure from one finger. It was just that agreeable to being shaped. Fine art indeed!
The ribbon and bow are mine, and TY again!

John Galt

Vendor
Got lucky and found two more parabuntals. One from fellow lounger, Cookie, and one from an undisclosed source. When received & time allows, I will post photos.

John Galt

Vendor
Here is the parabuntal from Cookie. It was a woman's hat and is large bodied. I've stripped off the hatband, which was made of the same material. The weave is very fine, and the body is exceptionally light and pliable. There is a wire in the brim, but there is plenty of brim. I expect that when I get around to working on this, I'll probably stitch the brim at the target width to prevent unravelling and then cut and bind the edge.

48755659c76780dbce3f90e3d4d8f929.jpg

5413ecd51f5b5f1552ccae9a44f7659a.jpg

0a96813f921fd3f376c39ef047e62c51.jpg

919b57c4b8e0c7953326baa00f2d7cff.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk