Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Fedoras4Life

New in Town
Very nice job there Fedoras4Life! As a man who has fabricated most of his own hat tools (including a heated sandbag and a conformateur) I can certainly appreciate your ingenuity and build skills. If you, however, ever make an outlaw cowboy hat it will cringe at the sight of your setup. (Sorry, couldn't resist the gallows reference).
hahahah.. I got a good laugh from that one :D

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Very nice job there Fedoras4Life! As a man who has fabricated most of his own hat tools (including a heated sandbag and a conformateur) I can certainly appreciate your ingenuity and build skills. If you, however, ever make an outlaw cowboy hat it will cringe at the sight of your setup. (Sorry, couldn't resist the gallows reference).
I would definitely like to see your heated sandbagger.

Hats off to those who have made their own tools. I have been thinking about making my own sandbagger, got some inspiration for it from the citrus press that I have. Figured that the concept is similar just need to scale it larger. This is the juice press I have, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S9G...B3ZCKSAGTHEM6F1Q0&ie=UTF8&qid=1500152151&sr=1 seems close to sandbagger just needs to be bigger and don't have the pressing plate that holds the fruit.

humanshoes

One Too Many
That juicer setup looks like a workable concept to me Chicago. I don't have pictures of my sandbagger and it's currently buried in a closet somewhere. There is a shot in this thread somewhere showing the bagger before the sand went in.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/photos-of-hatters-tools.27503/page-64#post-1809927

Basically two separate bags with a heating pad sandwiched in the middle. I used paracord strung through the grommets for lifting and lowering. It took about a half hour to marginally heat up the sand and I used it for a while with limited success.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Just got a few tools from Mark DeCou yesterday. I've never had a puller downer and I'm looking forward to using it as the need arises. The Foot Tollicker feels great in my hand too, Feels like it was custom made fit. I also added a shot of my pencil roll tool.

tools.jpg

pencil roll tool.jpg

RJR

Fedoras4Life

New in Town
Just got a few tools from Mark DeCou yesterday. I've never had a puller downer and I'm looking forward to using it as the need arises. The Foot Tollicker feels great in my hand too, Feels like it was custom made fit. I also added a shot of my pencil roll tool.

View attachment 79769

View attachment 79770
Mark makes quality tools. I have purchased some things from him as well.

I absolutely love the pencil roll tool. It it antique or did you make it?

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Mark makes quality tools. I have purchased some things from him as well.

I absolutely love the pencil roll tool. It it antique or did you make it?

The pencil roll tool is indeed an antique. I bought it when I originally started my hat business, over 20 years ago. I got it from a hat supply guy in NYC who, like so many others, has since closed. When I bought back all my tools from the guy I had sold my business to, the ONE item I REALLY hoped he still had was that pencil roll tool! BTW - just used the puller downer as I'm starting a fedora and it is great!!

RJR

Curling Shackle (LOVE THAT!) Seriously, I'm learning here... Is that the civilized term for it? I really do need to learn more of the technical nomenclature for hatters tools. I must be sound like a cowboy or something. LOL! ... (oh, wait .. I guess I kind of are one.) o_O
:cool:

humanshoes

One Too Many
Straw Hat Adventure 005.JPG
Straw Hat Adventure 017.JPG
So, you wake up one morning and decide you want to make straw hats for these brutal Tennessee summers. No problem. First, find a 100 year old straw braid hat sewing machine. Second, source the straw. Third, learn how to use the damn machine. Fourth, brush up on your profanity vocabulary. And last but not least, be prepared to start over about a 100 freaking times. After many, many hours bent over the old Willcox & Gibbs machine, and many failures to launch, a Downton Abbey Milan straw hat for a friend (she plans to use a silk scarf for a hatband) and a hemp braid tobacco brown hat for me (temporary hatband I think).

Last edited:

RJR

View attachment 80089 View attachment 80090 So, you wake up one morning and decide you want to make straw hats for these brutal Tennessee summers. No problem. First, find a 100 year old straw braid hat sewing machine. Second, source the straw. Third, learn how to use the damn machine. Fourth, brush up on your profanity vocabulary. And last but not least, be prepared to start over about a 100 freaking times. After many, many hours bent over the old Willcox & Gibbs machine, and many failures to launch, a Downton Abbey Milan straw hat for a friend (she plans to use a silk scarf for a hatband) and a hemp braid tobacco brown hat for me (temporary hatband I think).
I can't imagine the frustration involved in coaxing a century old machine back to life but the products look great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto