Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Anybody tried the pencil mustache? This was fairly common back in the day. Today we see every type of mustache and beard combinations but nary a pencil mustache. Who's got the guts to try? Too creepy?

I'll work one up over the week and post a pick. Anybody else?

m

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I got yer creepy

I had one for about ten years.

Uh, when I was in my early twenties... it didn't grow in so well.... and I... darkened it a bit.
One night, on a date, I kissed her and was HoRrIfIeD to see the smudges on the poor beautiful young lady's upper lip!

She looked just like a young Joan crawford too. Drat.

A deep dark secret revealed.

Moral: To pull it off, you need somewhat thick whiskers, and very dark. Eventually, both came along. But sheesh. That awful night.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've had one for a few years. They're a little more work in shaping, but well worth the effort.

MyFace.jpg

Brad

Bebop

Practically Family
This may sound strange but I think a pencil mustache looks feminine. Or better said, too dainty. Any facial hair that needs too much tending, like the overly shaped and contoured beards that mostly young guys like, needs too much "mirror time".

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Nefarious it is then.

Marc Chevalier said:
Mustaches are tricky. They look better on men that have straight, horizontal mouthlines than on those whose mouthlines slope.

A good mustache: __

A nefarious-looking mustache: /\

/\
Maybe I'll go for a Vincent Price look.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Bebop said:
This may sound strange but I think a pencil mustache looks feminine.

I can see where some folks might not think it's as masculine as other mustaches, but it doesn't matter to me what others think. I wanted to bring back a long-gone style. I figure if it's good enough for William Powell and Clark Gable, it's good enough for me.:)

It's also a nice compromise for my wife, as she doesn't normally like mustaches on me, but she likes this one.

Brad

Pencil to grease pen.

I can grow a 'stache after a couple of months but since it is not full by any means it won't survive such trimming.

My dad always refered to the pencil style as a misplaced eyebrow.

You can still find it in the male population from Mexico from time to time.

I think it shows well if it doesn't look fussy or snooty.

"Say the secret word and divide a hundred dollars between you!"

J.B.

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
I've had one for a few years. They're a little more work in shaping, but well worth the effort.

MyFace.jpg

Brad

Dayum! That is one hellaciously fine 'stash!!! :arated:

I'm almost tempted to try and "convert" mine but I think it's just too blond to bother?! :icon_smil

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I have two friends with pencil mustaches, both have black hair and heavy stubble (one's Italian, the other black Irish). Yet they both are forced to resort towards maintaining their 'staches with coloring agents (one uses "Just for Men" the other uses a Sharpie marker blotted with a paper towel). Was it common for men back in the 30's and 40's to color theit mustaches as well?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not if they did any kissing, chum.

Brad, I noticed that mustache not long after joining. Always thought it suited you perfectly. If I could do one like that...

And that waters guy? Ghastly.

Naama

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Uh, when I was in my early twenties... it didn't grow in so well.... and I... darkened it a bit.
One night, on a date, I kissed her and was HoRrIfIeD to see the smudges on the poor beautiful young lady's upper lip!

She looked just like a young Joan crawford too. Drat.

Great story! :D

Katt in Hat said:
John Waters has best pencil 'stash extant. :deadhorse

john-waters.jpg

I think John Waters somehow looks kinda hot............................................ Maybe hot isn't the right word, but he got the special something......

Ah, I like pencil moustaches! clevispin, can't wait to see yours!

Naama

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Orlando Bloom has one sometimes, and a lot of girls are crazy about him...

pirates_of_the_caribbean_bloom_in_hat.jpg

Bloom sporting a presursor to the fedora in Pirates of the Caribbean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana