Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat Sterlingwear or Schott ?

HARRY PALMER

New in Town
Hello everybody , first post on here , however long time member and lurker . I am a UK based poster and I am 52 years of age , my question is this , please could any of you fellow members enlighten me as to whether the Sterlinwear Pea Coat is better quality than the new Schott one. Many thanks in anticipation of some helpful comments .

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Welcome to the Lounge, Harry.

I recently tried on some Schott pea coats at Burlington Coat Factory (a discount chain in the U.S.). Because they were there, I am not sure whether they were the same as they sell on their website - although I am pretty sure that they had the same number, 740. Another possibility is that they may have had small manufacturing defects, since they were selling for about $140 - as opposed to $220.

Anyway, my impression was that it was a decent coat that fit true to modern sizing. But it was a far cry from the quality of my WWII peacoat, which has heavier, more dense wool, a slimmer fit, corduroy pockets, and throat latch.

Are you looking for a common size? If so, you could definitely find a vintage pea coat for the same price range - and probably much less.

But if you want a new one, the Schott will do just fine.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Oh, one other thing was that it was 80% wool, 20% nylon (as opposed to the 75% wool, 15% nylon advertised on the website). Wool-nylon blend jackets definitely give a softer, spongier feel than pure wool. It depends on what you want.

HARRY PALMER

New in Town
Many thanks for your reply Philalethes , I have two Schott wool coats at present , but the second one I have more recently purchased I consider to be inferior to the first quality wise. This is why I was considering buying one from Sterlingwear. I would love to own a vintage one , it does not have to be mint condition just acceptable . I have had trouble finding one to fit me , I would be a size 42 long and these are quite rare. I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction for one of these , I live in hope. Thanks again for your reply .

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I think I reported here that I observed some poor-quality pea coats labeled as Schotts in my local Burlington Coat Factory last year. I think they are putting their name on some cheap models made overseas that are far inferior to their standard coats, to get more market share and visibility.

From what I've seen, all three American makers - Schott, Sterlingwear, and Fidelity - make quite serviceable coats... even if they're not really comparable to vintage Navy-issue samples.

Anyway, I have a Sterlingwear (a 10-button "Classic") and am very happy with it. I got it as a bargain closeout from the always-low-prices-and-great-service Barre Army-Navy Store... who I see have a closeout sale underway on Sterlingwear and Fidelity peacoats right now: http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/peacoat-closeout-sale-c1066.aspx

JanSolo

Practically Family
I can only recommend to get a vintage Kersey peacoat. Neither the Schott nor the Sterlingwear are badly put together ....but comparing one of those to a mint condition vintage one is like comparing apples and pears.
The quality of workmanship, the cloth, the real bakelite buttons everything feels and looks more like something you would (today) get from a bespoke tailor.

Sterlingwear and Schott use pressed and napped wool blends (melton) which looks fuzzy and doesn't age nicely. Schott and Fidelity even use reprocessed wool (shredded old wool clothing re-spun and piece dyed...yuk) Schotts tend to fit quite boxy whereas the Sterlingwear Authentic is very close fitting with a sharp look to it.
BUT no matter how good a Schott or Sterlinwear can be, if you ever lay your hands on a 60s or early 70s vintage peacoat you don't want anything else...period!!

Here's a good source for excellent quality vintage coats:

http://www.vintagetrends.com/milita...SC=Jackets/Coats&ST=Navy+Pea+Coat&SS=&Page=1&

I've bought two jackets from them during the last 12 months and I was always more than pleased with their products.

BTW: Here's a pic or two of my mint '68 Dale. Expect your future coat to be similar in fit and appearance. Note the short and soft but ultra dense nap of the cloth (horn buttons are NOT original). At that magnification Melton would look like blue steel/wire wool:

5335507282_f75f25a92c_z.jpg

5335191037_0d87345f23_z.jpg

Re proper sizing...please read Peacoat's excellent sticky thread. What are your exact measurements?

Last edited:

HARRY PALMER

New in Town
I can only recommend to get a vintage Kersey peacoat. Neither the Schott nor the Sterlingwear are badly put together ....but comparing one of those to a mint condition vintage one is like comparing apples and pears.
The quality of workmanship, the cloth, the real bakelite buttons everything feels and looks more like something you would (today) get from a bespoke tailor.

Sterlingwear and Schott use pressed and napped wool blends (melton) which looks fuzzy and doesn't age nicely. Schott and Fidelity even use reprocessed wool (shredded old wool clothing re-spun and piece dyed...yuk) Schotts tend to fit quite boxy whereas the Sterlingwear Authentic is very close fitting with a sharp look to it.
BUT no matter how good a Schott or Sterlinwear can be, if you ever lay your hands on a 60s or early 70s vintage peacoat you don't want anything else...period!!

Here's a good source for excellent quality vintage coats:

http://www.vintagetrends.com/milita...SC=Jackets/Coats&ST=Navy+Pea+Coat&SS=&Page=1&

I've bought two jackets from them during the last 12 months and I was always more than pleased with their products.

BTW: Here's a pic or two of my mint '68 Dale. Expect your future coat to be similar in fit and appearance. Note the short and soft but ultra dense nap of the cloth (horn buttons are NOT original). At that magnification Melton would look like blue steel/wire wool:

5335507282_f75f25a92c_z.jpg

5335191037_0d87345f23_z.jpg

Re proper sizing...please read Peacoat's excellent sticky thread. What are your exact measurements?
Many thanks for replying to me,it was very informative. You asked my measurements , I am 6 ' 2'' and I have a 42 '' chest with fairly long arms though . I must say that all the replies so far have been very helpful I do appreciate it.

JanSolo

Practically Family
You asked my measurements , I am 6 ' 2'' and I have a 42 '' chest with fairly long arms though

Size 40L for a sharp military fit, size 42L for a very relaxed fit with a lot of room for layering. My father has a true 42 inch chest (at almost 6 ft.) and takes a 40 R which fits perfect. Still enough room for a shirt and woolen jumper...

This size recommendation is for vintage peacoats only!! Don't know much about Schott sizing...

I don't think Jan is a real person. It's a model-like mannequin in someone's yard that uses it to post pics of the dozens of great jackets this "person" has to make us all jealous. Must be someone who wants to keep a low profile :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto