Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i tried a pencil moustache and had a similar problem to Shaul Ike. my facial hair is a blond/ginger/dark brown mixture and too uneven to work. aside from that it made me look like a creepy ponce.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Black felt tip pen.

Works for more serious moustaches as well:

groucho.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Like Christopher Walken's '30s pimp character in the (American) movie, Pennies from Heaven?

i haven't seen that film but i can imagine the result....and the answer would be yes. (having said that there was a definite errol flynn vibe too. but i suppose if you put a pencil moustache on a vacuum cleaner it would look like errol flynn...or gable)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hey Paddy,

As resortes805 said, practice is what it takes.

I was afraid to try with a regular size razor at first, so I bought one of these babies: Merkur Moustache Razor.

It's very small, and uses unique double-edge blades, one side is 1/4" and the other is 5/8". It works great for sculpting that pencil 'stache. Once you have it to where you like, you can always use your regular razor to maintain it.

I've gotten good enough now to sculpt and maintain my moustache with my regular razor, and haven't used the small one in a year and a half. It's kind of like training wheels on a bicycle, I guess!

Best of luck, Paddy, and let us know how it grows!

Brad

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Not too rich or too thin...maybe too much Bronson

I tried,but couldn't quite reach perfection. I must renew with greater vigor (and a steadier hand..:rolleyes: )
almostpencilthin0zk.jpg

BTW, this is the first time I've appeared online..I think my hairs have stagefright!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I met a fellow who wore a pencil beard and it was perfect. I asked him the secret and he said, "practice".

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Practice, and being aware in advance of what one wants to cut. Exactly along the upper lip line? Or a strictly horizontal line? How far down at the sides? How thin? Same thinness all over?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
And here (stolen from another thread) is a nice picture showing two different types of pencil moustache. The left one's more straight, an impression which is enforced through the bearer's facial expression, while the one to the right is more in line with the upper lip.

1-new.jpg

left: straight, distance from lip, even width. Effect: sucker.

right: natural lip line, close to the lip, narrowing towards the sides. Effect: trickster.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Photo of Paddy Flynn and his 30's moustache...

I think our own home grown Brad is the king of the pencil taches right now in this place. You look so sharp my man!! I could cut myself on that piece of art.

Anyway, just back from a week in Ireland and here's the new look Paddy. Comments I've had range from folk hating it, to thinking it's not too bad. Of course my mother said, (and it's got to be done with an Irish accent!): [/I]"Sure...you're not looking like yourself these days!!" ..."I tink it makes you look a little bit shifty, like you were selling lucky knickers out of the back of a lorry." Thanks mum!!!

It does seem to change the face somewhat.

I'll be sporting it on Sunday, as there is a 1930's themed Argentinian Tango party I'm going to.

Deep breath...here goes!!!

Flynn1.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Sefton said:
I tried,but couldn't quite reach perfection. I must renew with greater vigor (and a steadier hand..:rolleyes: )
almostpencilthin0zk.jpg

BTW, this is the first time I've appeared online..I think my hairs have stagefright!

You're getting there. And really,...think about it. Any facial hair thing is an ever changing work in progress. Never really done.
Opus143.jpg

Me, circa 1940. ;)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
And here (stolen from another thread) is a nice picture showing two different types of pencil moustache. The left one's more straight, an impression which is enforced through the bearer's facial expression, while the one to the right is more in line with the upper lip.

1-new.jpg

left: straight, distance from lip, even width. Effect: sucker.

right: natural lip line, close to the lip, narrowing towards the sides. Effect: trickster.
Yes, but I can't seem to stop looking at that "Zebra" tie!

Maj.Nick Danger, The shape you've got there is really good. Very William Powell. I'm now working on a new pencil. I'd like to get one of those tiny razors but for now I'm trying an electric trimmer. Not very 'Golden Era' but as the saying goes; "Only my hairdresser knows for sure!" Oh, yeah...everyone reading this too!lol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Walt and his thin but not so pencil moustache.

Walt_in_office.JPG

Or the mighty voice behind Tony the Tiger & Paul Bunyan, and the original singer of the "You're a mean one Mr. Grinch." Thurl Ravenscroft
thurl_ravenscroft.jpg

Or how about Have Gun Will Travel, Richard Boone
richard-boone-c.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points