Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

navarre

Vendor
Vintage Betty said:
I may be corrected, but to the best of my knowledge, the newer stuff is not what you are looking for; it's either acetate or polyester or occasionally rayon.

You want Petersham in rayon/cotton blend.

I have Petersham in solids I would be happy to sell you. I've sent some vintage ribbon to gentlemen here on the Lounge. A couple people on this thread can vouch for me and I've swapped ribbon with Art (Hi Art! :cool2:)

You can PM me if interested; please provide colors, width and length needed. I do not have any striped Petersham I am selling at this time.

The ribbon I use now is a rayon/cotton blend but not sure of the percentages. Curves well and feels nice.

One Too Many
Fine Tools

I began to get some hats since 3 years ago, moved altrought my father who used lids all his life, also got an used hats and have haved make some re-build and are so necesary this tools, every owner should have its and too a steam mashine to clean and wash hats. Congratulations to post this pictures 'cause learn any more about our leved fedoras.

navarre

Vendor
I was wondering if anybody has a picture of their welting tool. I planning on making one and have an idea, but thought I would ask and see what the real deal looks like.
Thanks

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Tools

Speaking of tools how much should a simple steamer cost me should I find one in a flea market or pawn shop? We have many, many such places where I live and I'd like to get a used steamer, but obviously don't want to get ripped off.

hag

New in Town
oui'. oui'

150719541 said:
I began to get some hats since 3 years ago, moved altrought my father who used lids all his life, also got an used hats and have haved make some re-build and are so necesary this tools, every owner should have its and too a steam mashine to clean and wash hats. Congratulations to post this pictures 'cause learn any more about our leved fedoras.

John, le conformateur! Tres bien! hag

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hi Alan-Eby. the steamer is the one item that is still made today in the USA. i believe they are under 200.00 for a new one. Jiffy is the name of the company. They will sell one to you if you call them. By it new, they dont last forever.

steven
www.bencrafthats.com

jwalls

Vendor
Alan-Eby, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that a few weeks ago I picked up a Jiffy Steamer at a resale shop for $8. I thought I would have to get it rebuilt, but it worked well. Sometimes thing just fall into your lap.:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan-Eby said:
Speaking of tools how much should a simple steamer cost me should I find one in a flea market or pawn shop? We have many, many such places where I live and I'd like to get a used steamer, but obviously don't want to get ripped off.

It really depends on the type of steamer you want. I know this is hard to believe, but I picked up a good steamer at Walgreens <$30. It steams anything ok, but isn't great about dispersing the steam in a fine mist if you get close to the item.

If I had the room, I would have picked up a long-armed steamer used for hanging garments and than steaming the clothing head to toe. For clothing, it would work better than me having to move the item, and for hats, you can choose to stand farther away because it gets HOT when you spend a lot of time steaming items in a small area (like a bathroom).

Costco has a really good one available right now for <$100. If you want a finer mist, you will have to spend normally $100+. You will learn with practice what works best for you, but I would try it on clothing as practice before trying on hats.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I picked these up off of the bay. My wife actually wants these out on display in the house. She thinks they look antique and go with her theme in the livingroom. I wish the block was 7 3/8 or 7 1/4 but I'll keep looking for one of those...
e94b1ea5.jpg

c1a2b75e.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Let's give a bump to this cool thread with some of my tools.

Block Spinner with exchangable wooden rods (Made by my father in-law)

BlockSpinner.jpg

Foot Tollicker:

FootTollicker.jpg

Flange (I have several) and stand I made:

FlangeStand.jpg

Some of my blocks (I have several more):

HatBlocks.jpg

Stretcher:

HatStretcher.jpg

Brim Cutter:

BrimCutter.jpg

Measuring Tool: