Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

alexanderwestwood

New in Town
This might be of interest to the members of the lounge. Two conformateurs are up for auction on this Dutch auctionsite:

View attachment 71537

Thanks for pointing these out steur! The conformateurs are in awesome shape and getting put to good use

Attachments

• IMG_7881.JPG
    IMG_7881.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7864.JPG
    IMG_7864.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 151
Thanks for pointing these out steur! The conformateurs are in awesome shape and getting put to good use
So that's where they went! It's good to know they went to someone who actually uses them. I would have loved to own one of them, but even at the low price they went for they were above my budget. I am still wondering though what the other tools were that came with them.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Hello everybody,

I recently ordered a rounding jack from our own Humanshoes, and last week it arrived. It's a beautiful piece of work!
Rounding jack 005.jpg

Rounding jack 006.jpg

Over the years I've collected hat making tools, and this rounding jack was the last item I needed to make a hat for myself. I ordered some hat bodies from Guy Morse-Brown, and some sweatbands and a liner from the folks at Advintage, and now I'm finally ready to give it a try. Wish me luck!
Rounding jack 004.jpg

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
This might be of interest to the members of the lounge. Two conformateurs are up for auction on this Dutch auctionsite:

https://veiling.catawiki.nl/kavels/...d-millinery-hat-measure-machine-conformateurs

Apparently they came from the Dobesch hat factory in Vienna. I'm not the seller, so I have no stake in this and I expect them to sell for a price that's some way over my budget. Thought I might share.

View attachment 71537
Too bad - looks like that conformer is already sold. =0(

Hello everybody,

I recently ordered a rounding jack from our own Humanshoes, and last week it arrived. It's a beautiful piece of work!
View attachment 76152
View attachment 76153
Over the years I've collected hat making tools, and this rounding jack was the last item I needed to make a hat for myself. I ordered some hat bodies from Guy Morse-Brown, and some sweatbands and a liner from the folks at Advintage, and now I'm finally ready to give it a try. Wish me luck!
View attachment 76154

Can't wait to see your work.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Lounger Humanshoes makes that rounding jack.several have them.
@humanshoes makes a nice rounding Jack and it won't break the bank account like some others out there. I bought one a few months back so that I would have two rounding Jack's and I find myself using this one more. If you are looking for a nicely crafted and very serviceable rounding jack, I do recommend one from Humanshoes.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I will have to have Mike explain what this one does, but he had it modernized with updated electronics and power.

I captured some images of Mike Miller's new equipment at NW Hats in Eugene. I have not seen them in action with actual hats, but wow! Cool stuff!

View attachment 76267
This is a Doran brothers crown iron. Did Mike mention where he found this? I have used it at JW Hats in Utah but outside of that I haven't seen them anywhere.

View attachment 76269
Super curious what this thing is. Any ideas?

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
More shots of Mike's new toys.

View attachment 76270 Sweat band sewing machine
View attachment 76271 View attachment 76272 Cool initial embosser from the turn of the century!

That sewing machine is a clone of the Singer 107-1 sweatband sewing machine. ASM 1107-1 is made in Taiwan I believe. Pretty sure he picked that machine up from JW Hats or possibly from Buckaroo Hatters. I have yet to find out who their supplier is for those machines.

The cummins initial machine is pretty neat, it punches holes in sweatbands so you can put someone's initials in them. They are on ebay all the time.

That sewing machine is a clone of the Singer 107-1 sweatband sewing machine. ASM 1107-1 is made in Taiwan I believe. Pretty sure he picked that machine up from JW Hats or possibly from Buckaroo Hatters. I have yet to find out who their supplier is for those machines.

The cummins initial machine is pretty neat, it punches holes in sweatbands so you can put someone's initials in them. They are on ebay all the time.
Mike said he got the sewing machine from the factory (which is shut down now) through a distributor who is marketing them direct. The initial machine did come from the Bay I think. He said it needed some elbow grease and TLC to get it operational. I like the smaller, understated initials it punches. He used it on my new panama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21