Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pet Stains

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I recently purchased a gorgeous vintage down and rayon satin comforter…only to come home one day to a kitty “accident” on it. Luckily there is no staining, but the smell is terrible…I have a great product I’ve used in the past (Nature’s Miracle), but it is mostly isopropyl alcohol and I’m terrified it will destroy the satin (or the down). The same company also makes a laundry detergent, which I have used in the past (though the alcohol stuff works better)…I know the cleaner will say they could get a stain out but not the odor.

So, what should I do? Soak the spot with the alcohol treatment? Try soaking the entire quilt in a soapy tub using the special detergent?

The stain is on the older side, maybe 2 weeks, because I’ve been hemming and hawing over what the heck I should do about it. Advice, warnings, and moral support are welcome!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Id put it in a plastic sealed container covered in baking soda for a few days. Check it to see about the smell, and replace the soda as needed.

LD

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
Id put it in a plastic sealed container covered in baking soda for a few days. Check it to see about the smell, and replace the soda as needed.

LD
I would do the same thing. Or, instead of baking soda, you could use clumping kitty litter with baking soda in it. This works for various odors, not just kitty accidents. Hmf, if they weren't so darn cute, cuddly and furry!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
So just cover the comforter with dry baking soda? My concern is that I'm not actually *cleaning* the comforter, especially the feathers inside (eeew)...

Seriously, cats and vintage are sometimes just a bad combo.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Soda (dry) will do nothing to the comforter. It will nutralize the odor and the feathers will be fine, heck maybe even better, smell wise at least :)

LD

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nature's Miracle does work great on places like carpets though folks. Anyone with indoor pets can benefit from it. Good stuff!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB