Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

technovox

One Too Many
I'm curious to get my hands on it. I'll send Gwen an email Monday but my gut says Cal. The collar, lining, gussets and the hand stenciled size tag seem pretty solid as evidence of a Cal. The back design is not the typical for them tho... The more I look at the listing pics the more I think it's not a Taubers. It'll be fun to track it down. Meanwhile this HH early Excelled exists:

Hmmmm…your instincts could be right …the more I look at it, the more similarities I see to my Cal Leather cafes. The zipper type and placement look similar. And so is the arm construction. And the brown snap is similar.

But…the back is very different than typical Cal Leather café, and the collar tab is slightly different- all my CL cafes are cut more at an angle.

What about the zippered sleeves- are they gusseted or open? The mystery continues...

CLCafeCollar_2.jpg

Hmmmm…your instincts could be right …the more I look at it, the more similarities I see to my Cal Leather cafes. The zipper type and placement look similar. And so is the arm construction. And the brown snap is similar.

But…the back is very different than typical Cal Leather café, and the collar tab is slightly different- all my CL cafes are cut more at an angle.

What about the zippered sleeves- are they gusseted or open? The mystery continues...

View attachment 70668
They are open. No leather under the the zips. I'll get some pics up Monday when I actually have it. I've never owned a Cal CR but at least a dozen cross zips have traveled thru my doors...my gut is just leaning that way...some of the small details. I'll surely ring up Gwen. She'll know for sure. Either way... I just hope it fits!

technovox

One Too Many
They are open. No leather under the the zips. I'll get some pics up Monday when I actually have it. I've never owned a Cal CR but at least a dozen cross zips have traveled thru my doors...my gut is just leaning that way...some of the small details. I'll surely ring up Gwen. She'll know for sure. Either way... I just hope it fits!
Open sleeves are pretty rare for that era...and a really good sign...it just might be a Cal Leather!

I'm curious to get my hands on it. I'll send Gwen an email Monday but my gut says Cal. The collar, lining, gussets and the hand stenciled size tag seem pretty solid as evidence of a Cal. The back design is not the typical for them tho... The more I look at the listing pics the more I think it's not a Taubers. It'll be fun to track it down. Meanwhile this HH early Excelled exists:
View attachment 70663
View attachment 70664

Other than the 6 panel back, I literally cannot find a single deviation from the Cal CR design in the jacket you bought. The folded collar, inside sleeve zippers with double stitch rows, folded hem, shape of the shoulder gussets, blacked out snap, etc., etc.

That Excelled needs to be saved now! You gonna bid? Terry? :D

devilish

A-List Customer
My Good Wear version of the J-100 is looking just like Carlos' DD one. I'd guess they are probably made from the same leather? A Horween fully black HH, it is very soft but still tough. It takes on creases almost immediately but so far, at least, mine has not 'scuffed' anywhere. As I have said elsewhere on the forum, I was a bit of a Horween sceptic because of all the so called 'Heritage' brands acting like it's the only leather in existence. I have to say though that this hide has changed my mind. In a brown it would be the perfect HH to make an A-1 type jacket out of. It drapes and forms wonderfully.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Very nice pieces in these last few pages:

Tony do you own the HH Excelled Half belt?

Monitor, what is the maker and type of the red-lined jacket above?

Thanks in advance...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk