• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Pencil Mustache

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by clevispin, Feb 24, 2006.

1. clevispin

clevispin One of the Regulars

Anybody tried the pencil mustache? This was fairly common back in the day. Today we see every type of mustache and beard combinations but nary a pencil mustache. Who's got the guts to try? Too creepy?

I'll work one up over the week and post a pick. Anybody else?

m

2. Does mine qualify?

Or does it need more cropping? I think that technically, mine doesn't yet qualify,.....I've got a ways to go with it yet.

3. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I got yer creepy

I had one for about ten years.

Uh, when I was in my early twenties... it didn't grow in so well.... and I... darkened it a bit.
    One night, on a date, I kissed her and was HoRrIfIeD to see the smudges on the poor beautiful young lady's upper lip!

She looked just like a young Joan crawford too. Drat.

A deep dark secret revealed.

Moral: To pull it off, you need somewhat thick whiskers, and very dark. Eventually, both came along. But sheesh. That awful night.

4. Mustaches are tricky. They look better on men that have straight, horizontal mouthlines than on those whose mouthlines slope.

A good mustache: __

A nefarious-looking mustache: /\

5. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

I've had one for a few years. They're a little more work in shaping, but well worth the effort.

[​IMG]

Brad

6. This may sound strange but I think a pencil mustache looks feminine. Or better said, too dainty. Any facial hair that needs too much tending, like the overly shaped and contoured beards that mostly young guys like, needs too much "mirror time".

7. That's a classic example of straight mustache. No droop here!

8. Nefarious it is then.

/\
    Maybe I'll go for a Vincent Price look.

9. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

I can see where some folks might not think it's as masculine as other mustaches, but it doesn't matter to me what others think. I wanted to bring back a long-gone style. I figure if it's good enough for William Powell and Clark Gable, it's good enough for me.:)

It's also a nice compromise for my wife, as she doesn't normally like mustaches on me, but she likes this one.

Brad

10. maintcoder

maintcoder A-List Customer

Hey!

Don't I count?

[​IMG]

11. maintcoder

maintcoder A-List Customer

And...

Sweet moustaches, Nick and Brad... very nice indeed!

12. Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers I'll Lock Up

Glad to see several of us are daring and dashing.:cool2:

Brad

13. I think it looks really cool!

14. Pencil to grease pen.

I can grow a 'stache after a couple of months but since it is not full by any means it won't survive such trimming.

My dad always refered to the pencil style as a misplaced eyebrow.

You can still find it in the male population from Mexico from time to time.

I think it shows well if it doesn't look fussy or snooty.

"Say the secret word and divide a hundred dollars between you!"

15. Baltimore's best; next to Mencken

John Waters has best pencil 'stash extant. :deadhorse

[​IMG]

16. J.B.

J.B. Practically Family

Dayum! That is one hellaciously fine 'stash!!! :arated:

I'm almost tempted to try and "convert" mine but I think it's just too blond to bother?! :icon_smil

17. MudInYerEye

MudInYerEye Practically Family

I have two friends with pencil mustaches, both have black hair and heavy stubble (one's Italian, the other black Irish). Yet they both are forced to resort towards maintaining their 'staches with coloring agents (one uses "Just for Men" the other uses a Sharpie marker blotted with a paper towel). Was it common for men back in the 30's and 40's to color theit mustaches as well?

18. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Not if they did any kissing, chum.

Brad, I noticed that mustache not long after joining. Always thought it suited you perfectly. If I could do one like that...

And that waters guy? Ghastly.

19. Naama

Naama Practically Family

Great story! :D

I think John Waters somehow looks kinda hot............................................ Maybe hot isn't the right word, but he got the special something......

Ah, I like pencil moustaches! clevispin, can't wait to see yours!

Naama

20. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

Orlando Bloom has one sometimes, and a lot of girls are crazy about him...

[​IMG]

Bloom sporting a presursor to the fedora in Pirates of the Caribbean