Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
Here you go, Mud. Clubman makes it, but I haven't seen it locally, so I just order it from ClassicShaving.com. The nice thing is a little bit goes a long way.

Brad

Thanks for the link, Brad. I have a bit more grey on one side of my moustache that this may be the trick to 'even' it out. BTW, your signature says it all! :cheers1:

SleepyDutch

New in Town
Brad Bowers said:
Here you go, Mud. Clubman makes it, but I haven't seen it locally, so I just order it from ClassicShaving.com. The nice thing is a little bit goes a long way.

Brad

Yep. That's the brand I use too. Available locally here at a nearby drugstore (or what passes for one nowadays anyway). No pencil-thin here. I've got a huge bushy handlebar. Somedays more bushy ... and less handlebar.

Richard

Would this count?

Another excuse for some Django pics ...

DJ1947(vandamme).jpg

Django1000.jpg

bk

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Getting that pencil line moustache so sharp you could cut cards with it!!

That Gable, Coleman, Flynn, Hughes...classic look moustache. I know our own Brad has got one, but how do you manage to get it to look just so? Do you need a cut throat to get the edging? for that sharp lined vintage look? and how do you cut the lines so squarely (do I need a set square???? :)

Anyone who has been there, or is there...please do share the secrets to that 30s Hollywood pencil line moustache for gents!!!

color.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
First of all, for a pencil moustache, you need the appropriate growth of beard. I'm serious, otherwise it just won't come out. I read once that a pencil moustache is considered manly exactly because it requires a strong growth of darker hairs. Rather silly idea, by the way, as a pencil moustache looks very cared for and groomed - which doesn't fit into the cliché of "manly" that the onlookers probably have.

Here, f'r a laugh, is what came out the other day when I shaved my full beard. It's ridiculous. The "pencil" is hardly visible because the form of the basic moustache at my disposal isn't suitable, I don't have much hairs in the middle part, and most of all, the shaved parts still have so dark a background you can hardly see the difference between shaved and pencil moustache.

So, here's the pic, reduced to the mouth section for reasons of internet privacy, not out of shame :D. (Pretty funny image it is originally, the last but one of a series of five.)

pencil.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
The key is PRACTICE and being careful.

Here's my tips.

1) Right out of the shower throw on your favorite cream or gel and shave as you normally would. Some people insist on a straight razor, but if you don't know how to use one, or are just starting out, stick to a standard safety razor.

2) Wash away all the shaving cream; It's important that you can see where your shaving. then grab some clippers and trim that 'stache, but not too short. As was mentioned before, if the hair is to thin or light, it won't come out right.

3) Take a good long look at your own face, smile and see the natural wrinkles in your face. Keep this in mind when you are shaving for symmetry's sake.

4) Grab that razor again and gradually start shaping your 'stache thinner and thinner. Pay attention to keeping the hairline straight. Start small and stay small. It's important to rinse the blade consistently to avoid build-up which will lead to inconsistent lines.

5) When you've reached a close to desired shape and width then STOP! Don't get over zealous!

OR

...You can just get an experienced barber to do it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John Waters, the filmmaker, has a very serious pencil moustache. So did Kid Creole (of "Kid Creole and the Coconuts" fame). Waters once said that he used a small vintage safety razor (less than 1 inch wide) to shave under his nose and make his moustache ride his upper lip.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
That's KID Creole...

I wore a Pencil mo' for several years but eventually dropped the idea because I was not happy with the way it looked- due my dark, heavy beard, the 5 o'clock shadow, even after a fresh, close shave, is too dark for the lip-worm to look spot on.
Maybe I'll try again...

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112