Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pencil Mustache

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
Grooming the lip

Ok, now i finally got my own little "clark gable mustache" going so i can join the club now. Is been hard and painfull work, but its sort of there! :D

Some questions: What could a gent do to keep the mustache-hairs from going *sproing* in all directions, and more "flat/down". I have heard that some
moustache-gents slept with a pad on the lip to keep the mustache tidy.
Maby there is even a certain product you could use to balm the mustache?

Anyone who has some stories to tell in this area?

Feraud

Bartender
Hammelby said:
Some questions: What could a gent do to keep the mustache-hairs from going *sproing* in all directions, and more "flat/down". I have heard that some
moustache-gents slept with a pad on the lip to keep the mustache tidy.
Maby there is even a certain product you could use to balm the mustache?
Periodic brushing should help train the hair and/or try a moustache wax.
Good luck

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Baggers said:
HEY! My wife resembles that remark! lol

Cheers!
Yeah. Me too. It is humid here!

back to the subject...I wonder if a barber could help, when I used to cut hair I would also trim beards and mustaches, but using clippers, not a razor (yikes!)

My boyfriend is also working on his mustache...it must be that time of year.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Here's my moustache roll model -

Charley.jpg

Go Grandad Charley! :eusa_clap Clark has got nothing on you, Niv comes a close second...;)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Paddy- lookin' dapper, there! I love that suit and the hanky has just enough flair.
I had to sport a moustache for a role in my friend's movie short...so with the help of a female costar's eye liner pencil....

DSC01400.jpg

IMG_3460-vi.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All I could think seeing the picture with the suit, pencil moustache & corncob pipe was there had to be a joke in there about Charlie Chan's number one son goes to the Ozarks or something...

But that's one great looking suit!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Thanks, Henrik. I suppose here it can be considered a compliment...if you said that on the street I might've had to pop a cap in yo arse. Jk. The suit is a Super 120 Wool/Cashmere gray chalkstripe. I spent like 10 mins. debating between a lighter shade of gray or this shade of gray while I was at the tailor. The fabric has this sort of texture- it's kinda textured, so it isn't just a flat twill serge.
Here's a big picture of a suit that has a similar texture. (It's a big picture, so it may take a few seconds to load.)
http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Bogart, Humphrey/Annex/Annex - Bogart, Humphrey (Maltese Falcon, The)_01.jpg

The real Henry

Practically Family
Yes, I meant it as a compliment!;)

Again I've to that it's a great suit and yeah, I can see what you're talking about!
May I ask you what you paid for that one?

Regards,
Henrik

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
For fun, I tried a pencil moustache some days ago, in fact a Charlie Chan one that continues down, or, to quote Chandler's Finger Man (1934),

He had a thin mustache that was trimmed in two sharp lines almost at right angles to each other. They came down below the corners of his mouth a full inch. The effect was Oriental.

Not surprisingly, it's very difficult to do that with an electric shaver.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Pencil thin!? Never liked 'em. Never wanted one, and will never have one. Just about every time I see someone wearing one in an old B movie, you immediately know who the villian is going to be BEFORE the character is even introduced. ;)

Wax? http://www.handlebarclub.co.uk/waxindex.htm

I'm at the age I've just let my moustache go to seed.:p

Regards! Michaelson

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Michaelson's Battle of Britain tache!

Michaelson, that's the type of handlebar number that was often seen in the RAF sported by fighter pilots during WWII. It's got bags of character and I dare say is great for carrying a few bottles of malt in too!

But, I'm still a beginner at this moustache malarkey, and the old Flynn tache is the one I'm trying to still perfect.

ErrolFlynn009.jpg

Having said that, I haven't had a good word said about it, and some folk are quite derogatory about it to my face, which is a big shame...'for them!'
I'm sticking with it, as at the end of the day, I'm the guy who has got to live with it. And when I get bored, then, and only then, can I whip it off :)

Currently looking at the possibility of a straight open razor (cut throat) which might get some sharper lines in this baby!
Flynn1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points