Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pattern Search

olive bleu

One Too Many
Hi Ladies, I haven't been on here for ages.. and my goodness, the layout has changed! Took me a while to even find the Powder Room ! I am embarking on a little project, and knew this was the place to come for help...I want to make a dress , similar to the one, my Great-Great grandmother is wearing in this photo , the lady in the white sandals.... a pretty basic design.. i would like to make it as close as possible , right down to the pattern on the fabric. Will hopefully wear to an event i am attending in Scotland this June. I am hoping one of you can steer me towards a pattern that looks like this? Thanks so much!
10414861_809167525870963_6748250370351555722_n.jpg

St. Louis

Practically Family
The fabric print looks like an irregular polka dot in at least 2 colors. It was probably a fluid rayon fabric. For the dress pattern, I'd suggest trying to find something with a built-up neckline. The rest of the bodice and skirt should be easy enough to adapt. There are probably two gores in the skirt front & likely in the back as well. This is a beautiful dress and would be flattering on anyone! I adore the shoes.

I'm editing this to include a suggestion for the pattern. Eva Dress has a great postwar dress pattern that should work reasonably well: http://www.evadress.com/4185.html

What's nice about this pattern is that it comes in multiple sizes. I would say that the dress pattern is almost exactly the same year as the one in the photo. I don't know how much experience you have altering patterns -- for this one, just leave out the openings at the shoulder and gather them instead. That should be very easy. The skirt here is probably more complicated than the one in the photo, but the overall fit and style are very close.

Last edited:

olive bleu

One Too Many
Thanks so much, ladies.. I realize I asked this question and then kinda disappeared.. :p
These are all wonderful suggestions, which I will keep tucked away for now as I found a piece of fabric that I simply HAD to use for this specific event , and it took me in a WHOLE different direction..LOL. But this dress project will be revisited soon...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff