Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Petticoats

Where do you get your petticoats?

• I don't wear petticoats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I buy my petticoats new

• I buy vintage petticoats

• I make my petticoats

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I made a circle skirt and now I need a petticoat to go with it. I tried making one but it's been such a hassle. I was wondering where everyone gets their petticoats?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I didn't respond to the poll because you don't have my answer. I've done both, buy and make. My recommendation is that is you want a smaller petticoat for everyday wear, make a tiered skirt in cotton. If you want a big, fluffy skirt for going out or a special occasion, buy a new or vintage tulle one.

Inky

One Too Many

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I would like to wear petticoats but don't. This is because I am too lazy to make my own (and I hate sewing gathers), and I haven't been able to find a nice vintage one that's affordable. I'm not really keen on buying a new one. The soft, frothy, chiffon-textured vintage ones are much better. You can find new ones like this also. I think they're much better than tulle (I think Kamikat meant chiffon, not tulle. Tulle is netting, not the same as what vintage petticoats are made of).

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
KittyT, I have the first one that Inky linked, and it is really soft. That's why I bought it. I'm fortunate enough to live close to the store that sells them and could feel it in person before buying it. The softness is what sold me.

I also have three vintage petticoats, and always choose the modern one to wear because I like it better.

Go figure.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I know...I know...there is another thread...it just hasn't been updated since '08

I have a really awesome circle skirt that's about 28" long, my question for all the lovely ladies who wear petticoats, is there a length that your petticoat should be? If i was to get one that was say...25" long, would it look funny under the skirt?

Inky

One Too Many
I like my petticoat to be the length of my skirt or just short of it. Too short and then the hem of your skirt won't hang properly. A petticoat is underwear, it's not meant to hang out below your skirt.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Inky said:
I like my petticoat to be the length of my skirt or just short of it. Too short and then the hem of your skirt won't hang properly. A petticoat is underwear, it's not meant to hang out below your skirt.

Amen, Sister!

I don't really feel as fancy if people can see the "snow down south"

I've made a couple of petticoats, but my favorite is a hand-me-down I've had for YEARS! I'm looking for a new one, though-- Secrets in Lace has a couple of absolutely adoreable ones! And they're cheap, too-- the one I'm looking at is $29, $36 with shipping.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
I would like to wear petticoats but don't. This is because I am too lazy to make my own (and I hate sewing gathers), and I haven't been able to find a nice vintage one that's affordable. I'm not really keen on buying a new one. The soft, frothy, chiffon-textured vintage ones are much better. You can find new ones like this also. I think they're much better than tulle (I think Kamikat meant chiffon, not tulle. Tulle is netting, not the same as what vintage petticoats are made of).

No, the vintage one I have is tulle, the same scratchy stuff used in bridal veils. I do have a chiffon one, but it's not nearly as pouffy as the tulle one.

P

Paul

kamikat said:
No, the vintage one I have is tulle, the same scratchy stuff used in bridal veils. I do have a chiffon one, but it's not nearly as pouffy as the tulle one.

I have a black vintage one kamikat your description really fits mine I cannot help to think it must w have been worith somthing under it , mine is not so full as some and described as a daytime one,
I cannot think many ladies would have put up wearing it for 8 or 10 hours? slighlty :eek:fftopic:
A soft one would not be as full unless the use yards and years of fabric then in my view they become more a pettycoat. :eusa_doh:

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Paul said:
I cannot think many ladies would have put up wearing it for 8 or 10 hours? slighlty :eek:fftopic:

I've worn one during a 7 hour shift at the Library and then out to dinner and dancing that night. I got used to it-- I always wear a soft slip under mine, though, because the tulle does get a bit scratchy.

I actually really like wearing mine-- I feel super-feminine and pretty, and it makes my waist look WAY tiny.

P

Paul

Oh thank you maggiethespy telling me about the slip,

sounds obvious now but you do not know unless you ask andsome one kind and tells you.

Thanks

Lillemor

One Too Many
I didn't answer the poll either because this is one of those many "must own" items on my vintage wish list which I can't afford to do anything about and I can't sew to save my life. I'm also pretty sure I won't enjoy sewing but I said the same thing about cooking.;)

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Paul said:
Oh thank you maggiethespy telling me about the slip,

sounds obvious now but you do not know unless you ask andsome one kind and tells you.

Thanks

No problem, Paul ;) My grandmother actually suggested a slip after I came home with a rash on my legs from the scratches.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:
I didn't answer the poll either because this is one of those many "must own" items on my vintage wish list which I can't afford to do anything about and I can't sew to save my life.

The ISP is from Denmark but the words could be my own. :)

Actually now I'm thinking I might buy one of those cheap, tiered summer skirts in white crepe, they have them for 10-20 dollars in assorted stores, and use that. Or see if I can get one at the thrift store.

Annalai

New in Town
I wear petticoats and I buy both new and vintage ones but also makes my own. The softest ones made from chiffon will not scratch at all but they also does not give as much fullness like a petticoat made from tulle or organza.

Hope it is ok to post a link to this site. It is all about petticoats they even have information on how to make one.
http://www.pettipond.com/

A piece of text from a book and it is amazing how many petticoats she had with her on a trip.
http://www.pettipond.com/wdress.htm
The book has been reprinted and can be bought here it has fashion advice etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Wife-Dressing-Fine-Being-Well-Dressed/dp/0979338425

Annalai

roselily

One of the Regulars
My mother, who graduated high school in '59, says yes, not only did they wear the scratchy tulle ones all day, they first starched them with plain gelatin, and then she wore two of them. With a regular slip underneath to keep the scratchiness down. (my modern petti's have a layer of chiffon against the skin, then two layers of tulle)

Once, for Christmas, she tied a couple dozen jingle bells to her crinolines before they went to church. Grandma was apparently not pleased :eusa_doh:

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Thanks for all the wonderful replies. This has been really helpful. I tried to make a petticoat again and this time I used the serger to gather my layers and it was so EASY and FAST. I'll post a tutorial soon.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Viola said:
The ISP is from Denmark but the words could be my own. :)

Actually now I'm thinking I might buy one of those cheap, tiered summer skirts in white crepe, they have them for 10-20 dollars in assorted stores, and use that. Or see if I can get one at the thrift store.

I've thought of that and some of them are shorter and fuller than they have been in previous seasons but will they give the "right" fullness? You let me know.;) I've already blown my summer spending budget.

Oh yeah, now I remember my mother talking about starched skirts (she didn't say petticoats but she must've meant that) that were always hanging over my grandma's tiny tub in her Amager apartment. My mother really resented having to wear them. The late 60s and 70s were my mother's time. She's in no way nostalgic about her childhood 46 through 50s. It was a hard and sad time. When she wanted to go down and play, the last thing she wanted to worry about was messing up some starched petticoats or nice dress and shoes!

I am in the middle of making the Alice Lon crinoline. (I ran out of white thread lol )
http://www.pettipond.com/lon.htm

I had a couple of vintage ones but they were too short and made my dresses look like a lamp shade. Hopefully this one will come out long enough. I am making is specifically for Butterick 4513 which has such a full skirt it looks silly with out something under it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points