Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris In The Roaring Twenties

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Dancing in Paris 1929.....nothing profound, no deep philosophy, just drinking, dancing having fun, soaking the atmosphere . That's all.

Inside Zelli's Royal Box Nightclub in Paris, France (real sound)

HadleyH1

One Too Many
"Paris in the Twenties” is an episode of the CBS News documentary series “The Twentieth Century” originally airing April 17, 1960. Hosted by revered newsman Walter Cronkite, the program looks at Paris in the 1920s, a playground and cultural center for Americans.

This film is part of the Periscope Film LLC archive, one of the largest historic military, transportation, and aviation stock footage collections in the USA."

I'm sure those interested in the topic will like this.......I hope.:D

PARIS FRANCE IN THE 1920s AFTERMATH OF WORLD WAR I / LOST GENERATION

A well-known figure in 1920s Paris was Eugene Jacques Bullard (1895-1961) who had quite a varied career: WWI fighter pilot (in fact the first African-American military pilot), jazz musician, boxer and nightclub owner.

B3-Bullard-Air-Ace-and-Box.jpg

HadleyH1

One Too Many
The beauty was so haunting.....so amazing.....in 1920s Paris .......I do understand why so many Americans went to spend a long time there.....it was not only Prohibition or because the franc was so low to the dollar.....it was because of the haunting beauty everywhere ....in my humble opinion....I would have gone there with them....and be buried there LOL!

(all gone now my friends, now France is a Hell, a true Hell as the rest of Europe..........sad.... but that's another topic.... we ONLY and STRICLY talk 1920s here)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The beauty was so haunting.....so amazing.....in 1920s Paris .......I do understand why so many Americans went to spend a long time there.....it was not only Prohibition or because the franc was so low to the dollar.....it was because of the haunting beauty everywhere ....in my humble opinion....I would have gone there with them....and be buried there LOL!

(all gone now my friends, now France is a Hell, a true Hell as the rest of Europe..........sad.... but that's another topic.... we ONLY and STRICLY talk 1920s here)

I was just this morning speaking with an old friend, who has for decades lived in his grandmother's old flat in 7e arrondissment. I asked him when France descended into Hades. He laughed, and said "Not quite yet" and asked me how my knee replacement was holding up.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was just this morning speaking with an old friend, who has for decades lived in his grandmother's old flat in 7e arrondissment. I asked him when France descended into Hades. He laughed, and said "Not quite yet" and asked me how my knee replacement was holding up.

I have to agree with Vitanola's old friend. +1 and then some.

HadleyH1

One Too Many

"Not quite yet...."

Almost there though.

Sad but true.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"Not quite yet...."

Almost there though.

Sad but true.

Msr. Arno has a wicked sense humor. I can assure you that he in no way supports your assertion. When were you last over? If you found Paris distressing you might find Budapest, Lvow, or Bratislava more to your taste.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Msr. Arno has a wicked sense humor. I can assure you that he in no way supports your assertion. When were you last over? If you found Paris distressing you might find Budapest, Lvow, or Bratislava more to your taste.

When I was in Budapest I really liked it....you know....nice Hotel and all that....

Paris I have been so many times in the past..... that Paris is no mo.

No more.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
When I was in Budapest I really liked it....you know....nice Hotel and all that....

Paris I have been so many times in the past..... that Paris is no mo.

No more.

Well, yes. Just as the New York of our youth is no more, or the London, or Berlin, or Prague. I personally find the changes to New York over the past forty years to have been more drastic than those which Paris has seen. Of course, I lived for some years in New York, and knew it with an intimacy that a few weeks at a time twice a decade for 40 years in a foreign city cannot give. I have generally seen that city from the sleepy, little changing, 7e arr. where my friend has lived for so many years.
I do notice a change in the complexions of passers by in the central city, though.

These days, we Americans no longer dominate the tourist haunts of Europe, for there are now hundreds of millions of members of the rising middle classes in East Asia who have both the desire and the means to see the great sights of The Old World, just as we are discovering the delights of the East.

Last edited:

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Well, yes. Just as the New York of our youth is no more, or the London, or Berlin, or Prague. I personally find the changes to New York over the past forty years to have been more drastic than those which Paris has seen. Of course, I lived for some years in New York, and knew it with an intimacy that a few weeks at a time twice a decade for 40 years in a foreign city cannot give. I have generally seen that city from the sleepy, little changing, 7e arr. where my friend has lived for so many years.
I do notice a change in the complexions of passers by in the central city, though.

These days, we Americans no longer dominate the tourist haunts of Europe, for there are now hundreds of millions of members of the rising middle classes in East Asia who have both the desire and the means to see the great sights of The Old World, just as we are discovering the delights of the East.

I know. ^

All I say is....stop the Islamic invasion of Europe.

That's all I say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points