Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Parting Men's Hair: Where Should I Part Mine?

I tell my barber to cut my hair like I will comb it all straight back.
It naturally parts over my right eye, so that is how I wear it.
I'm right handed & brush it with my right hand.
When I had my right wrist rebuilt, it never felt like my hair was properly brushed when I did it left handed....

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
My hair is parted like the Red Sea in a "Moses" style.

Back when I had a choice on where to part it, I went with it on my left side, because of the cow-lick/swirl on the back of my head was on my left side.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
My hair is parted like the Red Sea in a "Moses" style.

a centre part ? the centre part was very big in the early 20s, but very few men attempt it today.

ScreenShot2013-06-04at075958_zps9ec62fc7.png

ScreenShot2013-06-04at080105_zpsac5359b9.png

ScreenShot2013-06-04at080307_zps94cec723.png

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The centre-parting certainly is an odd choice. I've tried it. It looks dreadful on me. I do it sometimes just to make my children laugh.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
walking down the high street in Brighton yesterday i was shocked to see the number of traditional short-back-and-sides haircuts on the young generation. usually neatly side parted with a small quiff in the 'executive contour' manner. ok, they still wear skinny jeans, but it's strange how popular it has become.... it almost makes me look trendy ! (who's their role model ?)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
walking down the high street in Brighton yesterday i was shocked to see the number of traditional short-back-and-sides haircuts on the young generation. usually neatly side parted with a small quiff in the 'executive contour' manner. ok, they still wear skinny jeans, but it's strange how popular it has become.... it almost makes me look trendy ! (who's their role model ?)
Do you think that this might have something to do with it?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-Pattinson-lead-trend-men-going-barbers.html

Belt-tightening and budgeting have been a feature of our ailing economy for years – but at last there’s a reason to celebrate an increase in cuts.
Barber shops are enjoying a sudden boost, driven by the demand by young men for cheap clipped styles over the more expensive fashions offered by unisex salons.
More than 150 new premises opened in the UK last year – a rise of 8 per cent in High Streets and shopping centres and 6.24 per cent overall.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
GHT, i doubt any of those mentioned in the article are relevant enough for the 16-19 year olds. TT had mentioned a footballer who may have started it all off (can't remember his name, but not Beckham) or maybe a band ?

bit like this minus the beard:

tumblr_mlxdvgvdNC1qdvgu4o1_500.jpg

or a bit longer like this:

16992_363441177082354_230458650_n.jpg

or this, but again the stubble is more for the older hipster than the younger generation:

dscf8347b.jpg

...these styles are literally everywhere !

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The footballer was Scott Parker - but that was a couple of years back.

Your mate 'Barmey' is young - maybe he'll know?

I'll ask my son, he wears a side parting (and claims it's nothing to do with copying his dad).

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
No, I mean there's nothing but a wide expanse in the middle surrounded by two walls of hair. Think Captain Picard.

Cool pictures, though. I bet more guys could get away with a center part if their clothes looked the part as well.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I always use those mugshots as haircut/ style inspiration for a devil-may-care style. But then it dawned on me: all those guys had hat hair! Not that it mattered, but it explains many of those wild "long on top" styles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points